Need a good synth for industrial

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Need a good synth for industrial

Post by breckjay » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:03 pm

I need to get a good power house like synth with full knob control, i have got it down to 3 choices: litty phatty, raidas, or jp8000. Im am leaning heavly on the jp8000. I already have a venom and k station. so would do think would be right for me. if you know of any other synths please just let me know.
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Re: Need a good synth for industrial

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:23 pm

DSI MEK or PEK maybe ? These have analog & digital oscillators, plenty of modulation routings and can sound seriously mad.

Also for industrial type sounds you would want synth types other than just analogue or VA, such as FM e.g DX7 (no full knob control though) or wave sequencing e.g. Korg Wavestation (again no full knob control).

Also, sampling/resampling etc sounds can yield good results & wise use of effects to mangle sounds.

I seem to remember another thread on this subject, might be worth checking that out.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Out of the choices you are considering, I would personally go for the JP-8000.

Although, I think there are better choices out there. I think that any of the Viruses would be a choice if you are looking for VAs. My Virus is able to do what my JP-8000 did plus much more.

On the analog side, I would look at the Mopho or the MEK. They are both very well suited for industrial. They can create crazy noises and the Mopho, especially, can sound very aggressive.

Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Post by Plumpudding » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Not full knob controll, I know, but it's pretty straight forward and easy to use, as long as encoders work well, and I know I've said this before, but ... Waldorf Blofeld. VA, Wavetables and samples. Sounds great, crazy modulation, deep enough, for an incredible price.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Plumpudding wrote:Waldorf Blofeld. VA, Wavetables and samples. Sounds great, crazy modulation, deep enough, for an incredible price.
+1.

kaeth

Post by kaeth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 am

If you already have a Venom and a K-Station, why do you need another VA? If it has to be between those 3, I'd go with the Moog just for something a little more unique in your setup, though it might be less well-rounded than the others.

I think industrial is more about sound-processing than what synth you're using. However, I'd probably start out with something abrasive and metallic like an Evolver Keyboard, a Microwave, or something that can do FM, but I can't think of any knobby FM.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 am

Industrial.. and you already have a Venom and K-Station?

I'd say get a sampler. Maybe an Ensoniq EPS-16+ ??

monotron
Gear: C64 with SID2SID, Sammich Sid, Gameboy running LSDJ, Cheetah MS6, Novation Nova, Korg ESX, Waldorf Blofeld, Roland SH-32, KORG microKONTROL.
Band: Monotron

Post by monotron » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Def not a JP8000 - far too polite for industrial and you'll have to work much too hard with it. I'd agree with the Blofeld, but I'm looking a bit of a Blofeld fanboy of late and I really can't whole-hartedly recommend it because the OS is literally RIDDLED with bugs... :?

SH32 is knob laiden and can make some seriously nasty sounds with it's ring mod, sync and excellent distortion effects (listen to the built in demo song 2 if you can find it). It's also stupidly cheap and widely underrated so they come up frequently on the bay. Actaully, I'd recommend that over the Blofeld for your particular needs (but everyone needs a Blofeld)! :lol:

*EDIT* - FOUND IT!

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/ROLSH3 ... d02a7d.mp3

and this is a new demo for me - never heard it before (it's not industrial sounding or anything) but makes the SH sound pretty tasty. I love my SH32! :friends:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/ROLSH3 ... 9e6303.mp3

dhollmusik

Post by dhollmusik » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 am

For effective industrial music you need to combine one badboy with other stuffs:

Doepfer MS-404 + anything with GM drums (the first part of the demo):

Doepfer MS-404 + Korg Monotron/Casio SA-45/analogue effects:

(The Virus is named but is only the high-key piano-type play in the second part. The industrial growling all comes from the 404 and Monotron)

The Doepfer would destroy the K-Station in a mix, so you'd need to route the K-Station through some analogue distortion so it can keep up.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:36 am

I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread, if I were you I'd probably sell the Venom and maybe even the KS, and get a Blofeld or Virus or Evolver. More importantly you need to get some good effects and experiment with routing stuff through other stuff.

Good industrial sounds come from experimentation and using this in ways they aren't supposed to be used, rather than just using a synth by itself.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread
+1

I'd go with wave synthesis or--possibly even better--a sampler.
The Little Phatty is awesome but the last synth I'd think of for industrial sounds.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 pm

Virus TI
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Doepfer Dark Energy
Cwejman S1
Metasonix Wretch Machine

...with the understanding that you could easily do good industrial with a cheap digital or analog synth. IIRC, acts like Suicide Commando (forgive me if my information is dated) use stuff like SH-32, and whatnot. It's not about the gear you're using, but about the creative modulation and processing applied to a sound (or group of sounds), along with the arrangement.

As this:
Stab Frenzy wrote:More importantly you need to get some good effects and experiment with routing stuff through other stuff.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

breckjay
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: To many cables...

Post by breckjay » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 pm

What about a mopho keyboard?
Mopho Key's, Roland sh-32, Korg R3, M Audio Venom, Korg EMX 1, Korg ER 1, and lots of hours in the hole.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:16 am

breckjay wrote:What about a mopho keyboard?
The MoPho can be aggressive but not nearly as agressive as the Evolver.
And for $200 more the Evolver can do a lot more of what you probably want--aggressive tones, noisy effects, cling clang, bzzzt, rawwwwppwooeee, etc.