The Most Badazz Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
dzlvs8
Gear: Tons and tons of ridiculously expensive keyboards.

The Most Badazz Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:46 am

I want a DIRTY sounding polyphonic analog synthesizer. It sounds like the new Dave Smith stuff (Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver) are a little cleaner than the old stuff (SCI and such). I like the features of those synths but I dont think I would like the sound.

SO what is the most bad a*s, DIRTY sounding, full of character polyphonic synthesizer, in your opinion???????

NOTE: I couldnt stand the sound of the Juno 106. It was a boring synth that had way way way too clean of sound for me. I dont even think the Juno 60 would be dirty enough. So, I really would like to stay away from DCO's if possible.
Also, I dont want the Andromeda A6. I dont care how awesome it is. Its ugly. 8-)

I think I really am looking for a Prophet 5 or Jupiter 4, but they will probably be out of my price range. I want to keep this under $2000. So Prophet 600??? Youtube videos of it sound like classic analog.

OPINIONS PLEASE

FYI - My gear right now is a minimoog D, arp avatar, arp omni, and Mono/poly. Thats the sounds I like. and I really dont like how the poly works on the mono/poly so I need something else. OH YEAH, I also have a Roland JD-800 digital synth coming in the mail. Yeah, I will probably never touch it.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The Most Badazz Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer

Post by garranimal » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:50 am

I'll start. I'm excited because you said polyphonic. The MemoryMoog has loads of warmth and character but I wouldn't call it dirty most times but it is capable. For aggressive grit the AX-60 is way underrated. I sold mine for a Jupiter-6 which is now my go-to aggressive filthy synth. I love the JP-6 oscillators capable of composite waveforms, filter, sync, cross-mod, unison stack w/ detune. It's got this gritty in-your-face sound and lots of times doesn't sit well in a mix. But if done right you can really make it leap out of the speakers. Lots of guys go to the Access stuff for grit. I just picked up a Venom which I love dearly as it is capable of complete insanity, 12-voice polyphonic, and versatile enough to pull out some really beautiful sounds as well as complete lof-fi super-modulated filth.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 am

You think the PEK isn't dirty enough? :shock: There is no synth dirty enough for you then.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 am

I would go prophet 600 with some nice analog effects.

but in my experience there is no perfect analog poly synth out there! each one is unique but I don't like most polys because the oscillators never sound as fat as they do on monosynths for the most part and a lot of ploys just sound weak and a bit cheesy to me

I think that putting together a modular poly with something like malekko oscillators and filters in eurorack format would be awesome

Maybe the new oberheim four voice or a poly chain little fatty setup

My favorite poly is oddly the rs505
for sale/trade: EML-101

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:13 am

Stab: Whats a PEK????
Crazy guy: No, Im not gonna buy four Lil Phatties

I REALLY LIKE THAT RS505. I've never even heard of it until now.

Heres a little bad azz video I just found of what I am dreaming of playing.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 am

dzlvs8 wrote:Stab: Whats a PEK????
Poly Evolver Keyboard. And he's right. It can get super dirty. Lots of distortion and feedback options, including the Minimoog trick and a 2/4-pole switchable filter for choosing your resonant grit. It can be clean and precise and it can be gritty. It can also be very stable DCO and very drifty "VCO," depending on how you program it.

But if you're just looking for an analog poly with grit that has the DSI/SCI sound, the P600 might indeed be more up your alley. It's naturally gritty, albeit in a different way than the Mono/Poly.

stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

Post by stevebirss » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:52 am

I love my Prophet 600, and I totally agree with you on the Juno 106. I sold my 106 to pay for my 600 and it was a GREAT choice. The VCO vs DCO's makes a massive difference. The 106 was very uninspiring to play. Every time I touch my Prophet I'm writing a new sound and I love it. I think it's going to stick around in my arsenal for a long time.
I went through quite a few synths before landing on the Prophet 600 and I am bloody loving it. If you can find one for a good price, buy it. For the price, you can't go wrong.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:33 am

dzlvs8 wrote:I want a DIRTY sounding polyphonic analog synthesizer. It sounds like the new Dave Smith stuff (Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver) are a little cleaner than the old stuff (SCI and such). I like the features of those synths but I dont think I would like the sound.
Why don't you think you'd like the sound? Just because they're new or do you have an actual reason? If I were you I'd actually have a play round with one before you make up your own mind; it's a synth so it sounds like whatever you want it to sound like.

I was of the opinion that the Mopho and Tetra were very polite sounding and a bit dull based on the demos I'd heard of them, the presets that they come with and my own experience with the Evolver where I use the digital stuff that doesn't come on the Mopho/Tetra way more than the analogue stuff. Then I got a Tetra in a swap and played with it for about 20 minutes and had it making the same kinds of sounds that I tend to do with every synth. That thing is deep enough to be able to get pretty much anything out of it if you know how to program. I'm enjoying using it with the MEK in combo mode so I have 5 voices all of which are different. Makes some really nuts sounds, and dirtier than anything else you could imagine if you want.

goom

Post by goom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Here's another vote for the Prophet 600. I love mine, and it should be in your price range.

dzlvs8

Post by dzlvs8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
dzlvs8 wrote:I want a DIRTY sounding polyphonic analog synthesizer. It sounds like the new Dave Smith stuff (Prophet 08 and Poly Evolver) are a little cleaner than the old stuff (SCI and such). I like the features of those synths but I dont think I would like the sound.
Why don't you think you'd like the sound? Just because they're new or do you have an actual reason? If I were you I'd actually have a play round with one before you make up your mind.
Yeah I have a reason why I don't think Id like the sound, I've read descriptions of the sound and it is said to be cleaner and purer than an original prophet. That's direct from the description on this website. I heard similar things elsewhere about the bass sounding thin and stuff. I don't really want that.

I can't play these synths before ai buy them. The music stores around here have like 5 synths in them. Motifs, Juno G's, micro korgs, and that s about all.:(

You mentioned the mopho with a tetra 4. Hows that? I like the yellow on the mopho (i have simple pleasure sometimes). I've heard that the oscilatora are nice sounding but the filter isn't all that great? What do you think about the mopho? Would I still be better off with a prophet 08 because of an easier to use sequencer and stuff?
I

Trust me, I really want to like the prophet 08. Its a lot of synth for the price.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 pm

The analogue oscillators and filters of the Mopho, Tetra, Prophet 08 and all Evolvers are the same. The differences between them (apart from all the extra stuff the Evolvers have) are more to do with usability than sonic differences.

I didn't mention a Mopho, I mentioned an MEK. But I use it with a Tetra, they work together pretty well and sound quite similar.

I wouldn't pay that much attention to what it says on VSE. It says the MS-20 is a good replacement for people who want a Minimoog. :D

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

I like the person that suggested you get your sound outside of the synth.
Go to Analogue Haven and check out some pedals.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

IMHO, if you have to have the MOST BADAZZ analog poly, you just have to pay for it: Prophet-10. Period.
Unless you design and build (or hire designed and built) some one-of-a-kind monster, this one is the alpha male.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
I wouldn't pay that much attention to what it says on VSE. It says the MS-20 is a good replacement for people who want a Minimoog. :D
And for $400 - $900 at that!

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 pm

PPG.