Juno 106... good or bad?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Juno 106... good or bad?

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey
Just stumbled across something that raised my eyebrows. Was looking through Jexus's website when I stumbled across him bagging the JUNO -106 and saying that both the JX-3p and JUNO-60 where far superior lol, says though the 106 has good midi, u can use a converter on the CV gate of the 60(i think its a cv gate /:), says that that the sound of the 106 is rubbish compared to Juno 60/6 and jx-3p

According to this website the 3p gets 3 stars, and the 60 get 4 stars, while the 106 gets 5 stars

I was always under the understanding that the jx-10p and JUNO-106 where the best 80's analogue Roland synths

Also interesting that the 106 gets its jexus demo video in two parts, while the 3p and 60 only get one single proper jexus demo video

So here is the question.... 106... good or bad? LAWL...

Discuss

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Juno 106... good or bad?

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:50 pm

The JX3P gets a bad rap simply because of its less-than-desirable interface. If you compare it visually to the Junos, it looks like garbage. However, it's a danged two-oscillator polysynth with other impressive synthesis features the others lack. It's relative unpopularity and stupidly low price are the result of internet blather and aesthetics and little else. It is simply a more powerful and full-featured synth.
As for "sounding rubbish," I wouldn't go that far at all. I would say that to my ears the JX has a slightly different and more pleasing sound (in regard to being less obnoxiously DCO, I suppose). As far as the 6/60 sounding better than the 106... I haven't had that experience.
The Juno 106 was my first synth, and I owned it for over two years. Thus far, I've owned three different JX3Ps.
Lastly, who wants to go through the Juno 106 voice fail problem?
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:I was always under the understanding that the jx-10p and JUNO-106 where the best 80's analogue Roland synths
Hm. I think the Jupiter 6 & Jupiter 8 might have something to say about that, not to mention the MKS-80.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:09 pm

sorry, forgot about the jupiters... to expensive for me to even think about hahaha... sure they beat everything else.

Lol i'm just the devils advocate

I got carried away and exaggerated what he said... but then again... he does bag it quite a bit... and does not say it is "better then average"

Anyway see for your self http://syntezatory.prv.pl/ (you have to scroll down and click on the picture)

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 pm

madmarkmagee wrote:Also interesting that the 106 gets its jexus demo video in two parts, while the 3p and 60 only get one single proper jexus demo video
no, what's even crazier is that if you look closely at a $1 bill (us currency) you can see a little 106 in the bottom left, or sometimes at the top right! it's a f**k conspiracy man!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I'm more curious why you would be interested in a subjective answer from one or more people, when the only true judge will end up being your own ears anyway. Or are you just interested in features one may have over the other?
Maybe the Jupes are better if that's the sound you want(I used to own a JP8), and maybe the single oscillator Roland DCO sound isn't what you want either, but until you play it and either get inspired or resist the urge to vomit, how will you know?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:08 pm

The 106 is a good synth. I got rid of mine because of the chip problem.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:50 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Image

Yahuuuuu, nathanscribe is being evil.

COOL 8-)

hay man, the Juno 106 is a cool synth, but the best recommendation is... look somewhere else. There are SO MANY synths... please read the implicit message on nathan's post, if you are a newbie and really want to get into synths, go for something modern and reliable, don go for such a classic. Is not it is bad, it is just... don't go for such synth....
The Juno 106 has been used in maybe 106,000 electronic songs through music's history

EDIT:

I feel dizzy and I need a toilet right now :verymad: I think that's the result of trying to be cool when is a unnatural reaction
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Post by gunark » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:30 pm

JX3P, patch B9 - Filter Flow, any note in the lowest octave, makes my 106 weep. And they say presets were c**p. My AJ1 also sounds better, especially with unison derived from using octaves on the chord memory (though the AJ resonance can't be driven to self osc without opening it up and tweaking).

106 is more hands on, better MIDI and still sounds really good, just maybe too distinctive and not as good arguably as the 3P. In fact, had the 3P been released with the 106's midi spec and slider interface, it would be an expensive classic poly, above that of the Polysix and likely a close second in the pecking order to a JP6 in terms of power and cost, save maybe for the lack of PWM.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:07 am

As Solderman pointed out, only you can really make that judgment call. And as far as Jexus' reviews go, there's a reason why he rates synths the way he does. This for example: http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/syntezatory_p ... jp8000.htm (scroll down to where he says "Let's divide people into 3 categories". Keep in mind that he uses things in a different manner than a lot of people do, and thus he rates synths based on how useful they are from his perspective. So I'd say, try to find a 106 to try out for yourself and draw your own conclusions from there.

Synthacon
Gear: Hard and Soft Synths

Post by Synthacon » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:58 am

I sold my Juno 106 a couple of weeks ago, here are a few points....

1 - The voice chip problem, is not a massive issue, you can get good clones, mine had had two and they sounded fine, certainly an easy fix and it is one of only a couple of issues that the 106 is known for, the 106 is a fairly stable synth other than that issue.

2 - Its main problem is that it is limited. Only one DCO with a sub can be a little boring at times, having two separate oscillators is much more appealing at certain times, not that the 106 sounds bad, but on occasion it did make me go grrrr as it would be nice to maybe have had the chance to detune one oscillator against an other.

I do like the 106, and I have owned all the Roland synths so can compare with some experience of the others, and it is a nice simple synth. It has been used on countless tracks and will be used on many many more I am sure. As Jexus states it is very similar to the Nord in that it is an easy to use synth that gets results and is not overly deep or off putting which makes such synths very appealing to a huge number of people who really do not care about deep synthesis and who only want to make music.

The Juno strings are very nice and the noisy chorus unit is great to put on top of the sounds. It can also do some nice simple bass sounds as well, nothing overly 'phat' but certainly useful to have in your sonic arsenal.

It also has a great MIDI spec, something that is a HUGE bonus on a nice vintage unit, integration in to my computer setup is ever more important to me and having the MIDI side of the 106 was a very welcome thing indeed. The 128 memory locations was also rather nice as well compared to some synths.

I would say if you can find a nice one at a reasonable price and with no voice issue then you would certainly not be disappointed at all, it is a true classic and will remain that way for a long time yet, after all it is perhaps one of the few classics that are still readily available and at a nice price.
You always want just one more Synth!

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:36 am

Synthacon wrote: It also has a great MIDI spec, something that is a HUGE bonus on a nice vintage unit, integration in to my computer setup is ever more important to me and having the MIDI side of the 106 was a very welcome thing indeed. The 128 memory locations was also rather nice as well compared to some synths.
I'm kind of the opposite, full MIDI isn't so important for me- but I can certainly appreciate the benefit of having it on the Juno 106. It's certainly a synth I wouldn't rule out but I've only owned a Juno-6 (which I very much liked but later sold on) and my experience with the 106 is pretty limited.

I wouldn't read too much into the various reviews on the internet though; if it works for you want more can you ask for?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:52 am

An interesting point that doesn't get mentioned much is that Junos were the bottom of the Roland line and they were inexpensive. Even today they still sell for well less than what they cost new, despite being in demand.

I went with a buddy to get his brand new Juno 6 when Roland blew them out and dealers were selling them for $600 instead of $1000. The writing was on the wall, we checked out the JX3P ($1200? something like that) and were impressed by the step sequencer and patch memory...noone really understood what MIDI was yet. Had a lot of fun with him tweaking it for hours.

You can still easily pick up Junos for $500 or so (and Alpha Junos for $100-200) which will continue to keep them popular amongst starving musicians looking for their first analog. It's a great first synth, it sounds pretty good at what it does and that's about all there is to say about it ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:58 am

How much are they today?

Mine was 400 dol back in 2003, bought it to a nice guy on Florida.

I used it extensively, but, as mentioned before, only one oscillator, and only two envelopes, becomes boring if you have been using it during years. That was not a problem during the first years, I still loving some of the basses and noises, but I sampled it extensively and besides, some of the sliders are f**k up.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma