Korg Z1

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Korg Z1

Post by man-009 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Is the Korg Z1 any good?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Re: Korg Z1

Post by Psy_Free » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:19 pm

man-009 wrote:Is the Korg Z1 any good?
At/for what ?
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Any good? I think so. It was my only digital synth for the 5 years that I had it and it covered a lot of territory. Since selling it I've bought and sold many others that I didn't like as well.

I think the worst thing a synth can do is sound bland, and the Z1 definitely isn't bland. It has a unique character, which means some people will like it, others probably won't. On the technical side of things it has an awesome polyphonic arpeggiator and (I think) 4 LFOs with lots of mod destinations, so it is really good at slow evolving textures. Another cool trick is to use the assignable knobs under the screen to control more than one parameter at a time - it can sort of sound like patch morphing if you set things up correctly.

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by man-009 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:47 pm

i have a chance to get one for $300. i see they go much higher on ebay. just wondering how they are?

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Have you tried searching for some YouTube videos?

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by man-009 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 pm

anything jexus touches is good. yes i have. just wanted to see what people thought.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:40 am

I used it a lot. Here's two songs I composed with it and a Lexicon MPX-100 (almost exclusively) :

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by man-009 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:27 am

cool. thanks. very nice sound you have there!

gs

Post by gs » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:51 pm

It is an indispensable performance synth in my setup. I use it for lots of different sounds -- organs, analog leads, basses, pad textures, and one of my signature sounds: horn modeling (very breathy, quali-realistic sax/trumpet/flute sounds with XY pad to add breath-dynamics). I'd be lost without it at this point. I sold off a Triton Classic and held onto this one because it does sounds the Triton can't dream of. Don't get me started about "get the Moss expansion card for the Triton" because the Triton control surface sucks compared to the Z1.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by man-009 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:55 am

i now own a korg z1. thanks.

Scories

Post by Scories » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Great! I'd suggest to spend time with these types of synthesis other than analogue modelling that can be particularly tasty : resonance modulation, plucked strings & electric pianos (physical modelling). Reed modelling can get you great result but it's very hard to master.

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 am

I had a Z1 once. But what I didn't have was the time to flip through all the menu page to program new sounds.

If Korg would port it to a VST synth format, I would definitively buy it.
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:05 am

Any of you Z1 users ever had a problem with some of the oscillator models & not others?

EG : for the last 2 years or so my Z1 sounds terrible using the 'plucked string' ,' bowed string' , 'reed' & 'comb filter' oscillator models, while all the others are perfect.
All the problematic Osc models give the same sounding ugly digital distortion, that is just totally unusable. They nearly all sound identical... just a sort of overload distortion..harsh ..horrible.
The remain Osc models are perfect thankfully as they are the ones I use most anyway, though I miss the 'Comb filter' oscs & 'Plucked String' a lot.

I tried a system reset & loading different sounds via SYSEX. No difference. Sometimes the problem just goes briefly, but always goes back to the same.

Scories

Post by Scories » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:04 pm

iphoenix wrote:Any of you Z1 users ever had a problem with some of the oscillator models & not others?

EG : for the last 2 years or so my Z1 sounds terrible using the 'plucked string' ,' bowed string' , 'reed' & 'comb filter' oscillator models, while all the others are perfect.
All the problematic Osc models give the same sounding ugly digital distortion, that is just totally unusable. They nearly all sound identical... just a sort of overload distortion..harsh ..horrible.
The remain Osc models are perfect thankfully as they are the ones I use most anyway, though I miss the 'Comb filter' oscs & 'Plucked String' a lot.

I tried a system reset & loading different sounds via SYSEX. No difference. Sometimes the problem just goes briefly, but always goes back to the same.
No, I never encountered that problem. Must be hard to get fixed. That's the problem with digital synths, when they start to make funny things, what can you do??

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:50 am

" No, I never encountered that problem. Must be hard to get fixed. That's the problem with digital synths, when they start to make funny things, what can you do?? "

Well thats it really, not much I guess, especially as the Z1 is my most used synth, so i just replace all the patches with the offending oscillators, with working ones, which I would use more of anyway generally. I ll probably get another Z1 at some point & use them both , unless i find a way of repairing the fault or a tech that can .