A question about roland sh201

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

A question about roland sh201

Postby breckjay » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

im looking to buy a roland sh201, do you think this is the best roland synth to match the sound of a roland sh2?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: To many cables...

Re: A question about roland sh201

Postby lazerface » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 am

sh201 is not a great synth,
it has some appealing features but the sound quality is just plain sucky.
I bought one new a few years ago - it was my first synth so I didnt know any better, finally sold it a few weeks ago.

the sh2 is monophonic, if you want something super similar but modernised you might do better with a DSI Mopho keyboard.

Otherwise i've read the new Roland GAIA is a big improvement, but i've never played one myself.
lazerface

Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Re: A question about roland sh201

Postby Rick N Boogie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:07 pm

I own an SH-201, and wholeheartedly agree with the above. What is has going for it is the price, and aside from being cheap, it's not really too great. I've played with the new Gaia, and it's far better all around, even sounds pretty good- but overall, I would much prefer a DSI synth. The MoPho keyboard is pretty inexpensive, and fully featured, and sounds great. It's a monsynth, but can be chained to a Tetra for 5 voice polyphony.
Bassist, synth junkie
Rick N Boogie

Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Return to Buyer's Guide