Should I buy the korg R3, or the X50?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
darienbass

Should I buy the korg R3, or the X50?

Post by darienbass » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:00 am

I'm currently in a hard rock band, and im looking to spice things up with a nice synth that i can get a fat sound out of. Geddy Lee it up it little haha. But im also thinking about recording some hip hop-ish stuff, like music thats kind of "in" right now. So im looking for some suggestions as to which one you think would work better for me, i like the x50 because it has a really nice grand piano sound, but i like the R3 because i can do alot of good stuff, such as playing around with the cutoff, attack, etc. Any suggetions will be much appreciated. :D

darienbass

Re: Should I buy the korg R3, or the X50?

Post by darienbass » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 am

I should also mention that i have little experience with keys, but ive been playing bass and guitar for a long time. In the long run i think im looking for the one i can have the most fun with.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:16 am

R3 if you want a synth, x50 if you want a keyboard.

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 am

The X-50 is totally digital, lots of menu diving if you want to tweak, but sounds alright. The R3 is a synth, but won't do everything the X-50 will. I'll go out on a limb and suggest further research on the subject. Learn the differences between all the various machines that get lumped together as "synths", and decide what sort of machine you really want. Then, the experts here can guide you the rest of the way. have fun with it.
Bassist, synth junkie