Generalmusic Equinox 61...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Em Pe Ge
Gear: Akai MPC1000, Moog Slim Phatty, Roland Alpha Juno 1, Animoog (via iRig midi), Ableton Live, Reason.

Generalmusic Equinox 61...

Post by Em Pe Ge » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm

There is one of these for sale in my area on craigslist. The guy wants $250 with a small amp included.

I don't need the amp, so I'd offer him less. Anyone know what these are worth roughly>? Couldn't find any on ebay. And do they sound decent? I'd be pairing them up and sequencing with my MPC1000 in combination with a Korg TR rack.

Anyone have one of these? From what i've gathered it says the first OS wasn't that great.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Generalmusic Equinox 61...

Post by space6oy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

i've never even heard of generalmusic before... :dontknow:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

The Korg kicks its a*s sonically. I've used the GEM S2 and they're very similar, except that the S2 has poly aftertouch and a very good action. Equinoxe does not have poly aftertouch, so there's no way it's worth the asking price. Review here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/a ... mequin.htm

The same company brought us the Synthex, and the factory is now owned by Roland. In Italy.

rockinroller

Post by rockinroller » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:33 pm

The Equinox is a great board--if you know how to use it (or want to take the time to learn). It was way ahead of its time when it came out in the late 1990s. It also suffered from an inconsistent operating system that had a few bugs associated with it.

The value of those in recent times is:

61 Note version: $200-$300 depending on condition
76 Note version: $400
88 Note "Pro": $400-$600