1st interface---Apogee One?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Harp3
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Telecaster, various fx pedals

1st interface---Apogee One?

Post by Harp3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking to start recording my music at home and was thinking about getting the Apogee One. Anybody have any experience with these? Or would you recommend a better interface for around the same price? I have a Macbook Pro, using Garageband, and would probably only need one input(since it's just me)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: 1st interface---Apogee One?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:17 am

Harp3 wrote:Or would you recommend a better interface for around the same price?
There isn't any. The One is really good, if you don't need more inputs there isn't anything better on the market. A friend of mine who runs a studio and tries out a lot of different gear has one and raves about how good it is. He's even used the internal mic for vocal recording and was impressed with how good it sounds.

Harp3

Post by Harp3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Cool, thanks, I think I'm gonna pick it up

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 am

I have the Roland Audio interface that is one input and it works great in garageband. I paid less than $35 for it, I was think about an Apogee one at the time and settle for that just to see how I would like a very minimal setup.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:41 am

The Apogee One is really good, especially if one input is enough. I've also heard the microphone is quite excellent. However, if you do need more inputs, Echo makes a good product.
bonne chance

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi, I'm looking for my first interface and would need your help. My first question makes me feel dumb but I can't understand so, since many synths are stereo, with two cables, how come many interfaces have only one input per channel?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:18 pm

Mr. DiSco wrote:Hi, I'm looking for my first interface and would need your help. My first question makes me feel dumb but I can't understand so, since many synths are stereo, with two cables, how come many interfaces have only one input per channel?
You can't have more than one input per channel, you need to use two channels/inputs to record stereo.

Harp3

Post by Harp3 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Mr Disco raises an interesting question. I had originally planned on mic'ing my tube amp and recording directly, hence the need for one input. However, I didn't consider recording in stereo. Is there an advantage, or is it just personal preference?

Harp3

Post by Harp3 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 pm

Also, is firewire the way to go? It seems like people experience latency issues with usb, and the Apogee one is usb(albeit with mostly positive reviews)

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:41 pm

You won't find anything that good with two channels at that price. Firewire and USB are both good, it depends on the drivers. RME USB drivers are amazing these days, although generally Firewire is preferable for sustained throughput. That said you're not getting anywhere close to the limits of either with just one or two streams of audio.

USB has the advantage of possibly having more longevity as Firewire gets phased out for things like Thunderbolt. That's worth considering if you think you can predict the future. :D

Re: recording in stereo, there are advantages for sure. I will often record guitar amps with two mics on the same amp, one dynamic and one condenser. I can then pan them left and right for a wider sound. You're probably better off sticking to mono to begin with though, get one good mic instead of two crappy ones, get an interface with fewer inputs but better quality etc. You'll save money in the long run if you spend a little more to begin with and then don't have to upgrade.

Mr. DiSco

Post by Mr. DiSco » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:47 pm

So if I'm searching for a 4 inputs (two stereo sounds) usb interface that has good sound quality (one I wouldn't have to upgrade from as Stab said) to get the sound to my recent Macbook Pro (I believe it only has to bring the sound... no other controls needed) what would you guys recommend?

Oh and also a some outs and basic midi would be nice. :D