Top Three Must-Have Anologs

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Top Three Must-Have Anologs

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:36 pm

I would mostly forgo the vintage synths if I was in your shoes. Maybe you can afford them now, but what about the upkeep? It's like getting a fancy sports car for free than not being able to pay a mechanic to maintain it.
The Moog Voyager is arguably much better built from a reliability perspective than a minimoog or memorymoog. I would go for a VoyagerXL and some additional moog gear like an MP201 and their ringmod pedal.
Also hard to ignore the current DSI stuff. Again why buy a 20-30 year old Prophet when you can get a new one?
There are also some very neat boxes that Waldorf has made over the years. Very knobby. And depending on the model, while it is a digital synth at its heart, quite a few of the Waldorf synths had fully analog filters. And nothing sounds like a wavetable synth, except another wavetable synth!
I would also want to sit on some of that cash and just chickenhawk CL and Ebay for something special.
Every now and then some major musician dumps their gear on Ebay (like NIN did a while ago) or some oddity shows up on CL entirely by chance. There is one guy for instance that has 3 or 4 Roland synth guitar setups that he is selling as a package for $3k. If I had that much I would buy it, sell the ones I dont like and keep the rest.
Last edited by calaverasgrande on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:17 am

Speaking of 2600 vs. M5, here's a video someone made featuring both synths:

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

Z wrote:Speaking of 2600 vs. M5, here's a video someone made featuring both synths:
Excellent - thank you for that. I'll refer to this video next time someone asks the inevitable question.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 am

M5

I particularly like when he smacks it around, not to mention the classic Star Trek connection...

:music:
Last edited by SquareWave on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

philip

Post by philip » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:12 am

Ok,my list-

Juno 106
CS 70m/80
Korg Trident/PS-3100,3300

(also there could be a minimoog if u don't mind)

lazerface
Gear: Tempest, JX3P, Pro-One, Roland Gaia, Monotribe
Band: Solaires

Post by lazerface » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:02 am

sweet jesus I want an M5 or 2600 now..thanks a lot

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:47 am

Hmmm if it were me the lust for a Matrix12 and MS20 would be tough to talk myself out of for sure , but the suggestions for modern analogs and even modular sound best .
DSI P08 , Moog Voyager and a small modular filter bank ( as there are clones for MS20,SEM,Polyvolks,etc ) with a EG and LFO or two would give you just about every flavor and be very flexible .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:18 pm

Hmmm... the M5 sounds remarkably dotcom-ish to me.

talynidmbloop

Post by talynidmbloop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:26 am

If modulars count, I'd build a massive massive WIARD modular and call it a day.

If modulars don't count here they are, with reasons:

1.Jupitar 8, hands down the most beautifull dreamy synth ever made.
2. Studio Electronics ATC-X QUAD
Studio Electronics ATC-X with all the filters. Two voltage controlled discrete analog oscillators. Three multiple stage envelope generators. Incredible sound quality. With MINI, S.E.M., 303 and 2600 Filters...
3. With those two, I wouldn't need a third so I'd go with one of my two for very different reasons:
A. korg ms-20 for my tastes it's my favorite bass synth(think dandy wharhols, the topless chick only used ms-10's and 20's).
B. I'd pick a waldorf Q+ but that is cheating, only analog filters, so I have to take a DSI poly keyboard, Its a true analog, complex enough to actually not bore me, and it covers stuff that the others can't, pluse I own one and love the sound so, moog shmoog, ATC has that covered anyway.

In all seriousness, I covet a large Wiard modular more than any other analog device in the world.

honorable mentions go to:

Arp 2600
and the Yahmaha CS-80(in fact I'd put that at three, but I'm not sure I could weave through it's madness like vangelis did).

talynidmbloop

Post by talynidmbloop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:47 am

ok lots of folks not following rules so here is me breaking the post rules:
t
Kyma(pacarana)
CS-80
Wiard modular

the arp 2600 needs crammed in there somewhere.

digital top three:

1. Kyma(pacarana)
2. The new Sonic Core Scope technology system
3. fizmo(for digital, yeah, I'd take it over any boring as h**l workstation, feel the fiz, taste the fiz, it tastes like ground up grimus and aged fine wine, it belongs in a digital conversation.

As for my previous post knock the ms korgs out, and DSI poly, put the CS-80 in there in fact here is the new analog list:

atc quad filter
cs-80
arp 2600

I did give the arp and cs honorable mentions but left them out, because, well I quite frankly wasn't thinking, at least I'm honest.

talynidmbloop

Post by talynidmbloop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:51 am

loungedumore wrote:Hmmm if it were me the lust for a Matrix12 and MS20 would be tough to talk myself out of for sure , but the suggestions for modern analogs and even modular sound best .
DSI P08 , Moog Voyager and a small modular filter bank ( as there are clones for MS20,SEM,Polyvolks,etc ) with a EG and LFO or two would give you just about every flavor and be very flexible .
e

unfortunately this is how debts are built and homes are lost, as we all think we will just buy an analog modular filterbank, and then be able to stop, but then there goes the wife, kids, the house, a kidney, all for that damn zero oscillator and one more temperature stable vco.

If I was able to stop at an analog filter bank with a cv to midi converter, I'd be a responsible human, who could carry out a simple plan, as it is, I'm selling kidneys.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:28 pm

I also really really hope that Doepfer makes a keyboard edition of the Dark Energy with buttons for the damn arp features. I pretty much gave up on the arp in my Dark Energy because I kept getting stuck in the wrong mode.
If they made that, I would consider it a must have.

I guess in a way the xoxbox has become somewhat of a must have. Even if you are not a big fan of the acid bass sound (and I am not) it fits in to so many setups. I use mine to not only sequence bass lines, but also convert din sync to midi clock for my Moog MP201.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:33 am

Not including modulars i would like.......these are the 3 keyboards for me (at the moment)