Mono analog synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Powelly
Gear: Korg R3, Korg M1, Korg ESX1, Yamaha DX7

Mono analog synth?

Post by Powelly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:02 am

So I've decided that the next thing i need in my setup is a decent mono analog synth ( if you belive i need something else, tell me, i want to hear)
I'd be wanting to spend around 500-700 AUD, new or used, I dont care.
I've heard such names as the Mopho and Evolver, but im not sure if thats right.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: Mono analog synth?

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:26 am

Both of those are great and have features that go beyond what you would find on a vintage mono.
But there's a discussion about this topic here:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 19&t=60620

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:14 am

The MoPho is an excellent choice, more features and sounds than a Moog Little Phatty, for half the price. Loves me some MoPho.
Bassist, synth junkie

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 am

Novation Bass Station. Or if money is not an object, Evolver.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 am

I'd check out the Doepfer Dark Energy if I were you. It doesn't have the features that those others do, but the interface and sound are great. Using it will be a completely different experience from the synths you've already got.

I also think the Evolver is great, I bought a desktop evo just after they came out and have a keyboard one now, as well as a Tetra. But in your situation I think the Dark Energy is the way to go.

Tsarik
Gear: Future Retro XS, Eventide Eclipse, Novation X-Station, Waldorf Microwave XT

Post by Tsarik » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:27 pm

for your price range

Vermona Mono Lancet all the way, make sure its the synth one, not the drum one.. they look similar, there is also the wonderful sounding spectral audio neptune 2

but... there are 2... 2 technosaurus microns on ebay right now... such a lovely synth... i wonder how high the bidding will go

if you want to go above the 700 price range, i'd suggest SEM @ 900, and

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:39 pm

I'm going with Stab Frenzy on this one. Dark Energy all the way really. Or if you want to go vintage the Yamaha CS line particularly the CS-5, 10 or 15 should do the trick. The Mopho is alright but I don't agree that it has anything really over the Moog LP. I've had both the Mopho and LP and I kept my LP. The Mopho seems more tweakable at first but the LP has lots and lots more going for it. Plus the ability to expand on a Little Phatty with Moogerfooger pedals and a CP-251 turns the LP into a modular synth of sorts. Agreed on the price difference though, the Mopho, even the keys version is less than an LP. Having said all that my vote would go for either the Dark Energy, one of the CS models I mentioned or the Little Phatty (or the rack Slim Phatty if you like!).
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 pm

You might get lucky and find a Pro~One for that price! :D The Evolver is also not a bad board, it sounds excellent, but there are things that bug me. Most of my issues with it are just personal though because I wish it were more like my Olivia! :P

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I recently had a novation bass station and felt the filters sounded flat. They're interesting, but not worth the $. The evolver is a great piece. It has a wide palette of sounds and the sequencing is intuitive too.

I recently got a studio electronics atc - and if you're looking for a mono beast - that thing sounds fantastic.