Melos Echo Chamber

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Jimmy
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Ensoniq Mirage, Korg M1, Yamaha RX11, Akai MPK61, Roland SP404SX, Novation Launchpad, YSL697Z, YTR6335, Ableton Live

Melos Echo Chamber

Post by Jimmy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 am

I have the opportunity to grab a Melos Echo Chamber for AU$110. It does not have a tape cartridge with it and the seller has no idea whether is works or not. I've heard one before and it's no Space Echo, but it's still a really nice sounding tape delay.

Do you think $110 is a good price for this unit, considering I have no idea whether it works or not?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Melos Echo Chamber

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am

It would really depend on how hard it would be to get a tape for it. If you can get one cheaply and easily it could be a worthwhile gamble, but then it still might not work. But still it's not super cheap and you could just get an el capistan which sounds awesome and you know its gonna work, even though it costs more. There are a lot of things that can break in a tape delay, I personally would pass on it seeing as you're not blown away by the sound.

Jimmy
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Ensoniq Mirage, Korg M1, Yamaha RX11, Akai MPK61, Roland SP404SX, Novation Launchpad, YSL697Z, YTR6335, Ableton Live

Post by Jimmy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:30 pm

The tapes are the same as a Univox tape delay, which i have found for around $50.

I checked out that El Capistan, looks pretty good. It might be wiser for me to spend a bit more on something that will work and won't require any maintenance. Thanks!

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Maybe a new echo is the way to go then. I haven't found a vintage tape echo yet that doesn't require maintenance. That sure looks pretty sweet for the price.