concrete two doubts about Electribe ES-1

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
moog-lover

concrete two doubts about Electribe ES-1

Post by moog-lover » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:04 am

I'm finally about to buy an Electribe ES-1 but I'd really like to be very sure about this two points before, that you probably know something... besides the SMC, I'm very interested in using it as midi hardware sequencer.

1) Trigger samples from Impulse (for example), sequenced by the Electribe.
Midi message for Solo/mute parts.
Could you also record a midi track played by the Electribe?

2) Use the knobs as assignable midi-controllers for each Part, as to control Ableton's effect for each sample.

PD: I read that it point 1 was possible, but 2) not, and I found an .oxm file as to make knobs midi-assignable but not sending different data for each "part".

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Re: concrete two doubts about Electribe ES-1

Post by cryabetes » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:25 pm

1- each of the parts of the electribe has an assignable note-on value
- it will indeed do this
- yep, can do that too.

2- don't think you can do this, but maybe; You'd probably be more able to use them, that is, to use the CC values that the ES1 inherently uses and reassign what the destination parameter (on say, the effects box you're controlling) is looking for. Can definitely run into problems this way too.

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:36 pm

thanks!

1. i heard that the electribe doesn't send Mute message, because it mutes internally. it just doesn't trigger that part you're mutting. so in Impulse you wouldn't see that part muted. am i wrong?

2. So definately, there is no patch made for this purpose?

pd. There is a patch where you can just make electribe's knobs into global midi controllers..so i'll have to manage making some group effects or something like this..

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:19 pm

moog-lover wrote:thanks!

1. i heard that the electribe doesn't send Mute message, because it mutes internally. it just doesn't trigger that part you're mutting. so in Impulse you wouldn't see that part muted. am i wrong?
I will double check this tonight with my ER-1 and get back to you. It doesn't make sense that they'd leave that out, but then again, it wouldn't be the first puzzling "feature" of an electribe that i've come across.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 pm

moog-lover wrote:thanks!

There is no such thing as a midi mute msg. It is probably set up in your software as a normal CC msg (i.e. 0 for mute, not 0 for un-mute). I dont remember the details of the electribe midi but any button that sends an on/off type CC message should be able to be used for this

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I appreciate your answers but i want to be sure about this two things firstly.
I saw this software: http://nay-seven.com/Kergos-1.htm

that traduces NRPN messages into CC apparently but I don't know how it works.
so you would have a different CC (as to asign in a Live parameter) for every knob on every part ?