Juno 106... good or bad?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Re: Juno 106... good or bad?

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 am

Sure buy a Roland and make it a 106 cos every one says they are the best like 80's cool OG vintage PolySynth (Not as PHAT as da Juno60 though bruv), every one else has one or used one and I'm sure you will want to sound the same as every one else..have fun in doing that

If Jexus said burning your house down made your synth sound phatter would you do it? (Of course it HAS to be vintage 1980's Shell 4* leaded petrol or it just won't work)

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:03 pm

@vinyl_junkie
lol, not advocating any synth... just generating a discussion on the pros and cons of synths...
Calm your farm bruv

lol,you are a member of a website that writes reviews that give stars, so in a strange way you are supporting that concept that it is ok to say A is better then B...

but i'm not saying that I agree with reviews, or want to just do what everyone else does

lol, probably managed to push the price of 106's down from 700 dollars and raised 3ps for how ever long nubies see this post

hahaha free market economics....

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Yeah, don't use a piano because that sound is soooo played out and everyone and their grandmother (literally) used it :roll: If you want another oscillator to detune against, just buy another 106 8-)

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Ive had both a Juno 106 and a JX3P. I loved the 106. Its got a nice sound and its very easy to program. I wasn't so into the JX3P because of the poor interface, but it had some great sounds as well. I would choose a 106 over the 60 because of the midi issue.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:08 pm

What MIDI issue? Buy a Kenton Pro-DCB and you don't have to worry about it.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

impaler42 wrote:I would choose a 106 over the 60 because of the midi issue.
What do you need MIDI for, it's got a keyboard and I'm assuming you have fingers ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Synthacon wrote: As Jexus states it is very similar to the Nord in that it is an easy to use synth that gets results and is not overly deep or off putting which makes such synths very appealing to a huge number of people who really do not care about deep synthesis and who only want to make music.

The Juno strings are very nice and the noisy chorus unit is great to put on top of the sounds. It can also do some nice simple bass sounds as well, nothing overly 'phat' but certainly useful to have in your sonic arsenal.
Agreed, that sums it up nicely!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 am

Psy_Free wrote:
What do you need MIDI for, it's got a keyboard and I'm assuming you have fingers ;)
More fingers than polyphony yeah. But it's still nice to have Midi. I mean just personally, I sequence just on a computer keyboard because that suits my workflow. Midi is a dealbreaker for some people.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:22 am

tekkentool wrote:
Psy_Free wrote:
More fingers than polyphony yeah. But it's still nice to have Midi. I mean just personally, I sequence just on a computer keyboard because that suits my workflow. Midi is a dealbreaker for some people.
DISCLAIMER: MIDI is fine. Programming is fine. No one is a bad person, an inadequate person, or a bad musician for programming.

This argument is retarded. You're basically saying "you NEED MIDI if you record something that exceeds how many fingers you have."

1. Have you ever seen a virtuoso pianist?

2. Uh... MULTITRACKING? You don't need MIDI for multitracking.

MIDI was great when you had lots of different MIDI keyboards you wanted to control from one place... where you needed to control a lot of parameters in realtime. But let's face it. When someone complains about a synth not having MIDI (or not having adequate MIDI) today, what they're really saying is "I CAN'T SEQUENCE THIS THING, AND IF I CAN'T SEQUENCE IT, I CAN'T USE IT. I NEED QUANTIZATION."
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:29 am

The Juno 6/60/106. They look way better than they sound. Very difficult to get interesting sounds out of any of them. Modulation is worthless, aside from a pleasant vibrato. The 60/106 have patch memory, but they're so simplistic I never really saved anything.

Go ahead and waste your money on them.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:00 am

I don't particularly need sequencing but I prefer the sound of it for the music I make. Could it be that when people say they want sequencing on something it's because that suits them? Something being quantised or sequenced isn't inherently worse or gives them "less skill". It's a stylistic decision, some people don't want to overdub something 5 times when they could just sequence it. You can do it without Midi but workflow wise it's easier to do it with midi for a lot of people.

A synth like 106 isn't something I'd particularly be user for hyper-controlled midi passages but that's another matter.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:09 pm

It is a very simple synthesizer to use, definitely a good one to start out on, and they are plentiful. The 6 and 60 have gone up too far in price for me to consider one, but because of the chip issue the 106 has been more affordable than the others. I got my current 106 from someone on VSE two years ago with hard case shipped for $375. Now that people have discovered that soaking the black coating off the chips with acetone revives the chips I've started to see 106 prices begin to climb. Personally, I only use MIDI for triggering other modules. I don't MIDI sequence, mainly because I'm a Reason guy (I know, I know), but I do use my 106 as my main keyboard controller for my Tetra and VST's.

The Juno is not a star synthesizer. It is not going to be the synth on pretty much anyone's track that is the standout feature. It's not a bandwidth hog like a Moog, it doesn't rip like a Prophet, it doesn't have the big brass sound like a Jupiter. But I'm on my second one (had one with bad chips and after replacing two I gave up) and I realized I missed having its unique character in my sound. And that character is, well, sonic glue. The Juno behaves nicely and compliments other synths in a way that is terribly appealing to me. It's the synth I can use to make a mix in non-synth bands. I've used mine on alt-country recording dates, as well as indie rock, and a prog metal session I did last summer, not to mention my bands and electronic music. When people on here say a synth is thin, I get this negative connotation of something being enemic, trebley and reedy-sounding. the 106 to me has more of a ghostly, transparent sort of sound. Very ambient. I like putting that Roland filter in motion, it just has a different sound than my other synthesizers. I love playing pads with it. It would certainly be FAR more awesome with a second oscillator, but if that's what you want you eventually find another Roland synth with two oscillators instead. That said, it is the one synth I own that LOVES to be distorted for burly synth bass, precisely because it doesn't fill out the bottom so much on its own that adding big fuzz doesn't get as muddy as some other synths I have.
Last edited by redchapterjubilee on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:They look way better than they sound. Very difficult to get interesting sounds out of any of them. Modulation is worthless, aside from a pleasant vibrato.

Go ahead and waste your money on them.
I deleted the only two parts of that quote that aren't big fat dirty bastard talk! Have at you, cad! Etc. I think the Junos are lovely. They're not the most magnificent polys out there but I find them consistently useful, easy to program, and have always really liked the sound. OK, they have little modulation potential, they lack portamento, and you can't detune the oscillators as there's only one and a fixed 1-oct sub. That's never stopped me getting worthwhile results from them pretty much every time I switch them on.

Horses, courses, etc.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:43 pm

As about 99% of the arguments on here go, we all forget about the end result which is the music being made and why we choose particular instruments to get there. The Juno range is great if you are into writing songs. They are easy to program and always sound pleasant therefore they have proven to be extremely practical for getting song ideas down, and recording for that matter. They are even a staple of a genre or two. If you want to make blippity-bloop videos for youtube with your synths then yeah, go with a modular or something with tons of modulation. It's really a personal choice. Nothing is better than the other.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:09 pm

THEODICY wrote:Nothing is better than the other.
[/website]
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay