Noise, Drone.

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Noise, Drone.

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Well, there's so many things that are implied when you say noise and drone...you talking Emil Beaulieau wall o static noise or something more ambient like Infinite Body? Something a bit more rhythm oriented like Black Dice?
Evolver owns all of those.

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 pm

I have owned/own the AX-60 and Evolver and have played with the Juno.

Both the Juno and AX-60 can be used for drones but like another poster has said, their programming options are limited compared to the other synths on your list. They each have a "one slider/one parameter" work surface so either are great for live tweaking.

It's a limited opinion since I didn't have all that much time with the Juno but I'd say the AX-60 had a dirtier/greasier tone compared to the Roland. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there you have it.

The Evolver is a top-notched synth for drones. For a start, it allows you to open up the VCA so you really do have drones. The sequencer and other modulators allow you to create long, evolving sounds that can change is drastic and random ways. With the desktop you have a bit of more of a learning curve as far as live editing but once you understand the matrix it can be a capable live tool.

fatherferal
Gear: nordlead2 virus classic microq
mopho volca bass
kstation emu planetearth
kp3 sp404
se1 prodigy synare
Band: feralhymn,mickle blvd, viktim

Post by fatherferal » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:06 pm

check out the korg prophecy. it is amazing at evolving drones.

verkannt

Post by verkannt » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:Well, there's so many things that are implied when you say noise and drone...you talking Emil Beaulieau wall o static noise or something more ambient like Infinite Body? Something a bit more rhythm oriented like Black Dice? Anyways, here's my two cents:

On the cheaper side, I'd say look at the budget micro synths like Microkorg (and MS-2000), Alesis Micron (and Ion), and the Akai Miniak...as much as I hate to say it, those boards can really hold their own when it comes to noise. Yamaha AN1x is something I've used on MANY noise records and is pretty much my baby...I wouldn't give that thing up for the world. Roland JX-8P is quite a nasty board if you push it right thanks to the Xmod. On the more expensive side, I'd say the Korg Wavestation (or SCI Prophet VS) is always good to have in your rig. The Minimoog, Multimoog, or even Micromoog can deliver some powerful analog drone and texture. And though it's expensive and rare, the Hartmann Neuron is a one note dream machine.
Sorry, I should be more specific. I'm really interested in the more ambient side of noise. I was actually looking at an AN1X on ebay. Have you got any examples of your patches on the AN1x. I was also looking at a JX-3P. I want something to compliment my newly purchased Blofeld.

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:09 am

you need the evolver! first as a sound engine its darn near a self contained modular if that makes any sense. also it can process sound like your blofeld! or kraftwerg! i owned one and only sold it after a decision to abandon midi. i still miss it. its way to versitile, especially in a compact set-up not to own. the second hand market makes it super affordable for the value. Also you should consider a looper, looping delay, or small sampler to go with it. kp3 maybe? a blofeld/ evolver/ kp3 combo with all your DAW's is killer.

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I know you said you have narrowed it down to the synths mentioned in the OP, but it's breaking my heard to have this thread about noise/drone sounds and no mention of the nord modular series, especially a micromodular in this case. Seriously, I can't imagine doing noise/drone work without nord modular stuff. The interface encourages experimentation in a way that I don't think you can get from anything else, even a hardware modular. One man's opinion.