NOOB looking for analog synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rickenbacker 4003 Bass, Fender Precision Bass, EKO Acoustic Bass Guitar.
Band: Fools on Sunday

NOOB looking for analog synth

Post by marc61 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:22 pm

It's actually for my son. At age 14, he's got a pretty good handle of bass,guitar,drums and what I would call a working knowledge of keyboards.

He's very attached to old school analog equipment, so what I'm looking for is a relatively inexpensive vintage analog synth.

Every time I do a search I find out something else but, it seems like maybe I could pull off buying a Yamaha CS-10 or similar if the price was right. Any suggestions on what to look for appreciated

I am in Westchester County just North of NYC

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: NOOB looking for analog synth

Post by meatballfulton » Mon May 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Budget?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon May 09, 2011 10:48 pm

musical genre too.

marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by marc61 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 am

Well, I was actually just offered the Yamaha CS-10 at $600 so, let's call that my max.

My son is into all types of music. Mostly rock. He enjoys the Classic Rock of Zep/Sabbath/Hendrix et al. If someone were to ask me who his favorite groups are, I'd say The Flaming Lips #1,followed by Sonic Youth and Phish. We had the honor of catching LCD Soundsystem's last show at MSG, and I wouldn't be surprised of that was what inspired him to want a synth.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue May 10, 2011 12:58 am

Why did you mention analog? In comparaison I think the DSI Mopho Keyboard would be a much better buy. But that is assuming your son is interested in programming his sounds, for both analogs. Also he must not need things like pianos and organs that are involved in rock music.

You are very lucky to have seen this show, they are awesome. :D

marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by marc61 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:32 am

Mr. DiSco wrote:Why did you mention analog? In comparaison I think the DSI Mopho Keyboard would be a much better buy. But that is assuming your son is interested in programming his sounds, for both analogs. Also he must not need things like pianos and organs that are involved in rock music.

You are very lucky to have seen this show, they are awesome. :D
Not only did I see the show, I youtube'd a bunch of clips. The video is not so great but, the sound is awesome!

Oh, and he wants organs and pianos too...Maybe I'm jumping the gun on the synth? What would make him happy is a keyboard that makes cool sounds.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Tue May 10, 2011 12:51 pm

I'll look at the videos. I just bought my tickets to see The Flaming Lips playing The Soft Bulletin this summer!

If he wants those kind of sounds it's a better idea to go with a workstation/rompler. It may not be as cool for the synths, but it does everything. Cheapest are Yamaha MM6, Roland Juno Di (or just D), and Korg X50. If you can save up a bit more there is: Yamaha MO6 or MOX6, Roland Juno Gi (or G), and a couple of others. Your son might want to try them all at the music store to choose, personnally I'm more of a Yamaha guy. All of these can be bought new or used...

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Wed May 11, 2011 1:59 am

I would agree, if he wants piano and so forth, a worksation would be ideal, and I've owned a Korg X-50, which is loaded with tons of great patches, including some analog sounding synth patches. BUT, virtually no hands on "synth control". The DSI MoPho keyboard is actually an anoalog synthesizer, but with DCO's. That machine is just plain awesome for the price, and a great tool to learn subtractive synthesis with.
Bassist, synth junkie

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Wed May 11, 2011 2:48 am

From the replies, I'd say it sounds like what yo need is this combo: decent analog synth+ decent work-station-type-synth. I've had some experience with the mopho keyboard, it's pretty decent, as for the korg x-50, it seemed a bit confusing but learn able when I tried it.
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:53 am

From playing with the x-50 in the store i found it rather flimsy. Playing hard on the unit the whole thing flexes.

marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by marc61 » Wed May 11, 2011 4:29 am

I'm pretty sure my son....for now...would be really happy with an old school analog synth, made in the 80s, and get a workstation later.

I'm being offered a Yamaha SK 20 at $450. Seems to be in excellent shape. Can't find much pricing on it though.

Also being offered a Yamaha CS 10 at $600. Another option is one of our board friends has a Realistic MG 1 for sale at a reasonable price

Decisions, decisions.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Wed May 11, 2011 7:45 am

You want chords or mono synth lines? Because you are naming both types right now. If I were you I'd just get something cool like a CP70 Yamaha piano or a Wurlitzer electric piano. That would go with rock music and the song writing process greater than a synth imo. If you still want to go synth, I'd highly recommending getting a Roland Juno 106 with all 80017a chips working. It does bass, lead, pad and chords very well and fits into many genres. Or h**l, don't want to worry about reliability, get a Juno 60. You can always look at modelessfactory.com for fair prices for serviced synths.

marc61
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by marc61 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 pm

THEODICY wrote:You want chords or mono synth lines? Because you are naming both types right now. If I were you I'd just get something cool like a CP70 Yamaha piano or a Wurlitzer electric piano. That would go with rock music and the song writing process greater than a synth imo. If you still want to go synth, I'd highly recommending getting a Roland Juno 106 with all 80017a chips working. It does bass, lead, pad and chords very well and fits into many genres. Or h**l, don't want to worry about reliability, get a Juno 60. You can always look at modelessfactory.com for fair prices for serviced synths.
Yes, my responses might be confusing as I'm such a noob plus...remember I'm the bass player. This means, I stand in one place, play (for the most part) one note at a time...and at the end of the evening, get paid the same as the other guys ;) :shock:

I'd love to get an Electric piano. Know the kid would dig on a Fender Rhodes. Those are all out of my price range right now.

I have my eyes on a couple of Juno 106's as well, and agree they'd fit the bill nicely.

kids these days...they're into that "lo-fi" sound or as I call it "the cheese factor". Me? I'd probably get something brand new with a warranty that does old school, new school and can create .....future school.

If I got him a keyboard that the Flaming Lips use(I'm trying to find an equipment list for them)...he'd probably play it till the keys wore away, whether they made sounds or not :lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed May 11, 2011 3:57 pm

If you have a line on an MG-1, I would go for that. You simply can't go wrong with an MG-1 in regard to sound and features for the price you'll get one for. Not only do you get a two oscillator analog monosynth, you also get a simple but fun polyphonic synth. It is a VASTLY underrated synth. If your son actually wants a vintage sound, it'd be far more in line with his needs than more modern synths.

Here is the first of a series of videos I did on the sound and functionality of the MG-1:

Also, it'd be a great introduction to synthesis.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay