DCB to Midi : Roland MD-8

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

DCB to Midi : Roland MD-8

Post by bhrama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a Juno 60, that I'd like to MIDI sync. Are there other options beside the Roland MD-8? I believe DCB was proprietary, but these converters seem hard to come by, and I was wondering if anyone knew of other angles. I have heard of a Kenton model, but I'm not sure if they are as hard to get as well.

I'm hoping to sync the arp with my MPC 1000
Last edited by bhrama on Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: DCB to Midi : Roland MD-8

Post by Z » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:28 pm

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Looks good, have you bought from these guys before Z?

Also the DCB looks different compared to the one on the back of my Juno, i.e. square on the Juno and round adapter here?

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:41 pm

if you have a spare output on the mpc why don't you send a trigger sample to the arp-clock input on the ju-60?
that's the easiest way to sync the arpeggiator. then you can make irregular arpeggiator patterns too.
a 20 ms pulse (positive only) will do the trick but you have to make sure it's got enough volume...

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:50 pm

An MSQ-700 should do the trick. They go for cheap all the time.

bhrama

Post by bhrama » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 pm

JNeidlinger wrote:An MSQ-700 should do the trick. They go for cheap all the time.
I've seen several MSQ-100's, but no 700's. When you say cheap, I'm think no more than $100-150

JNeidlinger
Gear: MS-10, MS-2000, CZ-3000, JX-3P, JX-8P, ER-1, MSQ-700, Prophet-600, Poly-61, x0xb0x, OB-SX, Moog Slayer EX-800, Polivoks Filter, Yamaha GS-2, and on...

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:22 pm

Looks like there has been a drought of them... when they are available, they go for reasonable prices.

I have one, but the tempo potentiometer is broken (never needed it as I always run with an external midi clock anyways).

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 pm

The MSQ-700 won't work for your pusposes. You can only use the DCB or MIDI inputs separately on it, in other words using the DCB port disables the MIDI ports and vice a versa. Its only use is as a hardware sequencer.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:18 pm

I use a Kenton with my Juno-60. It's a solid, reliable box which has given me trouble-free use for about four years. The connection to the Juno is bi-directional, so you can use the Juno to record parts, including the arpeggiator. There's also a socket for the filter CV input on the Juno. It comes with an appropriate cable as the Kenton's end is a mini-DIN.

They're not difficult to get hold of, you just contact Kenton and buy one. Shipping and taxes may be the worst part of that if you're overseas.

JNeidlinger

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:48 pm

101 Force wrote:The MSQ-700 won't work for your pusposes. You can only use the DCB or MIDI inputs separately on it, in other words using the DCB port disables the MIDI ports and vice a versa. Its only use is as a hardware sequencer.
OP only stated he wanted to do MIDI sync, which I'm almost certain the MSQ-700 can do simultaneously (receive MIDI clock on its MIDI port, transmit DIN-Sync).

"The unit can be controlled by its own or external midi clock and send din sync signals at the same time or vice versa. So the MSQ700 will function as a midi clock to din sync converter and this is one of its primary use today. "

Source: http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~jeffrey/MSQ.htm

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:18 pm

JNeidlinger wrote:
101 Force wrote:The MSQ-700 won't work for your pusposes. You can only use the DCB or MIDI inputs separately on it, in other words using the DCB port disables the MIDI ports and vice a versa. Its only use is as a hardware sequencer.
OP only stated he wanted to do MIDI sync, which I'm almost certain the MSQ-700 can do simultaneously (receive MIDI clock on its MIDI port, transmit DIN-Sync).

"The unit can be controlled by its own or external midi clock and send din sync signals at the same time or vice versa. So the MSQ700 will function as a midi clock to din sync converter and this is one of its primary use today. "

except the juno does not have a din sync in. that's on the jupiter 8 and only on the 8 as far as roland synths with arp's go.

JNeidlinger

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:40 pm

matia wrote:
JNeidlinger wrote:

except the juno does not have a din sync in. that's on the jupiter 8 and only on the 8 as far as roland synths with arp's go.
Pretty sure it can go both ways... IE take the DIN-Sync signal from the Juno-60 DIN-Sync out, as its external clock.

In other words, it does MIDI-to-DIN SYNC and DIN SYNC-to-MIDI.

SOS talks about doing just this here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_ar ... sq700.html

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm

JNeidlinger wrote:
matia wrote:the juno does not have a din sync in.
Pretty sure it can go both ways... IE take the DIN-Sync signal from the Juno-60 DIN-Sync out, as its external clock.

In other words, it does MIDI-to-DIN SYNC and DIN SYNC-to-MIDI.
Except the Juno 60 does not have DIN Sync. It has DCB, which is completely different, and it has an arp clock input which again is different.

Page 8 of the MSQ user manual shows it has a switch that selects either MIDI or DCB, which suggests to me it does not act as a real-time converter.

JNeidlinger

Post by JNeidlinger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:12 pm

Gahh I'm sorry. For some reason I thought it did. I'll eat my words.

You are correct, it does not do DCB <-> MIDI. Thought it can transmit either while syncing to DIN-Sync.

Sorry for throwing in confusion...

hasty

Post by hasty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Were the OP not planning to sync the Juno's arp I would suggest the engineers@work solution.

http://www.engineersatwork.nl/catalog/p ... 49745b93b6

They also have an ebay store where the prices are a little cheaper, and they ship to international addresses.

It's internal, so you physically remove the DCB port and place a new Midi in/out port in place. It's a pretty easy soldering job.

However this is ONLY suitable for very basic midi note on/note off work. I use it with an MPC 2500 and it works for that purpose. Arp/bender/velocity etc are not controllable via the midi port with this mod for either sending or receiving.

However - others looking for a simple midi note on/off mod will probably find this the least expensive way unless you can find a great deal on the used market for a Kenton, MD-8 or similar unit.

As to the OP's hope to sync midi using an mpc, this video explains how to do it using one of the assignable outputs, playing a short loud sound. I'm going to try it tonight.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2008/10 ... ivepa.html
Last edited by hasty on Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.