alesis micron & akai miniak

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
mizu
Gear: Casio MA-101 (going to buy a synth to replace that toy keyboard)
Yanagisawa Saxophone

alesis micron & akai miniak

Post by mizu » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:32 am

I'm looking into buying either the alesis micron or akai miniak. Its the first time for me to handle real hardware synths so I just can't figure some things out. Are both synths fully programmable? How many oscillators? Envelope? rating of how easy it is to program (out of 5)? and also note other things that are important. thanks ;)

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: alesis micron & akai miniak

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:41 am

download & RTFMs. i'd give 'em both a big fat 2 outta 5 for you.

mizu
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:59 am

ok?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 am

it means you are asking questions you could find the answers to in those synthesizers' manuals.

wertpog

Post by wertpog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:23 am

I bought a Miniak on a whim when they reduced the price. It sounds ok I suppose, but it has to be the most poorly designed piece of c**p I ever came across, programming it is a nightmare. I don't mind a bit of menu diving (actually quite like it, on the right synth), but the way things are laid out is just awful. 2/5 is too generous!

I say it sounds ok, but really it's not that great. The vocoder is terrible, and it has an overall plasticy sound that I just didn't care for. I suppose if you're using a computer to edit it, you may have more fun.

If I were you, I'd look at something with a slightly friendlier interface to start with. The older novation stuff is ok in this regard.
http://modularsamples.com - (public domain samples of classic synths)

mizu
Yanagisawa Saxophone

Post by mizu » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:27 am

wertpog wrote:I bought a Miniak on a whim when they reduced the price. It sounds ok I suppose, but it has to be the most poorly designed piece of c**p I ever came across, programming it is a nightmare. I don't mind a bit of menu diving (actually quite like it, on the right synth), but the way things are laid out is just awful. 2/5 is too generous!

I say it sounds ok, but really it's not that great. The vocoder is terrible, and it has an overall plasticy sound that I just didn't care for. I suppose if you're using a computer to edit it, you may have more fun.

If I were you, I'd look at something with a slightly friendlier interface to start with. The older novation stuff is ok in this regard.
hard to program eh?
thats going to take out of my list of things to buy....

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am

On the other hand, I have a Micron and I love it. It's a very versatile synth locked away in a compact package. No, it's not as immediate as something with a lot of knobs, but it is very capable. Definitely not a beginner's synth or something for instant gratification. They do have their own character sound, too. I don't know that you'd say "good" or "bad", but definitely unique. I've seen them go stupid cheap, too. There is a lot of synth in that box for approx. 200 bones.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:02 pm

since nobody's specifically mentioned it yet,

both are exactly the same synth, just with different packaging and layout

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:02 pm

That and the miniak has mod wheels instead of the two mod sliders.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:26 pm

As other said ... It/they are very unfriendly synth(s) to program . Sound is awesome for VA... IMHO , but unless you want to be tied to an editor on the computer then not the greatest first synth :/

If you don't care about polyphony then look in to the MFB Nanozwerg and a cheap midi controller
You will need to find a US (if you are in it ) PSU , but there are threads on that here .
If you need to play cords look at the Korg MS-2000R or JP8000 maybe I don't think they sound quite as good as the ION engine that the Miniak/Micron have but they are not bad and have way more knobs .... could look for an ION too , but they seam to hover in the just sub of 600.00 mark more often than not .

I would say all the stuff out there , these are as hands on subtractive as you can get for in the price range .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 am

I really wouldn't recommend either of these models to a beginner. I have a Micron, and it's very complicated to program. If you don't know anything about subtractive synthesis, I would imagine it would be a nighmare to learn on.

If you've heard demos of either, and like that sound, buy an Alesis Ion. You will find that to be much easier to learn synthesis on. If you're tied to a $400 budget, I don't think the Korg MicroKORG would be a bad choice. I have never used one before, but it looks like it would be much easier to program then either the Miniak or Micron.

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:40 am

I've always found the micron a breeze to program.
For a beginner it may be a bit daunting though.

Once you get a handle on all the shortcuts the left to right signal flow through oscillators, filter, amps, LFO's etc... is quite logical - a great little piece of UI design.
I've said it before though - I don't know why they gave it 3 knobs - 4 would be perfect - ADSR, cutoff+res x 2, LFO rate+depth x 2 etc... could all be instantly recallable and mapped to the four knobs to make things even easier to program.

anyhow, I found the micron/miniak a lot easier and more inviting to program than the microkorg (a lot more, and better, sound possibilities with the micron as well).

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 am

i really like my miniak. just don't rush yourself programming it. it takes some pushing and turning for sure! but i find it works well for my music. bad screen though. way to small. paid $200 used in mint condition. saw one sell for $185 on ebay today!