Synths for Minimal Acid.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Yodhan
Gear: DSI Mopho Keyboard, Korg Monotron, Microkorg, Arturia Experience Player, Reason 5
Band: Prototype Messiah

Re: Synths for Minimal Acid.

Post by Yodhan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:50 am

I am going to go on the record for a couple of the items mentioned here. As a previous owner of both the EA-1 and the ER-1, I will vouch for them with much gusto. I got them when I had no idea about what I was going to do, and therefore, got rid of them because I didn't understand their purpose in my music. Now, looking back, I really wish I had at least one of them back, if not both.

I also am going to vouch for the Microkorg. I have one now and it is one of the main synths that I use, even though I have a computer with Reason and a whole bunch of other softsynths in it. It is a little harder to program than something with a lot of knobs and sliders, but very intuitive, and the manual is pretty good at explaining what is going on under the 'hood'. I got mine for $175 w/o the mic. I am not sure if you can find that kind of deal, but if you are patient, you should be able to find one for $250-ish.

Good luck.

monoman

Post by monoman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:11 am

I got my DR-110 and I think that will be good enough for drum machines. I really like that sound, kind of like a cleaned up TR-606 thing.

So from my notes:

Micron:

Pros: Great sound, keyboard etc..

Cons: Complex interface. (compared to others)

EMX-1:

Pros: Good sound, easy too use.

Cons: Little more pricey, and no keyboard.

EA-1:

Pros: Good sounds, easy to use, cheaper than EMX-1.

Cons: No drums, no keyboard.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:17 am

The EMX will cover the DR-110 drum sounds but allow you more tweaking, and you won't have to worry that you can't sync it, like with the DR-110. Buy the EMX and you can sell the DR-110.

monoman

Post by monoman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The EMX will cover the DR-110 drum sounds but allow you more tweaking, and you won't have to worry that you can't sync it, like with the DR-110. Buy the EMX and you can sell the DR-110.
My only fear with the EMX-1 is every video on You Tube is demoing dub step. I loath dub step. (No offence to any dub producers). I don't want wobble bass.

Could I buy an EA-1 and a TR-626? Can keep my DR-110 please? I like it. :mrgreen:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 am

do whatever you want

we just gave you suggestions is all.
although i might add that your fear of being forced to produce dubstep (or any genre) based on what gear you buy is a bit of a stretch.
i've done dozens tracks on my EMX...and filled the memory card up 5 times over w/ many kinds of grooves; techno, house, acid, chill-out, berlin-school, krautrock, minimal, crunk, ghetto-freestyle, d&b, dub, glitch, electro, breaks...
Any 4totheFloor(and some odd time signature too) style/genre is fair game, chap. It can do it all. the only question is - can you?

it's a synth. it does what you program it to do :idea:
----------

OT - doesn't anyone find it rather odd that the VSE spellchecker always reds-up the word synth... :mrgreen:
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

monoman

Post by monoman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:09 am

I was just joking around about dubstep.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm on the look out and hopefully I'll be able to try a EMX.

Peace

monoman

Post by monoman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:28 am

I got a B-Stock Alesis Micron for $100. I wasn't planning on getting it but for that kind of deal I couldn't pass it up. TBH I was starting lean towards it anyway. I could always sell and get something different if I don't like it.

Now I have:

Korg Monotron (Analog Ribbon Synth)
Boss DR-110 (Analog Drum Machine)
Alesis Micron (VA Synth)

Cheers!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:12 am

awesome little setup!

If you are at all a builder sort of person I'd suggest you add the CV outs to the monotron, and build a small analog sequencer for it. Something like this:

http://www.dinsync.info/2010/06/how-to- ... otron.html
http://www.dinsync.info/2010/05/diy-8-s ... encer.html

With a little modding you might be able to get it to sync to the DR-110. now THAT'd be a setup! dr-110, sequenced monotron, micron overtop. mmm

just an idea ;)