Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by monolith » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

What's a decent price for an Oberheim DX?

also, does it sync to Roland style triggers?

thanks for any info!

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun May 22, 2011 10:13 pm

$2-300 seems normal, but those with midi seem to go for a little more. I imagine those that don't have midi will work off any clock or trigger signal (just a voltage pulse, innit).
Do you even post on vse bro?

User avatar
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3503
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 am
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape
Location: Docking Bay 94 (Dallas, TX)
Contact:

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by Z » Sun May 22, 2011 10:31 pm

I think Oberheim machines use 96 Pule Per Quarter Note. I have not had a chance to integrate my DX into my studio.

User avatar
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:22 am
Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1
Location: Lusitania

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by vcs3 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 pm

monolith wrote:What's a decent price for an Oberheim DX?

also, does it sync to Roland style triggers?

thanks for any info!
pm me.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by monolith » Tue May 24, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell me about the quantisation/swing of it?

It seems to have a less rigid feel than an x0x style sequencer. I take it its not limited to 16 possible places in a bar?

I tried to recreate this beat on electribes and my 626 and 707, but it just didnt groove like the DX.


pulse_divider
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:57 pm
Location: Akron, OH DEVO CITY!

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by pulse_divider » Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 pm

You can adjust the quantization per part, I think it goes up to 1/96th and then off IIRC. You can also do swing and I think it's settable in 1% increments.
Great drum machine overall, very punchy sounding and it does seem to have some inherent swing in the sequencer, it sounds a bit bouncier than an xox-style sequencer even when quantized to 16 notes.
Of all the EEPROM drum machines I've owned, the DX is my fav. The per-voice pitch pots on the back are great and the sounds get pretty grimy when pitched way down.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by monolith » Sun May 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info, I dont know how i missed your reply.. I really want to find one! They seem few and far between here.

If anyone is selling one PM me! 8)

James Mandible
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by James Mandible » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:29 am

Anyone know the average going rate of a DMX? There aren't any on eBay at the moment to check.
Also if anyone knows if there's any difference between the DMX and the DX other than the DX having slightly fewer sounds, that'd help too. Thanks!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:48 am

monolith wrote:Thanks for the info, I dont know how i missed your reply.. I really want to find one! They seem few and far between here.

If anyone is selling one PM me! 8)
There was one for sale in Melbourne a year or two ago for $150. I had a play with it but it didn't really do anything for me over the DX samples in my MPC I already had. That's my opinion though, you might find it different.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1172
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by monolith » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
monolith wrote:Thanks for the info, I dont know how i missed your reply.. I really want to find one! They seem few and far between here.

If anyone is selling one PM me! 8)
There was one for sale in Melbourne a year or two ago for $150. I had a play with it but it didn't really do anything for me over the DX samples in my MPC I already had. That's my opinion though, you might find it different.
Yeah, If i had an MPC i'd settle with samples, but i've only got an ES-1 which cant really get as swing-y as an MPC or the DX seems too.

Let me know if you come across one. I might email Swoppy and see if they can let me know if one shows up there.

pulse_divider
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:57 pm
Location: Akron, OH DEVO CITY!

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by pulse_divider » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 pm

James Mandible wrote:Anyone know the average going rate of a DMX? There aren't any on eBay at the moment to check.
Also if anyone knows if there's any difference between the DMX and the DX other than the DX having slightly fewer sounds, that'd help too. Thanks!
The DX has pitch pots for each sound while the DMX has a Molex connector that can allow you to build an external breakout or controller box, but no dedicated pitch knobs. The DX uses EEPROMS in ZIF sockets for the voices while the DMX uses voice cards that contain EEPROMs. There might be other differences but these are the major ones.

I know the DMX used to go for more than the DX but it seems like lately maybe the DX goes for more? Either way it's pretty close.
I've been watching prices on the DX lately and they seem to be going from a low of mid 100s non-working, around 400 non-midi fully working, up to a high of 795 for a midi one that sold yesterday. I'd say give or take 10% either way for the DMX depending on current ebay trends/fashions.

I've had both and I liked the DX better, albeit by a pretty narrow margin. One of my favorite uses is to hook the DX hihat audio out up to the arpeggiator trigger in of my JP4, the level is just right to cause it to ratchet at different speeds depending on which button you trigger. For some reason the DMX didn't seem to do it as well. This is pretty specific to my application, though.

James Mandible
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by James Mandible » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:38 am

pulse_divider wrote: I know the DMX used to go for more than the DX but it seems like lately maybe the DX goes for more? Either way it's pretty close.
I've been watching prices on the DX lately and they seem to be going from a low of mid 100s non-working, around 400 non-midi fully working, up to a high of 795 for a midi one that sold yesterday. I'd say give or take 10% either way for the DMX depending on current ebay trends/fashions.
Really, the DX without the Stretch goes that high? There's one around 200 right now but it's still got a couple of days left.

Thanks for the rest of the info. :)

pulse_divider
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:57 pm
Location: Akron, OH DEVO CITY!

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by pulse_divider » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:48 am

James Mandible wrote:
pulse_divider wrote: I know the DMX used to go for more than the DX but it seems like lately maybe the DX goes for more? Either way it's pretty close.
I've been watching prices on the DX lately and they seem to be going from a low of mid 100s non-working, around 400 non-midi fully working, up to a high of 795 for a midi one that sold yesterday. I'd say give or take 10% either way for the DMX depending on current ebay trends/fashions.
Really, the DX without the Stretch goes that high? There's one around 200 right now but it's still got a couple of days left.

Thanks for the rest of the info. :)
Well, it's Ebay so there can be wild variations in price in a short time, but I've been watching them on and off for the last year and a clean, fully working stock non-midi non-stretch model seems to be pretty solidly in the $300-500 range. I sold my stock model last year with a few extra eeproms and it went for $450 BIN within a couple of hours. A year ago is a lifetime in Ebay terms, but it seems like the average since then has been 300-500 depending how hot it is at the moment.
Generally with Ebay, though, if you're patient and don't mind waiting, you can usually find the item you want at the low end of the range or even lower through a fluke. Prices go up when a lot of people want the same thing at the same time. If you're handy you can find non-working ones for around $100 sometimes.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:40 am

monolith wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
monolith wrote:Thanks for the info, I dont know how i missed your reply.. I really want to find one! They seem few and far between here.

If anyone is selling one PM me! 8)
There was one for sale in Melbourne a year or two ago for $150. I had a play with it but it didn't really do anything for me over the DX samples in my MPC I already had. That's my opinion though, you might find it different.
Yeah, If i had an MPC i'd settle with samples, but i've only got an ES-1 which cant really get as swing-y as an MPC or the DX seems too.

Let me know if you come across one. I might email Swoppy and see if they can let me know if one shows up there.
I'd probably just save for an MPC, even a 1000 is great at eliminating drum machine lust apart from things like a machinedrum or 888. Don't know for sure about the others, but the 1000 and 2500 use universal power supplies so you can buy them from US ebay and use them in Australia without any problems.

User avatar
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:43 am

Re: Oberheim DX - Info, price check?

Post by kuroichi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:00 pm

Id agree with stab, if you can, save up and get an MPC. Unless of course your really set on a DX.

Some other differences not mentioned above are:

Some of the stock DX sounds and the Stock DMX are slightly different, and with the DMX there are different crash and ride sets. I guess this doesnt matter really unless your that bothered.

The DMX has CEM filter chips on its voice cards (for example CEM3320/3350 on the Mark 2 style cards that can take up to two eeproms), these arent really controllable, although I believe you can affect the cutoff point by modifying the resistors used. Some people argue that this adds a colour to the sounds that isnt present in the DX (Ive never used a DX myself).

I always hoped that a new DMX would get made one day that utilises a combination of either analog or flash based sampling voice cards, that were user configurable.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Post Reply