Analougue or analogue modeling? Juno, or lesser?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Analougue or analogue modeling? Juno, or lesser?

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Complete nubey. I need to buy a synth keyboard. I was after a hardware synth. On deciding which type, I have decided on three possiblilities

1. Buy an Analogue modeling synth from $700-$1000 dollars. Should I buy a mini/mini k3 Korg or a SH-01 Roland or a novation?

2. Go on ebay and buy a Juno-6/60/106 Which are sought after now, so' id be paying like $1000 (or more)

3. Or buy a less sort after poloyphonic analougue synth, like a Jx-8p.or a later roland synth keyboard rack model $500- 1000

is it possible to control the Jx-8p Parameters with midi? do u need a pg-800?

What should I go for. I listen to (and want to play) like 80's post punk, goth, post-punk revival and like enter shikari

I live in Australia, and would probably have to pay more for a new synth. Is it worth buying one from the US over ebay? and their are less vintage synths lying around, so I have to pay more for them too

I also have the feeling that vintage keyboards are going to get, more and more expensive...

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: Analougue or analogue modeling? Juno, or lesser?

Post by madmarkmagee » Wed May 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Also what about Yamaha Dx-7s'?

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed May 04, 2011 5:00 pm

as a beginner, i suggest you prioritize knobs and controls over the sound nuances between analog and digital.

that being said, kore ms2000. if you can get a decent priced juno 106 that's a great synthesizer as well. I always wanted to dislike it when I owned it due to it's simplicity, but then I'd go play it and get lost in it's nice bounce and sound.

other similarly priced / featured virtual analogs would also fit the bill nicely. alesis ion, the bigger novations, etc. To get a feel for synthesis it's important to not be caught in menu h**l.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:44 pm

th0mas wrote:as a beginner, i suggest you prioritize knobs and controls over the sound nuances between analog and digital.
=D>

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 pm

th0mas wrote:To get a feel for synthesis it's important to not be caught in menu h**l.
I totally agree. I don't know how much they go for out in Australia, but I like the Novation Supernova....keyboard version can be difficult to find though. I think when learning synthesis, access to controls is the most important thing. It makes it easier to learn in my opinion. I would stay away from some of the synths with few cotrols...ie. the Alesis Micron. Though I personally like the synth, I think it would be nightmare to learn on; and you would probably get very frustrated.

The Korg MS2000, as was stated earlier, seems to be a popular choice for those getting into synths. It is a good keyboard, and the interface should make it easy for you to learn on. I personally like the Alesis Ion too. Great sounding VA, and you do have a pretty good user interface on it as well. If you are looking for a smaller keyboard, I would take a look at the Novation K-Station. It is a very good synth and very reasonable price. It can do many things as good/better than some of the more expensive VAs. It has a lot of hands on controls, and what you can't get right from the main controls, you can get with just the push of button or two. Very easy synth to learn on. If you want something bigger though you could look at the KS series. They are also reasonably priced.

RD9

Post by RD9 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Double thumbs up for the Supernova. One of the best sounding VAs of all time. Definitely my favorite VA of all. However the modulation matrix may be a little confusing af first because most synths do not "pre-wire" that many routings for you by default. It's pretty powerful. When I first got it, I was like wooaaah.