Got Shruthi?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
stuartm

Re: Got Shruthi?

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Projectile wrote:I have one on the way. It's too bad there were no honeycomb side panels offered this time, but I didn't want to wait. So excited!
I had the same problem and ordered the kit with the slit side panels. But: I got one with honeycomb! :D

Anyway, awesome and very cleverly done synth for small money - soldering was about 4 hours + another hour for testing and assembling (I'm not a DIY pro).

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 am

stuartm wrote:
Projectile wrote:I have one on the way. It's too bad there were no honeycomb side panels offered this time, but I didn't want to wait. So excited!
I had the same problem and ordered the kit with the slit side panels. But: I got one with honeycomb! :D
I really hope I'm that lucky!

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:15 pm

now, this is interesting, but like with the x0xb0xen, I would only buy a pre-built version, anyone doing that?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Every now and then Olivier sells some pre-assembled Shruti-1's via the Mutable Instruments' shop (the one where you can order the kit).
Quite recently, there was the "RGB collection", three units, each a different filter and a differently colored LCD.
300 EUR per unit if I'm not mistaken.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:18 pm

received my kit yesterday and the housing's every panel has scratches on the side without the peel off layer. anyone else have that issue?

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 am

there's also no opening in the panels for the freaking power switch. retarded.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:38 am

I'll be doing a run of metal enclosures ala my x0xb0x in the coming months. PM me if interested. Also have a bag of red army surplus 1% polystyrene caps for anyone with the SRM4 board..

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 am

thanks, if you already had them available i'd have taken you up on that, but i do dig the clear housing, just disappointed in its make. faceplate was a b***h to get in place and its openings for the screen and main knob are off center too. plus my kit had six extra washers & was short two bolts & nuts.

regardless, glad i picked this up. thing has some very neat sounds.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Altitude wrote:I'll be doing a run of metal enclosures ala my x0xb0x in the coming months. PM me if interested. Also have a bag of red army surplus 1% polystyrene caps for anyone with the SRM4 board..
Cool. Any chance you'll do the whole assembly too? :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

space6oy wrote:received my kit yesterday and the housing's every panel has scratches on the side without the peel off layer. anyone else have that issue?
Nope. Mine were perfect except for a small amount of scuffing around the cutouts. Contact Oliver and maybe he will send you a new enclose or give you a discount. That's not cool.
space6oy wrote:there's also no opening in the panels for the freaking power switch. retarded.
It clearly specifies on the website that the Shruthi-1 enclosure doesn't include holes for the power switch and input/output volume pots. These parts are strictly optional and only included for people who make their own enclosures. Although the stock enclosure can be modified to squeeze in the knobs and switch, it was decided that the layout was tight enough as it is, and there was no place to put them that didn't detract from the aesthetics of the case, so they were left out.

I don't miss having a power switch at all, but I do think I will eventually drill a spot for the output volume pot, as I use guitar pedals for effects, and often the signal is too hot unless I use a mixer.

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:01 pm

i emailed him thursday and have not heard back.

i hadn't caught that the website noted that, my bad. but i still think it's stupid. i drilled a 3/8" hole and used a small circular switch, luckily fit right above the DC input jack against the top circuit board.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm

space6oy: welcome to the Shruthi-1 club :geek:

Here's an audio demo of some patches I created during the first days of using this little beast.
Some of them will be included in the upcoming firmware update:

http://soundcloud.com/stuartm/mutable-i ... -shruthi-1

space6oy

Post by space6oy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:37 pm

stuartm wrote:space6oy: welcome to the Shruthi-1 club :geek:

Here's an audio demo of some patches I created during the first days of using this little beast.
Some of them will be included in the upcoming firmware update:

thanks man. right off the bat the shruthi's vocal sounds are pretty awesome...

admin recently added a soundcloud link so those can be right here in the forum. :thumbright:

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:52 pm

for ppl that already have theirs, I highly recommend you update to the 0.92 firmware..

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, the 0.92 firmware is still in beta-testing and not officially released yet.
However, you can download the source code and compile it for yourself, if you like.

Quite noteworthy: the firmware update is not for bugfixing, but mainly new features or improvements!