Chairs for Synth'n

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
hasty

Chairs for Synth'n

Post by hasty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Recently at work I had an ergonomic assessment. We lowered my desk, I started mousing with my left hand, and I got the company to buy me a new chair. It really helped with the pain I was experiencing.

One thing I realized through that process is that my home studio is really, really poorly set up for ergonomics. I'm in a small room, stuff I'm reaching up for is stacked up on top other stuff I'm reaching down for. Then I have keyboards that are a foot and a half above and in front of me...not ideal. It doesn't take long before I'm experiencing shoulder, back and wrist pain and the creative process is interrupted by the need for a break, a stretch or just quitting altogether.

So here's a question. What chair works for you? Many of us have studios with lots of rack gear, knobs to tweak, and stacked keyboards. I'm personally looking for something that has a lot of vertical adjustment. Something I can easily pump up or down, so my shoulders and wrists are a little more ideally positioned to play with my gear. My current chair goes neither low enough nor high enough. And because I'm in a tight space, I need something that has a narrower back. One careless swivel and I could smash a knob or bump an endcheek pretty easily. My chair is a decent chair...for an office. It's just not the right one for a studio. What are you using? Any suggestions?

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Re: Chairs for Synth'n

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't own one, because they are pricey, but the Aeron Chairs are the definition of supportive...I often work 10-12 hour days at the office where we all have them, and I never have back pain from sitting in my chair...

hasty

Post by hasty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Those Aerons are nice chairs. Way above my personal budget.
I wonder if a drafting chair is what I'm looking for, to get more variety in chair elevation.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:24 pm

Ergonomics are important! I changed my setup to be accessible while standing (via a tall double-tier stand), and it's far more comfortable for my back than a desktop layout. Plus its easier to rock out when standing up.

For a more desktop-oriented person, I'd suggest something like this (a height-adjustable lab stool):

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:36 pm

hasty wrote:Those Aerons are nice chairs. Way above my personal budget.
I bought an Aeron about a year ago. It cost more than I could really afford at the time but it's really great and I'm still sitting in a really comfy chair long after I forgot about paying for it.

hasty

Post by hasty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
hasty wrote:Those Aerons are nice chairs. Way above my personal budget.
I bought an Aeron about a year ago. It cost more than I could really afford at the time but it's really great and I'm still sitting in a really comfy chair long after I forgot about paying for it.
That's a good point. How many times have I pulled out the Visa for yet another musical bauble I may or may not want a year from now? And if shoulder and wrist pain is literally preventing me from playing (at times) - it may well be worth it. For my setup though I think just a chair with improved vertical adjustment and perhaps a smaller footprint (for easier swiveling/less neck craning) is still a reasonable ergonomic improvement. I really like the earlier suggestion of a lab-style chair.

Another thought is that for the cost of something like the Aeron, considering I have a pretty tiny room, maybe I put that kind of money toward a more suitable desk (something with room for a pull out master keyboard) or even a standing-only setup. Some people at work stand all day and they swear by it. I've read that sitting for hours a day has been proven to be pretty unhealthy.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 pm

Bump because I wanna know if there are other comfy desk/synthin chairs out there that cost less than $800.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:18 pm

It is totally dependent on what your studio layout looks like. If it's an office desk type setup, any good office chair will work (armless IMHO). If it's keyboard stands or a workbench or any other weird DIY thing, lab chair or standing is best.

blakeq

Post by blakeq » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:00 am

I would recommend looking on craigslist for some, Aeron used to be about $400 on there when I bought one. Worth it.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 am

blakeq wrote:I would recommend looking on craigslist for some, Aeron used to be about $400 on there when I bought one. Worth it.
yeah i checked earlier and there are plenty in that range.
i have an aeron at work and love it. might have to go ahead and spring for one for home...

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I have an office chair that I use mainly when I'm in front of the computer or the rack. (When I'm playing keys, I usually stand up.) It's comfortable to sit in, and the fact that it swivels is nice because I've kind of built a corner around it where I can swivel around and face different things. The main problem that I have with it is that the space is small, and anytime I try to move the chair, the base bangs into something. I'm thinking about something like a bar chair that has a smaller base.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:25 pm

The Aeron chairs have options made to order which you can make it cheaper. But I've had decent luck seeing them in the past in secondhand office furniture warehouses. With economic downturn I'll bet those places have a lot these days marked down to move.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm sitting on a used Humanscale Freedom Task chair for €250 including delivery on ebay. Excellent alternative to the Aeron because it's not as well known.

Look out for office furniture clearances.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:59 pm

Anyone use a sit/stand stool?

I've been looking at something like one of these:
http://www.labsafety.com/LYON-Sit-Stand ... _sku=27282

http://www.alimed.com/Alimed/product/Si ... 53,139.htm

Any user experience out there?
I would use it at home and on the road.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

foodeater

Post by foodeater » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:34 pm

Standing is good and those sit/stand stools look neat, but mostly I lay down (it's okay becasue I work out and take walk breaks :lol:). I was recently thinking about trying to find something like a massage table at an incline, but I'm not sure about arm movement. I sometimes use a yoga ball and it's pretty good as it seems to enforce good posture easily.