What is the value of a Korg PolySix - like New Condition

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cipher

What is the value of a Korg PolySix - like New Condition

Post by cipher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi...

I'm hoping someone here can help me out.
I have a KorgPolySix - that may have been played a few times (home only) - and in storage since the 80's....
Not a scratch on it.....Looks like the day it was unboxed.

It's been checked - OK - no battery acid damage or leakage. Battery is still original ?

I plugged-in and it still plays.

What do you think it's worth ?
I need to sell this item.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: What is the value of a Korg PolySix - like New Condition

Post by rhino » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm

Welcome to our mad, money-grubbing vintage synth madness ! (lol)

If the battery IS original, HAVE IT CHANGED NOW !!!!!!!

MY rough guess is $500-700 if - as you say - it's mint.

EDIT: PrePal says $318 for average selling price on ebay... Remember that includes ALL sold - broken, trashed, etc.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 pm

rhino wrote:MY rough guess is $500-700 if - as you say - it's mint.
Seems a bit low. You should be able to sell a mint Polysix with new battery for $700-800.

cipher

Post by cipher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:05 pm

Not money grubbing - just confused by the very large range of prices I'm seeing online ;)
Your feedback is very helpful.
Thank you both - very much.

The link to prepal in particular.

I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
F

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:16 pm

If I'm not mistaken... if the battery is good but hasn't been used in a while the best thing to do is to USE IT... keep some power going through it every coupla days... This should make sure the cell has some current going through it.

And just be honest about the battery maybe being original but that there are no traces of damage.

I would list it for $1K or best offer/BIN... it'll sell if it's truly minty... if you sell it locally on CraigsList expect to get a little less interest and maybe a little less $$$... Might wanna move this to the For Sale Section of that's kosher.

Just make sure if you ship it that you pack it properly to avoid the headache of having to make a claim. UPS and the rest are notorious for breaking keyboards... and especially since these Korg's are heavy with chassis' made of particle board they do not fair well to any impact.

This is a good video explaining the deal with packing:

cipher

Post by cipher » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Thanks themilford....

Appreciate the info.
Cheers
F

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 am

hi Cipher,

I'm going to guess you are the guy who posted on Kijiji in Toronto?!
I contacted you earlier hoping that you were one of those guys that didn't know what you had and would let it go for $50... it happens!
I think the $700 you are asking is more than fair (even a little low) and you should be able to find a buyer soon. I'd recommend that you post on craigslist as well - I find more synth buyers and sellers in Toronto tend to use that as opposed to kijiji.

good luck!

Also, never go by pre-pal - it is hopelessly out of date, unreliable and useless.

101 Force

Post by 101 Force » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:59 am

Maybe this hasn't been made clear enough in this post: if your PolySix has the original battery and you don't replace ASAP it start leaking battery acid all over its inside, reducing its value to about $50.
Gear for sale here (Updated: 06/27/2011).

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:06 am

For years Prepal was very dated...has it come back to life?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:09 pm

101 Force wrote:Maybe this hasn't been made clear enough in this post: if your PolySix has the original battery and you don't replace ASAP it start leaking battery acid all over its inside, reducing its value to about $50.
Seconded, better be safe than sorry with this one.

I know a guy that has two with the battery problem and is willing to sell, but when it comes to price he has no idea - wants at least $400 each and just won't budge :?

They're still just sitting in his garage roof that I know of, I haven't since bothered to go back... :cry:

cipher

Post by cipher » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks Guys...

Gord - Yes - I posted in TO-Kijiji - to see response if any...
Thanks very much for the thoughts guys...

I left the Poly6 with a keyboard/electronics technician over the weekend to have the original battery removed/replaced. Everything around the battery terminals/board/connectors looked clean so I don't think it leaked at all.... but I won't have to worry about that again - once it's replaced....early this week.

I figure many of the capacitors are probably passed their lifespan as well ? I didn't see any dome-top/mushrooming on any of the capacitors - but often - you can't tell from visual inspection.... I'll wait to hear what the tech. says...
I don't mind putting a little money into it -- just to get it back playing to spec. again -- though I'll likely not do anymore - like a MIDI upgrade.

I'll definitely sell this keyboard - hopefully to someone who makes good use of it.
No Rush...

I've not touched a piano/keyboard since my early high-school days - I'm a typical Royal-Conservatory student....
Did the 5years worth of piano - but never learned to play by ear or improvise...

Honestly, when I see how technology has progressed - I'm blown away....
Taking this Poly6 in for repair - I had a chance to play around with a Korg-M3 - and then watch as someone who really knew what they were doing - demo the keyboard..... incredible.

I have to say - I'm getting inspired to brush-up on playing again !
Always had a soft spot for funky, hammond B - organ type stuff....
Fun ;)

Cheers Guys
Frank