Looking for a kickass Vocoder

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Looking for a kickass Vocoder

Post by silikon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:53 pm

...I'm open to software and hardware.

I'm considering getting a Symbolic Paca Rana, but they're pretty expensive... but I hear that they will allow you to build what you want to do (akin to Reaktor but deeper, I suppose), and I could go well past a vocoding app.

I've got Reaktor now, so if I'm missing one of the included ensembles, let me know. I'd really rather not have to build my own at this point, but if I have to, I guess I will. I'd rather stay with something I can either rack up, and go, or instantiate as a plugin.

Without getting too far into what I'm trying to accomplish, I want to be able to use it against vocals and perhaps in line with some instruments as effects....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Looking for a kickass Vocoder

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Nord Modular G2.

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:11 am

Nord modular's are great instruments. I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed. I believe that Paia also makes a vocoder kit.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:40 am

+1 on Nord Modular. I've not had the G2, just the Micro and would still have it if it did polyphonic vocoding.

Now I use the TC Helicon Voice Synth. You can plug any audio source into it. So I can plug any of my synths into it. That means I can get vocode a Blofeld areppegio patch or go old school with my Little Phatty.

And the MicroKorg's vocoder is actually pretty good on the cheap.

giorgio

Post by giorgio » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:40 am

After searching, researching and buy many vocoders, I am left with my 2 favorite, and missing 1 favorite but only barely. The best I have found is the Roland svc-350, with Jupiter 6 and an sm57. second best and even more versatile is the korg ms-2000. Runner up for me is the vp-330. Very nice but not as versatile as the svc-350. These are all hardware, and the vintage Roland units are not cheap, but very kick-a*s. The ms-2000 is actually not too expensive at all

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 am

I have a Roland svc 350 and hands down its the best vocoder I ever have owned.I also have a Korg DVP 1 ,A warp factory,A ms2000,a micokorg,a Nord micro modular and a zoom 1204.After the svc I like the Nord alot.after the nord I like the Zoom1204 in fact it can come kinda of close to the svc at times beleive it or not if I input a analog.It does not matter I what use as a input on the svc it always sounds good.I can get just as good vocoder sound from inputing my ms2000 or microkorg as I can any of my analogs :D
Last edited by computron on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:02 am

silikon wrote:...I'm open to software and hardware.

Without getting too far into what I'm trying to accomplish, I want to be able to use it against vocals and perhaps in line with some instruments as effects....

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

for this you might want to look a the korg dvp1 its more then just a vocoder and would be great for this
Living the Electro Life

giorgio

Post by giorgio » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm

anyone tried any of the new electro-harmonix vocoders? I'm thinking of pairing one of these with a multi-timbral (maybe a roland sh-32) synth so that I can arp and vocode at the same time, in a small space.

tim_m
Gear: Access Virus KB (x2), C
Akai AX-80
Juno-60
Ensoniq SD-1
Electribe ESX
Lots of guitars
Band: Trace-on.

Post by tim_m » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 pm

I have the Electro-Harmonix V256 vocoder. It's a nice sounding vocoder for vocals, if you aren't using its internal midi synth. (too harsh to my ears) It responds well to being fed the audio from an external synth instead. It has a bunch of features that are handy for live use, such as when it isn't being fed audio or midi for the carrier, your microphone ceases being vocoded; just normal vocals come through. No footswitch tap dance! This is good if you are singing a song that has only portions of vocals that are being vocoded.

It isn't the most flexible vocoder, however, when compared to the vocoder in my Access Viruses or Logic's vocoder. They're both more capable of doing some really otherworldy, but unintelligible stuff. The V256 can be fed any two audio sources, which means you aren't limited to synthesizers, unlike the Virus.