Steve needs a modular synth?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Re: Steve needs a modular synth?

Post by dzlvs8 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:24 am

everybody is! wtf! Let me talk to your grandpa, he probably isn't on that euro stuff

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 am

if you don't find anyone on here using frac, join the AH muffwiggler forum.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 am

dzlvs8 wrote:Whats with the doepfer stuff. Is it just simpler because of the ribbon cable connectors or something. Ive been checkin out all the other sites that have modular stuff and DIY modulars and I really like the classic black faceplate stuff better. ....a whole lot better.

So why are the doepfers the most popular ones. I like the basic yusynth style stuff and the PAiA stuff. I havent looked through them all yet though. But I dont dig the plain aluminum panels. Why doepfer
i'd say Doepfer is why the euro format became so popular- their large & inexpensive line of modules caught on and over time it became apparent if you're a module designer and want to move a lot of units and get your stuff to the most people, euro is the place. these days the offerings in the euro format are dazzling.

the big classic black faceplate stuff sounds like you're referring to the 5U/Dotcom/Moog format not frac. check out synthesizers.com, stgsoundlabs, etc. buy used & save some bucks, the used market is active.

soundwave106

Post by soundwave106 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm

dzlvs8 wrote:Doepfers, smaller. That sounds like a bad thing. I want a big a*s modular.

"Big a*s modular" would mean the 5U format then.

You could get a Synthesizers.com modular for instance:

Case

Ring mod functions:
Q116 Ring Modulator
Q106 Oscillator (you need something to modulate against)

S&H:
Q117 Sample and Hold
Q110 Noise Module (for the classic "randomish" pattern, you will need an LFO for stepped or other types of patterns)

Sequencer:
Q960 Sequential Controller + Q961 Sequential Interface (Q962 Sequential Switch + Q963 Trigger Bus optional)

You will probably want a quantizer unless you enjoy hand-tuning the notes. That would be Q171. One bonus is that the quantizer can act like a Sample and Hold so if you get this you probably don't need Q117.

Last but not least, 1/4" cables (for this format) are nice. Mixers, attenuators, and mults are nice to have as well.

Most modular places will also sell the rails and power supplies separately for those who have experience building cases. There are also DIY modules if you are handy with electronics and soldering. The above terms translate into Frac and Eurorack systems as well.

Doepfer is popular because their modules are inexpensive and perform very well with a lot of basic tasks. They are also small and portable which actually is an issue for some (like me :) ). There is also a *lot* of Doepfer modules, some performing more esoteric tasks, and I think that caught on with the more esoteric module makers.

5U is also fairly popular now. It definitely has more of the "classic Moog modular" look. (Eurorack seems to attract more of the Serge / Buchula features, if we had to make a "vintage" analogy.)

Frac seems to be a distant third.

Modular synths are freakin unnecessarily expensive by default.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:26 pm

If I were in your shoes looking to get a modular synthesizer but only had $600 and a Minimoog, I would sell the Moog and buy a Synthesizers.com modular system that includes a Transistor Ladder Filter module. The Synthesizers.com ladder filter is modeled after the classic Moog filter. As with any decent modular synth, a Synthesizers.com system is much more flexible than a Minimoog. Frankly, if I had a choice, I would much rather have the dot com system over the Minimoog. Why sound like everyone else who uses a Minimoog when you can sound more unique with a more flexible modular synth. You can start out with a modest entry level system and slowly expand it into a modular monster as your budget permits. For less than $1500 you can get a two oscillator entry level system; for a few hundred more, you can add a third oscillator (or more) and a ladder filter.

http://www.synthesizers.com/systems.html

http://www.synthesizers.com/q150.html

dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

Post by dzlvs8 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:32 am

AnalogKid wrote:If I were in your shoes looking to get a modular synthesizer but only had $600 and a Minimoog, I would sell the Moog and buy a Synthesizers.com modular system that includes a Transistor Ladder Filter module.
That sounds like a very logical suggestion, but I will NOT get rid of my precious.

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:17 pm

Two words. Synthesizers.com

They make Classic Moog style modulars and you can have them build your modular just the way you want it.

http://synthesizers.com/index.html
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:17 pm

TheKeytarist wrote:Two words. Synthesizers.com
synthesizers + dot + com = 3 words. :thumbright:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

dzlvs8 wrote:I am looking to start creating a small modular synthesizer
dzlvs8 wrote: I would like to have a big modular synth someday. I also think this may be cheaper than buying two moogerfooger pedals.
dzlvs8 wrote:Doepfers, smaller. That sounds like a bad thing. I want a big a*s modular. Any suggestions on a good fracrack style modular to go with?
dzlvs8 wrote:So, my main question is, can I just plug the minimoog into a modular synth and still utilize all the features of my minimoog and can I get acheive a random filter sample and hold using the minimoogs filter and a generic sample and hold synth module. I wouldn't think so but??????
these statements are fraught with contradiction and some odd assumptions. the biggest favor you can do yourself at this time is to head over to Muff Wiggler and read up.
dzlvs8 wrote:Next question: Can I plug a fender rhodes into the ring modulator synth module and get good results or do i need to have a control voltage from an oscilator or something going into the ring modulator.
Google: "ring modulator". you will notice a ring-mod requires two input signals, in order to work at all.
so no, you cannot just plug a Rhodes into a ringmod and expect cool sounds to come jumping out.
To me the CP-251 is a cheezy patch bay with sweet sample and hold and a few other features that I have absolutely no use for.
it's not a patchbay at all.
those are 5-6 fundamental synth modules in one unit - modules taken for granted in the 'fixed-path' synth world, but very very useful in modular processes. since you don't know this, you would benefit from researching the CP-251 BEFORE jumping to such an inaccurate assumption.
most people that get into modulars don't even know what a VCA actually does; many with decades of experience using hard-wired synths.
so don't feel bad for being a little confused at first. Again, the biggest favor you can do yourself at this time is to head over to Muff Wiggler and read up (or don't, and you can remain confused).

also, nobody mentioned the new Tip-Top HAPPY ENDING Kit, which at $150 for rack&PSU is easily the cheapest ticket into modular today:
you could fill it up with waaaaaay more functionality than Moogerfoogers can offer, and probably for well under $700 if you're buying some modules 2nd-hand on Muffs.
It is Eurorack format, but then you mentioned Frac - personally I don't see any advantage w/ frac at all anymore beyond being able to have a Blacet Miniwave.
dzlvs8 wrote:Doepfers, smaller. That sounds like a bad thing. I want a big a*s modular. Any suggestions on a good fracrack style modular to go with?
Frac is 1/8" & 3U like Doepfer/Euro, anyways.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies