System 101 for modular gateway doooooom

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Arddhu

System 101 for modular gateway doooooom

Post by Arddhu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:40 pm

Question #10652:

I'm pondering the modular path and wondering about using the Roland System 101 as a basis for a small euro system.

I like the idea of having the vintage sound and feel of the 101 but having the extra functionality of an extra oscillator (or 4 or 5), envelope, midi-cv, step sequencer etc. It seems like developing a small modular system over time could be more practical than pursuing the whole System 100 setup.

So with the 101 being semi-modular, is there any limitations it might have that would stop this from being possible? I get the feeling it would be ok but I can't find any hi-res shots of just the 101 to get a thorough idea of what its patchability is like.

Cheers,

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: System 101 for modular gateway doooooom

Post by Z » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I just did an image seach on Yahoo and it led me to a 1400x1050 pixel image on GearSlutz where you can clearly see about a dozen patch points. I'm no modular guru, but that hardly seems like much "patch-ability", but maybe anough to get you started.

I also went to RolandUS.com to download the manual, but the 101 keyboard's manual is not available. However, 102, 103 & 104's manuals are.

The System 100 is one of the few Roland synths I've yet to own and I wouldn't mind picking one up at the right price for its sound.

Although it doesn't have a keyboard, I always recommend the new patch panel SEM from Tom Oberheim. I've been fighting off the GASy modular bug for quite some time and my few patchable, semi-modular synths keep me satisfied.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:18 pm

I've got the manual for the 101 but it's written in a way that seems to focus more on showing you how to recreate trumpets than basic "this input does x, this plug controls y".

Thanks, my 2am blind search didn't reveal much as I was searching System 100 not System 101!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:17 am

Hey Ardhu! :D

How's it going? Still sticking it out in Tas?

As you know I have the Model 101, all in all it is a great synth that has some mighty deep bass potential for a 1 OSC mono. And I'd definitely recommend it, let me just say that when people say discrete analogs sound great, they're not wrong. I'll also ad that the minimoog is also discrete so you know what you're in for bass-wise with the 101 ;)

Here's a few things I've experienced that may be of interest to you;

- Though it might look it, It doesn't actually have a lot of patch points as say an MS-20 does, and IMO using the 101 on its own, some of the points it does have are of limited musical usefulness compared to just not using the patch points at all. Though with external modular gear this may be much better, can't say.

- It has a very high Gate voltage (15v from memory), usually most synths like a 5v Gate signal, so you'd need to attenuate the signal with a DIY attenuator or such to get it to play nice to control other gear.

- Roland are generally known to have a great build quality from this era, though there is one niggle with the model 101 that not many owners would be proud to admit. That is, the keyboard is pretty bad in that it double triggers like a bia$%. You know like press a key get a sound, lift the key, get the sound again - damn annoying :cry:

Of course it has many plus points which outweigh these few niggles, but I just wanted to let you know of the issues it does have first.

Also, if you're ever in Launceston, you're welcome to come round and try it for yourself (though it could definitely do with a service) :)

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Right!
Well I think that rules out the 101 for now. I was hoping to use the keyboard as a controller for the modular but if it's prone to double triggering and needs attenuating I might hold off. I've always been more keen on SH-2's so maybe that would be a better idea and keep the modular a separate entity.
Hybrid88 wrote: Also, if you're ever in Launceston, you're welcome to come round and try it for yourself (though it could definitely do with a service) :)
I'm heading up Launnie way on the 4th, I'd love to take you up on that offer. I'll PM you closer to the date?

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Z wrote: Although it doesn't have a keyboard, I always recommend the new patch panel SEM from Tom Oberheim. I've been fighting off the GASy modular bug for quite some time and my few patchable, semi-modular synths keep me satisfied.
Sorry I missed that recommendation. That's actually one of the two I was pondering over. I think for patchability and reliability, it seems like a much better idea for modular starting-outiness

Cheers,

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Arddhu wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote: Also, if you're ever in Launceston, you're welcome to come round and try it for yourself (though it could definitely do with a service) :)
I'm heading up Launnie way on the 4th, I'd love to take you up on that offer. I'll PM you closer to the date?
Sure, sounds like a plan :)