Getting ready to purchase new synths.... Advice?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Getting ready to purchase new synths.... Advice?

Post by DLovas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:54 am

Here are the synths I am contemplating (In order of preference) with their approximate Prices.

Alesis Andromeda A6 - $3500

Access Virus TI2 Polar - $3000

Clavia Nord Lead 2x Rack - $900

Novation SuperNova (1, II, KB - doesn't matter)
1 - $500

2 - $900

KB - Haven't Seen any listed. Guessing around $1200?

DSI Prophet '08 - $1800.00

(If the rack version is basically the same without a KB ill get that instead.
Rack - $1500

Waldorf Blofeld - $1200

Yamaha AN1x - Haven't Seen one listed. Guessing around $700?

I've got around $3,500.00 Maximum.

Which synths in the above list do you think would be best for me to go for.

I could get the Andromeda and thats it, Or i could get a combination of synths. I want to use up the $3,500 completely.

Also if anyone has suggestions for other synths or equipment they think is worth buying don't hesitate to vouch for them. However, really i would like one (or more) of the above synths mentioned.

Thanks for your replies. :)

-DLovas

Also the prices are not final. I've just listed what i remember seeing on ebay/samash.
If i am dead wrong about some estimations, don't be harsh about it :).

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Re: Getting ready to purchase new synths.... Advice?

Post by Mino » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 am

I wouldn't go for Andromeda if you're concerned about reliability. If you can find a pristine one and keep & maintain it at studio, go for it though.

I would go for Prophet '08 (if analog is needed) and Waldorf Q (not blofeld). If you want more wavetables, I would suggest Waldorf Microwave series. You can go for Digitals + Analog Filterbank route, too.

I'm not doing EDM though, so keep that in mind. My preference might not suit your needs.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:40 am

Yeah since you have a dope budget, the waldorf Q is a good idea - ALTHOUGH the wavetables thing is pretty dope with the blofeld -

I would say this:

If you buy a good VA - dont worry abotu getting the Q *AS WELL*, I'd get a blofeld in that case

Of course you could get the Q AS the VA.. but it is a pretty 'different' VA, to say the JP and the virus.

Mino
Gear: Waldorf Q & XT & Streichfett
Nord Lead 2x
Roland V-Synth /w VC-1

Post by Mino » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:40 am

He already has a JP 8000, so I thought a normal VA like nord, nova wouldn't enhance his sound spectrum compared to a Q.
I wouldn't get more synths for same category of sounds. But Q can use wavetable and VA with matrix and comb filters without losing polyphony (16 or 32 fixed). That's why I recommend it over Blofeld. And get microwave XT for added wavetables.

Though I don't know if you want smoother sounds or more edgy sounds. Blofeld has a more rounded/ sterile sound than Q for that matter.

If more than one brand is wanted for same synthesis type of sounds, getting the module versions (blofeld, virus snow, 2x rack , nova) can be done in a budget of 3500 I believe.

I would look to the synths in features and type of synthesis aspect (fm, wavetable, subtractive etc.) This way you could enhance your sonic palette.

I know that GAS is common along synthesists :) , but I wouldn't get more gear until I used all of the possible sounds on the synth and especially Q will surely hold me for years to come.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:32 am

I'd wait two weeks :D

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Yea. I'm definently gonna need more time to think this stuff over. Might I add that I am interested in trancy stuff like Orjan Nilsen or EnMass. Analog isnt a necessity for me but it is definently a perk.

Also the spectralis 2 or something was recommended to me. I'll get a price on it and a pic but I'm on my phone right now so in a bit.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Your best bet is the Polar and the Supernova. It's the best combination of all around sound from rompling to analog to pure digital for anything from dance and trance to orchestral and new age. Use them together or singly with the Polar as a MIDI controller for the Supernova. Then, when you get more scratch, expand to more esoteric equipment. Or for really cheap expansion go for soft synths, again with the Polar as your controller. The Korg User Net has the full Legacy Collection for $200 right now (M1, MS-20, PolySix, Mono/Poly, Wavestation, KDX-E (VSTi), and LegacyCell (a mixer/matcher between MS-20 and PolySix) which is a damn good deal. So, for $3700 you could have seven synths all with completely different voices and personalities, and I guarantee you won't run out of things to do.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:02 pm

gridsleep wrote:Your best bet is the Polar and the Supernova. It's the best combination of all around sound from rompling to analog to pure digital for anything from dance and trance to orchestral and new age. .
rompling?

neither is a ROMpler, both are VA synths.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:20 pm

My advice to you before buying anything is to take more time and find out more about each of these synths through online demos or playing ones you can actually find. The list is far too long to narrow it down to a specific, and I think that the advice from everyone here could actually muddy the waters for you. There are so many people who swear the Virus line....there are just as many people who dislike it. The same goes for just about all of those synths you listed. I think you may be suffering for a severe case of GAS, which I had about a year ago. In all reality, all of these a good synths and any would be a good choice. With that said, here is my 2 cents about which synths I would choose ;)
I personally love my Supernova II and Virus TI2. I think they compliment each other very well for I what I do, but it may not work for you. The Supernova II is my favorite VA of all time. I also love the TI2, but I usually use for very aggressive sounds and fx. In this regard they seem to compliment each other in my studio.
I've always loved the Andromeda, but it just seems risky to pay that much for used synth in my opinion.
I owned a Nord Lead 2 for 5 years, but it was more of dust collector than a useful synth....it is a good synth, but we just didn't click.
I like the Prophet '08 as well. I have never owned or played it however, so I hesitate to recommend it to you.

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm liking the idea of the supernova and the Virus - i think those will best suit me for the future. I think ill do some more research, especially on the Novas, since i can't really test them out.

Also i'll wait a couple of weeks to see if anything else pops up that i like. I'm still open to suggestions.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:26 pm

DLovas wrote:I'm liking the idea of the supernova and the Virus - i think those will best suit me for the future. I think ill do some more research, especially on the Novas, since i can't really test them out.

Also i'll wait a couple of weeks to see if anything else pops up that i like. I'm still open to suggestions.

The Supernova and Virus cover alot of similar sonic territory. I mean, a LOT of it. alot of bands in 'my genre' used to have supernovas and K-stations (etc) and are using viruses now, including to perform their old material.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:36 pm

How about a probuilt x0xb0x? Like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/x0xb0x-Roland-TB303 ... 230ce20703

or
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... x&start=30

The 2nd one is not currently available, but just to give an idea. The 1st is built by a pro synth designer.

Outboard effects are great for live tweaking and can really expand your sound. Consider putting some $$$ into effects.

A mixer will also be very useful if you are running multiple synths and multiple effects.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:14 am

Ashe37 wrote:
DLovas wrote:I'm liking the idea of the supernova and the Virus - i think those will best suit me for the future. I think ill do some more research, especially on the Novas, since i can't really test them out.

The Supernova and Virus cover alot of similar sonic territory. I mean, a LOT of it. alot of bands in 'my genre' used to have supernovas and K-stations (etc) and are using viruses now, including to perform their old material.
So do you believe that the Virus is basically just a newer, better SuperNova? Or that they are just very similar. Because the supernova is cheaper, (and older :O) but if it does the same more or less as the Virus, i dont want it to be sitting in the corner unused. For what i'm into, i think the Virus is something i should get sooner or later so If you're saying i shouldnt get both then possibly ill leave out the Nova.

Is that what you were implying?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:40 am

DLovas wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:

So do you believe that the Virus is basically just a newer, better SuperNova? Or that they are just very similar. Because the supernova is cheaper, (and older :O) but if it does the same more or less as the Virus, i dont want it to be sitting in the corner unused. For what i'm into, i think the Virus is something i should get sooner or later so If you're saying i shouldnt get both then possibly ill leave out the Nova.

Is that what you were implying?
They are both 3-oscillator subtractive synths. Compared to the Virus, the Supernova is somewhat dated, yes. I happen to like my Nova, but then i have a Blofeld as well... and yeah my roomate has a Virus Ti Desktop, so I have experience with that as well and an R3, and the RADIAS expansion in my M3 and...)

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:43 am

yea ur right. I think im going to go with the virus. the only question is - will NAMM reveal a new virus?