Synths with weighted keys and aftertouch?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
MitchK1989

Synths with weighted keys and aftertouch?

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Basically I want my next "master keyboard" to have 88 weighted keys and aftertouch, because I'm taking lessons and actually getting into proper piano technique now and need something better than an SL61 to practice on...

So my question is whether I can also get a sound engine in the thing rather than using it only to control my computer, especially if that sound engine would offer me a good workflow for doing things without the computer... I know I could get a workstation, but I'd rather use a computer than dive through endless menus...

So yeah, basically I want something which will ultimately be my midi controller (I don't care about knobs or whatever on it though, just nice keys, pitch/mod wheels or joystick, and aftertouch really) but am hoping to get something "cool" out of it (considering my current setup = eurorack modular, monomachine SFX-6, and a computer with komplete 7, u-he stuff, ohm force stuff, vember audio serge, and a bunch of random effects as I tend to impulse buy $50 or less fx plugs all the damn time)

Anything of the sort available? Any cheaper competitors to the nord stage? The Stage's knobby synth section even if limited and piano/organ emulations kind of make it a great "keyboard" but $3000 is too much imo.

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Synths with weighted keys and aftertouch?

Post by rhino » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Kurzweil K2500x. Lots of s**t and whistles you don't seem to need, but they go about $500-700 nowdays.
Great feeling action.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 pm

it's 73 keys instead of 88, and no aftertouch, but you might want to look into an Ax73 as a master keyboard that's also a decent analog synthesizer
http://www.vintagesynth.com/akai/ax73.php

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 pm

has anyone here ever played an AX73? Is its comparable to a proper master keyboard in terms of key weighting and feel?

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Prophet t8. A complete beast, but still awesome.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:26 pm

There's also the Yamaha S80 and S90. Cool machines that set the stage for the Motif range.
soundcloud.com/vectron