need a sequencer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
elsquirrel

need a sequencer

Post by elsquirrel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 am

Any recommendations for a midi sequencer under $400? I'm looking for something to fill the gap left by an mpc2000xl, namely step sequencing and apreggio's, and anything else. Technically you can step sequence on the 2000xl but it doesn't have 16 dedicated buttons and can be long winded depending on what you're doing.

I've heard the RM1X is quite competent as a sequencer alone. Or even the rs7000, though this my be out of my price range. I see the QY series around often but I don't think they have an appregiator?

Any advice welcome!

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: need a sequencer

Post by space6oy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 am

can get any of the electribes for under $400.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 am

It would have to be the emx models though, right? Can't say I've really dug into the manuals, but from what I can gather the other models have fairly basic step sequencers - i.e. no aprregiator or other functions.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:27 am

Not sure about arpeggiators, but I just scored a möbius for $450, and the thing is shockingly fun/easy.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:37 pm

E-mu Command stations fit the bill. XL-7, MP-7, or PX-7
Very capable for sequencing external gear for under $300. You don't have to use the internal ROM based synth engine if you don't want to.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:06 pm

All the suggestions so far are good. Depends on your needs...
How many MIDI channels do you want to sequence?
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 am

How many MIDI channels do you want to sequence?
At least 2-3 ideally. Not a deal break though.
E-mu Command stations fit the bill. XL-7, MP-7, or PX-7
Looks interesting. I don't t think I've ever seen any of the command stations for sale in my area.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:41 am

Sir Nose wrote:E-mu Command stations fit the bill. XL-7, MP-7, or PX-7
Very capable for sequencing external gear for under $300. You don't have to use the internal ROM based synth engine if you don't want to.
+1.

The yamaha RM1x and RS7000 are worth mentioning as well..

yamaha22

Post by yamaha22 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:43 am

Altitude wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:E-mu Command stations fit the bill. XL-7, MP-7, or PX-7
+1.

The yamaha RM1x and RS7000 are worth mentioning as well..

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:20 am

elsquirrel wrote:Any recommendations for a midi sequencer under $400? I'm looking for something to fill the gap left by an mpc2000xl, namely step sequencing and apreggio's, and anything else. Technically you can step sequence on the 2000xl but it doesn't have 16 dedicated buttons and can be long winded depending on what you're doing.

I've heard the RM1X is quite competent as a sequencer alone. Or even the rs7000, though this my be out of my price range. I see the QY series around often but I don't think they have an appregiator?

Any advice welcome!

I can say the rm1x is a very compentent sequencer. One fatal design FLAW though is the apreggitor is NOT tied to MIDI on the rm1x. Meaning you have no control over the arp at all with anything but the keys of the rm1x.Though you can record your arp lines and then sequence them. You cant control the rm1x's arp with another board or any other midi gear.BUT the rm1x is one smart box. I write complex arps lines with my Virus B and midi out to the rm1x's in and I record it into the rm1x. It can pick up all the data I used to write on my Virus and play the same complex arp with the rm1x's sounds once it is recorded in the rm1x. Very cool how it picks up complex data from other gear.So besides the no external control of the arp it still can record great ones.
Last edited by computron on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 am

Though you can record your arp lines and then sequence them
Do you mean record the arp lines generated by an external synth or the rm1x? So can you still program and arp line on the rm1x and then have it play on an external synth, or will it only play the internal rm1x sounds. Not being able to play arp lines from another synth isn't too much of a concern.

computron

Post by computron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

elsquirrel wrote:
Though you can record your arp lines and then sequence them
Do you mean record the arp lines generated by an external synth or the rm1x? So can you still program and arp line on the rm1x and then have it play on an external synth, or will it only play the internal rm1x sounds. Not being able to play arp lines from another synth isn't too much of a concern.

Both can be recorded and laid out in the sequencer.In fact the rm1x excells at recording other arp lines from other gear that its arp would not be able to do .This amazed me when I was recording my virus arp lines into it and the rm1x copied the arp sequence into its own internal sounds.
It can not play its internal arp on anything but itself.There is no playing its arp to trigger on other gears arps or playing its arp with any kind of controler.Its internal arp is just not tied to MIDI unless you record its internal arp into its sequencer.

Its a great sequencer and gets along well with my mpc's .I have both the rm1x and the rs7000.Be warned like anything there is a large learning curve with both the rm1x and rs7000 though once you know one you know both.I highly recommend them both after a MPC when it comes to hardware sequencers.
Living the Electro Life

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 am

.Its internal arp is just not tied to MIDI unless you record its internal arp into it
So the arp function and midi are separate within the rm1x, but are you saying you can record/convert an arp passage into midi within the rm1x and then sequence other gear that way? Or am I interpreting this wrong, as you did say it was not possibly to sequence external gear.

Sorry to keep asking basic questions. Talking to someone who has actually used the thing is so much more informative than trying to interpret a manual. :)

computron

Post by computron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 am

elsquirrel wrote:
.So the arp function and midi are separate within the rm1x, but are you saying you can record/convert an arp passage into midi within the rm1x and then sequence other gear that way? )

Thats 100% correct. Once its in the rm1x it can go anywhere else. Its a pleasure to answer your questions on the arp on this great box if your looking to get one .
Living the Electro Life

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Just be sure to watch out for dodgy buttons on the RM1x.
I think you can get replacements easily enough on ebay if you're competent enough to replace them. Really killed the immediacy for me having to jam down on a button to activate a step.