need a sequencer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
elsquirrel

Re: need a sequencer

Post by elsquirrel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:10 am

Arddhu wrote:Just be sure to watch out for dodgy buttons on the RM1x.
Yeah, I was offered one with a dodgy button a while ago. I passed because I had no idea how difficult it was to repair.

I've been looking at the emu command stations as they seem to fill my sequencing requirements a little better than the rm1x on paper. They look pretty ugly though, (side handles?) and the layout seems really odd..12 large chromatic pads then a tiny screen and tiny step sequencing buttons??

I'm still leaning towards the rm1x, but the lack of real arp sequencing is a drawback, considering that was one of my primary requirements of a sequencer.

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:29 am

I've had both and know what you mean. If it's any consolation, the silly grab-handles unscrew easily. But you're still stuck with a garish yellow or purple (silver if you're lucky) box if aesthetics are important to you.

I found the RM1x much easier to figure out but the E-mu still isn't that hard to do basic sequencing on plus it has a super arpeggiator. Though that tiny screen can be a pain.

Pro's and cons, eh!

yamaha22

Post by yamaha22 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 am

Arddhu wrote:I've had both and know what you mean. If it's any consolation, the silly grab-handles unscrew easily. But you're still stuck with a garish yellow or purple (silver if you're lucky) box if aesthetics are important to you.

I found the RM1x much easier to figure out but the E-mu still isn't that hard to do basic sequencing on plus it has a super arpeggiator. Though that tiny screen can be a pain.

Pro's and cons, eh!
i've had both, and while the emus have better sound the rm1x was easier for me to understand. i never fully learnt the emu and sold it.

elsquirrel

Post by elsquirrel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 am

Are the sound roms between the mp-7, xl-7 and px-7 drastically different? The mp-7 seems to be the most readily available/cheapest, followed by the xl-7 and px-7. I'm buying primarily for its sequencing capabilities, and would probably lean towards a more electronic sound.
The XL-7 ships with the X-Lead Sound ROM, the MP-7 ships with the Pure Phatt Sound ROM, and the PX-7 ships with the Protean Drum ROM containing brand new studio drum samples.
The xl-7 sounds like it would be better, but if there really isn't much difference I think I could get an mp-7 a little easier.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 am

Ordered an MFB Step 64 direct last wk, should be here soon... Maybe not exactly what yr looking for, but it's cheap (about $320 US).

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:07 am

the emu command stations are pretty good little sequencers in my opinion. Very easy to learn and intuitive to use (until you get into micro editing etc... on the tiny screen). It plays well with other modules and lends itself to a lot of live/real time tweaking/playing.

I'd say steer clear of the mp7/phatt ones though - they sound like garbage (with a sock muffling it). The xl7 soundset is a lot better and you can get some good sounds out of it with the synthesis engine.

The px7 protean drums and vintage pro roms are the ones everybody goes nuts for - I'm sure they do sound good, but probably not that good for the price they go for.

And, watch out for the dodgy data dials on the emus - they are notoriously bad.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 am

Command station is a heavy-weight sequencer hidden by the tiny LCD screen..

I thought the MP-7's rom was fine.. Bunch of waveforms and also had a bit more selection of percussion than the XL (which was important to me.. I only use basic oscillators mostly, but having a limited number of percussion sounds bothered me)
It is a good idea with all of the roms to delete the preset sounds and program your own - even things like the classical music rom, the presets are pretty terrible..

Wish I'd never sold my PX-7 though.. that was a bummer.