Decent Modular Synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Powelly
Gear: Korg R3, Korg M1, Korg ESX1, Yamaha DX7

Decent Modular Synth

Post by Powelly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:11 am

So i wanted to get into the modular side of synths, but being a complete and utter noob i have no idea where to start.
I dont want to spend too much, $350-$400 AUD. $500 if i have to.
I've looked at the doepfer Dark Energy, its a bit out of my price range here in Australia unfortunatley.
Open to any suggestions!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Decent Modular Synth

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Modular synths are expensive, if price is an issue you shouldn't even think about them. The Dark Energy isn't modular, it's just got a few patch routings available. If you want to start a modular you can get a case for $350, but nothing to put in it. For $1000 you could start something, but you wouldn't get the real advantages of a modular without spending $2000+.

Equinoxoz do a few modular brands in Australia and have really good prices, the best in the world in a lot of cases. Have a look at their stuff if you're really serious about it. Also there's a lot of stuff going fairly cheap second-hand on the muffwiggler forum, but buying things in ones and twos mostly from the US will have shipping costs adding up pretty quickly.

Most of my stuff I've bought from analoguehaven.com in the US and schneidersladen in germany. When the aussie dollar's good (like it has been lately) their prices are great.

If you want to get a couple of semi-modulars and patch them together that could be a good way to go, the Dark Energy is about the cheapest apart from DIY options from MFOS and Paia, a couple of Dark Energys could start making some pretty cool sounds without taking up much room or money. The new SEM with the patchpanel would be a good choice too.

Powelly

Post by Powelly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Well, this shows how much of a noob i actually am.
I may have to have a good look into this.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm

The cheapest modular today is the pAiA 9700 which is a kit and just under $600 US.

Synthesizers.com has an Entry Level System which is $1440 US but you pay $120 a month and they ship you one item a month for a year.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Powelly

Post by Powelly » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Maybe i should just stick with the quiet security of my digital synths.
Modulars look scary, and expensive

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

Nord Micro Modular

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm

they can definitely be a terrifyingly expensive addiction. but... it's an awesome scenario. if you do decide you want to give it a try / give in to your curiosity, i'd recommend spending a bit more and starting off with a kraftzwerg. if i ever wind up having to unload my euro rig, i'll be picking one of those up again to hold me over until i can get back into it. if they aren't easily available in australia, just drop MFB an email, i've bought a couple modules direct.

Powelly

Post by Powelly » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:35 am

Alright, i'll do some saving up and some research