crappy ebay sellers.....

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

crappy ebay sellers.....

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I just been had by a terrible listing. I wish everyone was as easy and complete to deal with as these forums are. WTF would I want with an an200 or dx200 without the plg board? I thought it was a good, but not "too good to be true" price for the whole unit. that'll teach me. just hope they don't balk at the refund.

notice the title and subtitle "perfect working condition"

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

i'm done ranting but needed an outlet with hearing ears.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: crappy ebay sellers.....

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 pm

"Perfect working condition" on Ebay actually means "turns on." :lol:

He mentioned it in the ad, so while annoying I don't think it makes him a crappy seller. I wonder how many get sold and its not mentioned? Apparently this pulling out the board thing happens a lot.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:55 pm

its freakin wack tho. i mean: if you see dx200 "works perfectly" and $210 - you click the buy it now. you don't read. you click. if they don't know that - they're an idiot. otherwise - they're just trying to scam me - which is just as stupid and worse. I'm just going to dispute it and leave negative feedaback if it comes to that, but just the same - it's incredibly irritating. it's also kind of stupid saying they offer a return policy - so what the heck? like i'm going to send it back to japan? i think that must be what they're banking on - but i'm going to light up their email between now and then. or just refuse the shipment :)

it should at least say "as is" or "READ" or something.... gah!

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:12 am

so guy emailed me back. totally cool actually. refunded my stuff right away. I guess that's what i get for being mr whiny cranky pants. you can call me a jag-off. i deserve it.

anyway - he said the units themselves go for that price in japan and the plgs run about $300 each. I guess it's supply and demand (meaning: japan has loads more demand) yeah well. lesson learned.

on to buying synths again.... :)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 am

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:you can call me a jag-off.
You're a jack-off.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

deservedly so. should i change the title to j**ka** ebay buyers? :)

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:08 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:should i change the title to j**ka** ebay buyers? :)
Perhaps, but self-flagellation won't help you get your head out of your arse.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:14 pm

honestly i normally know better on these sorts of things. I guess i just assumed no one would ever sell an an200 or dx200 without plg for more than $100 as they're completely useless. I'm normally very wary of "too good to be true" listings but now I know better for next time.

and so that's the reason why i started the post - to help someone not to make the same numbnut mistake as I did.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:15 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:honestly i normally know better on these sorts of things. I guess i just assumed no one would ever sell an an200 or dx200 without plg for more than $100 as they're completely useless. I'm normally very wary of "too good to be true" listings but now I know better for next time.
Ha, well you've admitted your mistake - that's something.

I'll take issue with the "completely useless" statement, though - I owned a DX200 for a few years, and they're far from useless. There's a full FM DX7-compatible synth in there, complete with filters and effects. It's got an awesome sound palette, you've just got to learn FM synthesis. VSE is the place to ask about this stuff: we've got (at least) a couple of FM experts who'll be happy to convert you.
and so that's the reason why i started the post - to help someone not to make the same numbnut mistake as I did.
Perhaps! Now enjoy your FM synth, and be sure to ask questions if you get stuck.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 pm

um are you aware that the plg150-dx is what makes the dx200 make the fm sounds? without the plg card - the box really is completely useless. I have a cs6x with the plg150-an (an200) card inside of it already, so am very familiar with the units. I've had two dx200s last year alone, and though I've sold them both for the sake of gettting cash back out of them - it's a very useable rig.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:40 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:um are you aware that the plg150-dx is what makes the dx200 make the fm sounds?
Ah yes. He does say "in fully working condition" - which is not true, because a fully-working DX200 has the FM synth in it - however, he's pretty clear it doesn't have the FM board.

Is it a bit cheeky? I'm not sure; his English isn't too hot.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:10 pm

samuraipizzacat29 wrote:I guess i just assumed no one would ever sell an an200 or dx200 without plg for more than $100 as they're completely useless.
Back when I had a Motif ES (that had three slots for PLG boards) I bought a couple of AN200's, pulled the boards out and sold what was left to AN200 owners whose units had broken down but still had working PLG boards.

BTW, the units are not 100% useless without the boards inside. They still work perfectly fine as drum + bass machines.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:34 pm

yeah it's funny you should mention that: I ended up buying an empty an200 for $50 a few weeks ago. The plg was just a pita to try and program from the front panel of the cs6 and I don't have an xp machine for the an editor. Now I sold the board and needed the plg to bargain with, so I'm stuck with an empty box anyway. At least it was only $50.

edit: the whole point of the OP was that $210 for an empty an/dx machine was way more than expected for an empty one, but a "good deal" for a full one.

and thx for the info, I'm going to try that tonight. I always likd the drum sounds on that. you said "and bass" machine - is there something i'm missing as far as uploaded sounds? I'd expect only drum sounds without the plg....

good to know tho so thanks a lot. you ever try n see if the dx board will work in the an housing? always wanted to dry that.... :)