complete newby looking to buy some gear

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
intrancewetrust
Gear: sausage fingers and a bad hat

Re: complete newby looking to buy some gear

Post by intrancewetrust » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 pm

definitely the programming side of things with all those 4 just did my head in! i have actually held onto the D50 and D80, i fell like there might be some sort of sonic quality in those that i could use. its a struggle to get out of preset land though, its really hard when you have no real concept of what those parameters all mean, and how they will affect the sound. im hoping that a more direct synth like the CS15 will be a good educational tool for me, and kind of have a unique enough sound to not become redundant if i buy more stuff. minbrute looks cool, and its new!!! we all like shiny new things, as well as dusty old relics i guess.

i think the minibrute has bumped the mopho off my wanted list... the evolver sounded simple in theory... in reality it was much rectum tearing to use. seems like the mopho is kind of similar, but with a keyboard strapped on. yeah i have come to realise that i hate menu diving. whats the point of having knobs to tweak if you have to dig though menus to make them 'do stuff'. i want simple, instant sound making and realtime tweaking of that sound!

P.S. samurai pizza cats... best show EVER

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:04 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:P.S. samurai pizza cats... best show EVER
FINALLY ! (someone gets it....) :D

the previously recommended juno 106 is a good bet for hands on learning. the minibrute would accomplish that as well. the evolver is a lot easier once you "get" it, but still tends to cause more of a ruckus than not.

best bet is to stick with things that have lots of knobs, or continue to mess with soft synths until you know exactly what feature set you want and then suffer with the menu diving.

if you're just after a fun monosynth - yes, wait for the minibrute imo. or a mopho with keys. minibrute is a little more flexible with the cv/gate output though.

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 pm

got my yamaha cs-15 the other day... and its... awesome! this is what i have been looking for, a simple tweakable interface that is inspiring to use. its so good it even gets me jamming on the keyboard (even tho i cant even play one note heheh). im sure it sounds terrible but its awesome fun, and im actually figuring out how all these aspects of the controls shape the sound. like i can tweak the PWM knob, and hear what PWM actually 'sounds like'. so then later on i can think... hmmm this sound needs more... PWM! good stuff!

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 am

hahah i made an extremely dodgey 'song' (use the term loosely) with this thing... im impressed by the range of sounds u can make... kicks snares, and some badass teapot bass!

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 pm

intrancewetrust wrote:hahah i made an extremely dodgey 'song' (use the term loosely) with this thing... im impressed by the range of sounds u can make... kicks snares, and some badass teapot bass!

Sounds good. Why does the track stop after 1:35 though ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

intrancewetrust

Post by intrancewetrust » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:17 pm

lol thanks :) i think it sounds like a*s but im happy with it considering i have been making music for about 6 hours!! and yeah the track is only that long, for some reason youtube added a big silent bit on the end of it :( i guess some people might say, i liked the bit when it went silent! hahaha

foodeater

Post by foodeater » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:23 am

I don't know what the prices are like in Australia, but you might want to look at a Roland vsynth (non GT). It has a learning curve for sure, but it is fun, interactive and good for crazy sounds.