What are some Moog Prodigy pros and cons

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
basic303

What are some Moog Prodigy pros and cons

Post by basic303 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:02 am

I'm considering purchasing a moog prodigy from a friend of mine, need some pros and cons of purchasing one of these.
Arsenal: Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1,Roland JX-3P, Yamaha DX7s, Doepfer Dark Energy, Multivox String Machine, Korg DDD-1, Korg M1, Roland MKS-7, 1978 Fender Precision Bass, Upright Bass

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Re: What are some Moog Prodigy pros and cons

Post by Fatbenelton » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Nice synth - I have one.

Pro's
Sounds great
Cheap (ish) for dual VCO Mono
Moog Sound
Great Osc Sync
Robust
Pretty Reliable
It's got wood!

Cons
Early models had no cv/gate
No ADSR - has ADS..
Basic modulation (pro - simple architecture, con- no wacky wierdness like on a pro-one or Octave CAT)
No performance -arp etc (pro - simple, no batteries and less to go wrong¬)
Bob Moog had nothing to do with it! (not really important but it might be to some anal collector!)

Bottom line is that it is a very nice sounding synth with 2 VCO's and moog 'character'......
Jonny Jones

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Nice basic synth

Easy to work on should it require repairs. Most parts easy to source. Can sound very much like a Minimoog too on some sounds

I had one for a while and done a few side by side tests with the Mini.... was very impressed with it

Cant think of many bad points to mention... as previous though not all of them had external control but thats simple to add in anyway

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Pros: Sounds great, looks great, will hold (or increase) it's value.
Cons: Expensive, no MIDI, fairly crappy keyboard, limited flexibility.

It's a good source of "vintage Moog sound" but I generally stay away from vintage stuff these days unless I find a ridiculous deal on something. Unless you have a lot of other synths, your money would serve you better buying newer stuff where you get much more bang-for-your-buck. The Prodigy is sort of a one trick pony, though it's THE pony to have if you plan on starting a The Cars cover band :)

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:31 pm

natrixgli wrote:, though it's THE pony to have if you plan on starting a The Cars cover band :)
I was listening to them when I read this, perfect hasard :). I don't hear to much Prodigy?

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am

Mr. DiSco wrote:
natrixgli wrote:, though it's THE pony to have if you plan on starting a The Cars cover band :)
I was listening to them when I read this, perfect hasard :). I don't hear to much Prodigy?
Probably not, I think they used a Prophet 5 mostly. But for a lot of stuff they probably could have used a Prodigy just as well. When I thought about the oscillator sync on the Prodigy it reminded me of playing a cover of "Let's Go" on mine back in the day.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:32 pm

The Cars used the Korg 700s. A LOT.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:43 am

sounds *great*, but not as robust as something like a Pro One. you can retrofit CV/gate in early models, no worries.

i highly recommend it.

Fatbenelton
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Prophet VS, Jupiter 4, Trident, Minimoog Reissue, Korg Odyssey FS, Analog Keys, WSAD, Nyborg, EX8000, CR78,RX5, KR55, Minipops7 & MV8800

Post by Fatbenelton » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 pm

I have both a pro-one and a prodigy - I've taken 'robust' to mean strong and well made (as opposed to sound) and on that basis I have to correct you - the prodigy is more robust than the pro-one which is perhaps the most flimsy, poorly made synth I own!
From a sound point of view the Pro-one is great and more flexible and powerful than the Prodigy. Nevertheless the Prodigy has a sound and character of it's own and is a lovely synth.
Jonny Jones

Paraphonique

Post by Paraphonique » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Another con :

No noise source.

madrasputin
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Too many to list. Ask if you want a list of my gear to peruse.
Band: Narcotic Puppeteers

Post by madrasputin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm in agreement with everyone else about it being a reliable and great sounding Dual VCO monosynth. It is the Moog sound most assuredly so you'll be getting great bass lines and some really cool leads out of it! Highly recommended especially if it's an early model that you can retrofit with Midi/CV. Buy yourself that Prodigy!
Moog LP/Voyager XL/MS 2000/EMX-1/Z1/Polar TI2/ESQ-1/Matrix 6/Red Square v2/JP-8000/Fender Rhodes Mk 1/Euro Modular/OB-12/Prophet '08 PE/Mod-CB MC-505/Blofeld KB/Accelerator/Juno 106/NI Komplete 8/SK-15/Poly 800 II/XBASE 999/Metasonix D1000/Minitaur

Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Post by Omniant » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKKugiDf4E

This video should indicate that yes, you need one.