Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:35 pm

pflosi wrote:Ok, I see. The only cheap thing that comes to my mind then is the digital effect module from flame:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/flame- ... ect-module

No CV though... Probably not what you're looking for in a modular...
Guess that'd be cool if you're really short on space and don't just want to stick a multi-effects unit in the same rack as your modular, but it does seem kind of pointless otherwise without any CV.

But yeah, if anyone has any thoughts on the 4ms Atoner, Elby Mangler, or any other budget pitch or frequency shifters with CV-controllable rate, or any other thoughts on how to achieve FM of external audio, please chime in. :D
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by space6oy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:51 pm

it's lack of CV control has been bitched about since it was revealed. he'll probably make an expansion for it eventually. it's a nice little multi effect.

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Just ordered a Plague Bearer, sounds like it should be a good gnarly friend for the Wasp.

And Stackcables are back in stock at AH. Only the yellow (50cm) ones so far, though.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Hair
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Edison, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by Hair » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:01 am

One thought is that anything that can be controlled via expression pedal can be controlled via CV, info on how to do it safely here: http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/en ... 9321991586

I really want to start a eurorack modular as well, but I don't have the funds currently. Was looking at the MFB Microzwerg as a temporary solution/gateway drug, but now I'm thinking that I'll eventually want the MFB OSC 02 (marry it to a Toppobrillo Quantimator for chords), Dual ADSR and Dual LFO, so I might as well get the Kraftzwerg Euro module version.

Also, I've heard that if MFB stuff is out of stock it's actually easy to order direct from MFB, even internationally.

User avatar
space6oy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 am
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.
Location: stuck in ohio.
Contact:

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by space6oy » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:42 am

Hair wrote:Also, I've heard that if MFB stuff is out of stock it's actually easy to order direct from MFB, even internationally.
i mentioned that earlier in this thread. & i'm in the US. long as it isn't discontinued / out of stock there, it's actually a better deal to buy direct, too, despite international shipment.

Hair
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Edison, NJ
Contact:

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by Hair » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 am

space6oy wrote:i mentioned that earlier in this thread. & i'm in the US. long as it isn't discontinued / out of stock there, it's actually a better deal to buy direct, too, despite international shipment.
Haha perhaps that's where I heard it - old-ish thread, I forgot I'd even posted back on the first page :lol:

Anyway, that's awesome - I noticed that about the prices too. Dual LFO is listed at $200 on AH and ~$170 with the current exchange rate direct from MFB?

User avatar
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:37 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Hair wrote:One thought is that anything that can be controlled via expression pedal can be controlled via CV, info on how to do it safely here: http://www.analogindustries.com/blog/en ... 9321991586
Neat-looking trick! Thanks for that. I'll have to give it a try with one of my Boss VF-1's (I could just run the expression pedal input to the patchbay that sits right below the modular in the rack for some handy voltage-controlled multi-effects).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

User avatar
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:14 pm
Gear: more than 150 characters...
Location: zürich
Contact:

Re: Sticking a toe in the modular (Euro) waters

Post by pflosi » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:31 am

pricklyrobot wrote:
pflosi wrote:Ok, I see. The only cheap thing that comes to my mind then is the digital effect module from flame:

http://www.schneidersladen.de/en/flame- ... ect-module

No CV though... Probably not what you're looking for in a modular...
Guess that'd be cool if you're really short on space and don't just want to stick a multi-effects unit in the same rack as your modular, but it does seem kind of pointless otherwise without any CV.

But yeah, if anyone has any thoughts on the 4ms Atoner, Elby Mangler, or any other budget pitch or frequency shifters with CV-controllable rate, or any other thoughts on how to achieve FM of external audio, please chime in. :D
While lurking on the doepfer page I came across their VC DSP and thought of you. Maybe that's another option? Slightly cheaper than the atoner and gives you some digital effects along with the pitch shifter ;)

Post Reply