Consolidate?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Consolidate?

Post by Umbe78 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 am

Hi,
I am thinking to sell my Jupiter4 because I'm tired of near every year bringing him to maintenance...
Obviously I would spend the money in other synths and I am thinking at various choices
1) sell JP4 and virus snow and buy virus polar
2) sell JP4 and buy a prophet 08 ... Maybe selling also my JX3P to get extra money
3) sell JP4 and mono evolver and buy poly evolver
4) other?

Thanx for any advice

My rig is described at right.
just one of us

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Consolidate?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:41 pm

I'm very much into having as little gear as possible mainly because I'm a hobbyist and both money and space are issues. I've owned vintage analogs but I have sold them all over the years for modern stuff which gave me more for my money. I still have analog, though...a desktop/rack Evolver rig.

Ask yourself this:

-- How much do you use the JP4? Is it central to what you do or just used as frosting? How close can your other synths (esp. JX3p and MEK) get to it's sound?

-- How important is owning a vintage synth to you?

As far as your choices:

-- TI Polar: How much do you use the Snow? How often do you run out of voices or multitimbral parts? Do you hate programming it because of the lack of knobs? Do you need the keys (TI desktop is cheaper)?

-- Prophet/PolyEVO: How much do you use your MEK? Would you miss the digital parts (OSC3/4, HPF, delays) if you got the Prophet?

HINT: there is a PolyEVO Rack for sale here at VSE for $1100 right now...much cheaper than the keyboard and can be slaved to your MEK for programming and 5-voice poly. You could sell the JP4 and have money left over.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 pm

another good use of the money could be to get the KiwiTechnics updgrade for the JX3P, maybe the patch editor too

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Post by Umbe78 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 am

nice idea about kiwiupgrade... I have to check it out..

I try to answer all questions, meatballfulton ;)

now I don't use JP4 anymore because I don't have the space and it's at my parents house ... I don't think I'll miss it.
It's different with JX3P... I also thought I can sell both to buy a JP6 .. but maybe I'll miss the jx sound

I really love the evolver and I would sell only to buy a polyevolver or add a polyevolver rack like you suggested...
It's not a prophet OR evolver ... I 'd add Prophet 08 but I'll have a space issue .. (too many keys , having to sell jx3p)

ti polar ... i hate snow interface, but for me 4 parts are enough , few times I run out of voices... keyboard version would be nice but ... space issue!

To tell the truth, I use often all that I mentioned (evolver,snow,jx3p).... it's elektron I don't use so often, do I have to sell those?
just one of us