Korg Polysix: Is it even worth the trouble?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Korg Polysix: Is it even worth the trouble?

Post by cornutt » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:20 am

space6oy wrote:
cornutt wrote:On the Mono/Poly, the poly section is really just a string synth. So yes, they are very different.
afraid you're talking about the wrong synth... poly mode just splits its four VCO's.
You're right. I guess I was thinking about the ARP Quadra or something like that. Did Korg ever make anything that combined a monosynth and a string synth? I'm drawing a blank.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:25 am

delta.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am

Alex E wrote:I'm in the market for a P6 now that I realized it is indeed in my price range. But it seems like every other poor polysix on the market now has problems. -The battery exploded some time down the road, keys don't work, odd broken things here and there... "This worked fine 3 years ago but I just took it out of storage and it's screwed up." it's weird.

I found a good, honest, tech only one mile away from my house (!) who can work on one if I need... Is it worth investing in though?

The reason you are mostly seeing those 'was working fine, now acting up' Polysix is because people with fully working ones don't want to part with them as often :) What you are seeing are battery damaged ones being sold either honestly or with that vague 'been in storage' story. Any P6 that is playing up is most likely to be battery damaged (though not always). If you really want one without the risk then you'll have to pay for it. They do come up occasionally as 'fully working', also try and get a vid/extra photos etc if you can for reassurance. I have 2 Polysix now will sell one eventually, but I do love the sound/filter and once they are fixed they appear to be very reliable (esp with tuning compared to some older VCO synths)

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:23 am

Just change the battery and you will be fine. It is a beautiful instrument with a lot of character. My first analog synth, will never sell it.