Cs6x or EX7?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
ManInTheFog

Cs6x or EX7?

Post by ManInTheFog » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 pm

For an experimental/noise/folk project, so I'd like plenty of strange/spacey pads...but also need piano for solo gigs. Only been playing for a little over a year (Microkorg and Xiosynth25), so I'm very much a beginner. I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha Cs6x and the EX7...both in my price range of <500 dollars.

Any input/recommendations would be much appreciated. Cheers and Happy Holidays!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Cs6x or EX7?

Post by balma » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:20 pm

EX7 is ten thousand light years beyond the CS6x. EX7 is rompler, sampler, VA and FDSP synth. CS6x is a rompler and its sound is very inferior in almost all the areas to the EX7.

BUT!!!!! the CS6x would be a lot more easier to manipulate than the EX7. EX series are well known for be infested of bugs (ask me....) and they are one of the most complicated digital workstations ever produced. No exageration, they are not a begginer's synth.

However, if you don't want to complicate too much, they are quite easy to use on solo modes. The selection of presets, is simple beautiful. It kicks the a*s of the motif on acoustic sounds.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks for the input, balma. The complexity of the EX7 has been one of my initial worries, but I plan on sticking with whatever I get for awhile. Acoustic sounds are indeed important for me too, as I'm more of a piano player than synth player...so perhaps the EX7 would be my best bet in that sense (having a durable board with solid acoustics and being able to properly learn the ins and outs of synthesis over time)

I've found one on eBay that's at 390.00 (Buy It Now 450.00 plus 75.00 shipping)...is this pretty standard for used EX7's these days?

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:19 am

I actually have a EX7 to sell if your interested. its mint, except the floppy drive isn't working, common w/ these units.

Most EX7's go for about $300-$400 online, sometimes even less. Amazing to me that they go that low for the amount of power they pack. Things to notice the EX5 is better then the EX7. the EX7 lacks the acoustic sound generator processor. besides that, the EX5 having extra keys (76). Everything else is almost identical. Never played with EX5, but I heard the acoustic sounds are crazy. The EX7 has cool ones, but since it lacks that processor they are more motif like. One of my favorite thing about these board is they have 3 mod wheels & the finger mod. Cool for messing w/ sounds. The cs6x is cool, but its more of a trance machine (yamaha intended it to be fully dance oriented) the EX7 will give you more wide range of sounds, with good pianos/ pads/ bass, etc... Mine has this "pop piano" patch that I play all the time.

If you interested in grabbing mine send me an PM, I'm saving up for a motif. if I wasn't I would keep it. In the meantime check out

http://www.ex5tech.com/

In the forums there they are wiz's when it comes to these 2 boards. Cool Group.

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:05 am

Thanks for the reply, GameChanger. I'm actually in the process of selling my XioSynth along with other odds and ends to save up for the EX7. (Poor college student, here) But I should have the funds by the early part of January...so if you still haven't sold your EX7 by then, then I will definitely send a PM your way.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Definitely check out the ex5 before the ex7 if you decide to go this route (some info on this great site: http://www.ex5tech.com/faq.html)... it offers a whole lot more for not that much more money. If you're patient, you should be able to snag one in your budget.

Also, check out the Alesis Fusion if you want an "all in one" type board. It is very similar to the ex5/7 - multiple synthesis types (great VA and FM, huge rompler/hard drive/sampler capabilities but absolutely terrible VL/physical modelling - the ex's kill it here) and buggy! (not too bad now though). And, super cheap!

The ex's can be quite frustrating because of the difficult interface and the machines just don't have the power to process what they promise (limited polyphony/multi-timbrality + sampling/loading is a joke).
But, they can sound fantastic if you put in some work!

ManInTheFog

Post by ManInTheFog » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks gordwiebe. After much research last night, I think I will save the extra cash for the EX5 if I decide to go that route. However, I have come across both a Korg Triton Extreme 61 keys and a Roland Fantom X7 for $600.00 each (Both in very good condition)...based on what these two are going for on eBay, I felt I should jump on one of these, but I really haven't done enough research on either to make a purchase yet.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:20 pm

poly on the EX7 is cutdown to 64 instead 127 on the EX5. This issue affects in a remarkable way the performance of the synth on multitimbre mode, excluding lots of possibilties once you selected a VA, FDSP or Insert effect patch on one of the tracks.
Also, the EX7 cannot sample on stereo. It can sample only mono.

The most interesting engine, the VL or virtual acoustic is missing also on the EX7.

Despite that, still being a great digital synth for patch solo mode. I got the EX7, used it during three months, and
then I paid a difference and got the EX5.

I still having the EX5 since it was released, I paid almost $3000 for it. I have 8 years owning it and for a low price you can't go wrong with it. Is the most extensive and headache synth I have owned, beyond the SY99 on complexity.

Is not easy to use Sir. The manual is not the best one for a synth that has five different types of synthesis.

This is a very heavy synth. Shipping won't be cheap
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:11 pm

ManInTheFog wrote:Thanks gordwiebe. After much research last night, I think I will save the extra cash for the EX5 if I decide to go that route. However, I have come across both a Korg Triton Extreme 61 keys and a Roland Fantom X7 for $600.00 each (Both in very good condition)...based on what these two are going for on eBay, I felt I should jump on one of these, but I really haven't done enough research on either to make a purchase yet.
Damn those are great prices. grab um both if possible, and sell the one you dont like on ebay. Id go w/ triton extreme. Ive never been a fan of the sounds on the newer rolands.