rackmount rompler for orchestral and acoustic

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

rackmount rompler for orchestral and acoustic

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:53 am

I'm in the market for an affordable rack mountable rompler with decent acoustic and orchestral sound sets. I'm looking to spend some where between 100 and 250 American dollars. I don't necessarily require stunningly accurate samples and will over look a little bit of cheesiness if the price is low enough. Also I don't plan on doing much patch creation with this unit and would be perfectly happy with "a box of sounds." Any recommendations?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: rackmount rompler for orchestral and acoustic

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:03 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:I'm in the market for an affordable rack mountable rompler with decent acoustic and orchestral sound sets. I'm looking to spend some where between 100 and 250 American dollars. I don't necessarily require stunningly accurate samples and will over look a little bit of cheesiness if the price is low enough. Also I don't plan on doing much patch creation with this unit and would be perfectly happy with "a box of sounds." Any recommendations?
Emu Proteus 2000?

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:35 am

You might be able to grab a Roland JV-1080 with the Orchestral Expansion card (SR-JV80-2) close to your upper cash limit.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:47 pm

For about $300, you might get a Kurzweil K2000r.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Yep, I use my JV-1080 pretty much exactly as you described. I've got the Orchestral II card (among others, though I haven't had Orchestral I, so I can't say how it compares) which I quite like.

Looks like the 1080's have come down quite a bit since I got mine. A quick look on Ebay completed listings shows several selling for $150 or less. Don't know if the expansion cards have decreased proportionally (a few years ago they were running $75-$150 depending on desirability/perceived rarity), but even if not, it looks like you could still fit synth + one expansion card into your budget.
Last edited by pricklyrobot on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I've tried many Romplers, and the only answer I was ever happy with was the Roland JV/XP/XV series. The 1010 is good for just dialing in a preset, but editing is pretty easy on the 1080 because you'll likely want to dial back the tacky reverb/delay they slather over everything.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

SquareWave
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Korg Kronos X, Access Virus Ti2, Moog Sub37, Arturia Matrixbrute, DSI Tempest, Akai MPC, Hypersynth Xenophone, Roland D550

Post by SquareWave » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:21 am

Gear-wise, I've been out of the loop for a good 10-15 years, but this thread got me looking at some of the early 2000's Roland gear. I have always been partial to Roland mostly because of the D-50 - my favorite synth. I am rather impressed with some of the older rack-mount Roland stuff - particularly the JV and XV units. Wow! Sadly, a perusal of the current Roland gear is completely devoid on rack-mount modules of this quality...

How/why did this market completely die???

:read:
"As welcome as a shite in yer spacesuit." - Crow, 2007

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 am

Any opinions of the jv 880, ultra proteus, or sound canvases? Also thanks for all the great replies.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:46 am

JV-880 is cool, but the 1080 is only getting cheaper and it's got more cool things inside.
soundcloud.com/vectron

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:58 pm

I have an XP-30, which is just a JV1080. You can plink around on it if you're still coming by next week, so you can get an idea.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:02 pm

The Roland JV series had some units put in rack alone, like the M-VS1 for the Vintage card, so you might find a M-SE1 (Strings Ensemble) or M-OC1 (Orchestra) for 100-150$ if you're lucky. They're usually cheap, but simply don't come up often...

Otherwise, you might try the Roland U-220, which has some nice sound cards (Orchestral winds, brass, etc.) to complement the basic sounds. For all I've read on the internet, the U-110 might not be that much of a good deal (unless there's a lot of cards included in the deal).
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-DSI Mopho

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Well this is kind of out of the blue, but I ultimately decided on the ultra proteus due to its ability to do wave/rom indexing, low cost, and the inclusion of the proteus 2 orchestral rom. In short disregard the statement I made about not wanting to do any patch creation. In retrospect I should have stated that cheesy samples were fine and that I basically wanted something to mangle with outboard effects. I know its hard to edit, but I figured out how to use a freaking akai s2000, so I think I'll be ok. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, even If I basically ignored them.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:43 pm

IMO you went with the best option, the Ultra Proteus. Their orchestral sounds are great in a not quite real way.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm

madtheory wrote:IMO you went with the best option, the Ultra Proteus. Their orchestral sounds are great in a not quite real way.
Good to hear. Also seal's demo of the morpheus were enough to make me decide.

MitchXI

Post by MitchXI » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:43 pm

For a lot of the sounds from the MYST soundtrack, Robyn Miller used a proteus mps +, with the same Proteus 2 sounds. I liked that soundtrack. I like the Proteus 2 sounds.