complete newby looking to buy some gear

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: complete newby looking to buy some gear

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:08 pm

intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Post by intrancewetrust » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm

thanks for the links, but i am trying to get something thats already in the country!! postage from the US would be astronomical, and the voltages are all different.

i have found a juno 60 for sale, but the guys says it has a couple of 'sticky buttons' he want 700 neg... thinking i might offer him 600?

is it fairly simple to get them replaced, and then it would probably be good to go? is this an early sign that this synth is not the best condition and more problems will start appearing?? just in your opinions obviously :)

also can get a roland jv-90 for around $600 shipped (seems pricey ??)
Korg triton LE for $400 (this ones local)
juno-6 for $750 (with hardcase)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:56 pm

You're right, those prices are OTT, apart from the Triton. But if you dislike softsynths you won't like that synth either. Just wait a couple of weeks, something will turn up. Post an ad in wanted here, or consider the MicroKorg. I
For your purposes it's the same as the MS2000 but with a simpler UI.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:32 pm

The 60 for $600 could be a good deal if you're any good with a soldering iron. The 6 with hardcase for $750 is pretty good too if you want the case, and I think the Juno 6 is probably the best synth even made for learning on, and doesn't have the same issues with voices as the 106.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:44 pm

something i dont understand is 'patches'

i get that soem are preset 'sounds'... but i dont get how you can save your own sounds... is it all about where the sliders are, and what options you selected? then it saves that sound ... and you can reapply the sliders etc to that sound... effectively 'layering' your settings everytime you save it?

is it such a disadvantage to have no saveable patches? can you just sort of remember/write down the settings for a sound you make and like... or is there more to it??

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:35 am

On a really simple synth like a Juno you don't need patch memory, in fact without it you're forced to actually learn what each control does which means you end up learning a lot faster. Once you know how it works you'll be able to get any sound you want from it in a few seconds.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:12 pm

does anyone know where i could get a hardcase that would fit a juno-60? i would have to ship it interstate so would need a hardcase or something to help it survive the journey..

gr4nf
Gear: Kurzweil PC3x
Band: Sons of Kirk

Post by gr4nf » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:23 pm

The juno-106 is probably popular enought that there are already custom fit hardcases out there just for it. If you can't find any, find a case sized for a synth with, what is it, 61 keys? You can usually find a way to build inserts for your case so the synth doesn't rattly around. I built little wooden boxes for my case that double as inserts and storage for pedals and cables. You shouldn't have to spend more than 150 USD on it, i don't think.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:51 pm

well, still looking for something decent and reasonably priced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would have expected software synths to drive down the price of this stuff ?? some of its pretty rediculous imo

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm

i'm suprised no one's mentioned an access virus (can sometimes be had for a fair price and very flexible synthesis wise) or a yamaha an1x. The an1x is a great "emulator" and a true bread and butter synth mostly capable of doing anything. Pair it with an1xedit and all the patches in the yahoo group - you'll be rocking. I'll second picking up a micrkorg or ms2000 for cheap. I didn't like the jp8080s sound, but it does have a lot of knobbies. juno series is a good bet, but you could get two cheap but good digitals for the same price.....

FWIW - I'd really recommend you stick with softsynths for the learning process. A definite good download for helping to learn synthesis is Jeff McClintock's Synthedit. You'll learn modularity and programming faster than any other way if you mess with some of the modules in synthedit. the demo is free too :)

the reason why i say about keeping with soft synths is IMO - your first synth molds you into your music. Like you said about learning to drive on a raggedy old ride, if you learn all the ins and outs of programming a synth via soft-synths, you'll know exactly what you want to get out of your hardware synths, and exactly why one model is better/worse than another. there's A TON to weigh in your head about which gear is right for your rig, you just need to make sure the flaws in your gear don't overwhelm your creative ability.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 am

i wish i could get interested in software, but i really dont like it. it would make life alot easier/cheaper and open up alot more possibilities, but im just not a software guy i guess! keyboards and LEDS and sliders and just hardware in general is what floats my boat!

off to europe in two weeks so i might end up buying something there, provided i can sneak away from the missus and her tourist regime and maybe go to a few music or secondhand stores.

if i dont find anything in the motherland, i am thinking of just buying a mopho keyboard. its cheap, and i can just buy one from a shop! which is significantly less of a headache. once i have one toy to play around with, i will probably be a bit more patient with finding the older stuff.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:29 pm

well a d110 popped up locally for $80 in mint condition so i thought what the h**l...! and grabbed it. got it hooked up to a dodgey midi keyboard i borrowed, now trying to figure out how to work this thing!!! i guess worst case scenario, is i take the manual, knock some guy out with it and rob him for money to buy something else!!!

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 pm

well i have bought 4 synths so far and not liked any of them :clap:

D80, evolver, XL-7, D50!!

at least i know now what i DONT want in a synth!! next on the block will be a yamaha CS-15... should get it in about a month from now. have a good feeling about this one... might follow it up with a minibrute as well!

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:50 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:wow, very nice choices too. is it wrong to slowly fill my house with these things??? :shock:
Talk to people over in the Electronic Music forum on gearslutz.com. You will be actively encouraged to fill your house w/them :)

intrancewetrust wrote:next on the block will be a yamaha CS-15... should get it in about a month from now. have a good feeling about this one... might follow it up with a minibrute as well!
The CS15 seems to be an overlooked synth and from what I've heard of it, it sounds pretty good. The Minibrute has some great sound in it (Watch Automatic Gainsay's videos on youtube) and I liked your idea about the Mopho Keyboard. The MB and Mopho are both on my list as well.
Last edited by SSquirrel on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:54 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:well i have bought 4 synths so far and not liked any of them :clap:

D80, evolver, XL-7, D50!!
what don't you like about them particularly? sound? programming? I would think that a solid 90% of this forum would be pretty content with a d50 and an evolver....