1st Mooger?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Harp3
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Telecaster, various fx pedals

1st Mooger?

Post by Harp3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:58 am

Hey everybody!

I am the proud new owner of the Moog Little Phatty. Well, I will be in about a week. My question is, is there a quintessential Moogerfooger pedal? What should I get first? I know people will say it depends on what type of music you make, or what type of effect you want, but i'm curious, what was your 1st Mooger? And, what would you recommend as a 1st Mooger?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: 1st Mooger?

Post by Solderman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:06 am

MF-102 ringmod. Would recommend it as a first too. It also acts as a Tremolo, an extra triangle wave if you attenuate the CV just right, and one extra LFO.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 am

+1, my favorite of the lot.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:08 am

Harp3 wrote:Hey everybody!

I am the proud new owner of the Moog Little Phatty. Well, I will be in about a week. My question is, is there a quintessential Moogerfooger pedal? What should I get first? I know people will say it depends on what type of music you make, or what type of effect you want, but i'm curious, what was your 1st Mooger? And, what would you recommend as a 1st Mooger?
The delay is pretty cool, but it's also pretty expensive. That was my first and only fooger.

The Phaser and Midi Murf look pretty awesome to me as well though, especially now that you can edit the MM patterns.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 am

I would suggest all of them, lol

Anyway, the two you should get first, in my opinion, is the low pass filter and the delay. These are the two I use the most. I get the most out of the LPF and the delay just goes with everything.

I probably should use the Ring Mod more than I do, as it is a very flexible, powerful effects module. I really enjoy the combination of Ring Mod+Delay...

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:21 pm

my suggestion is the LPF or the Midi MuRF. of course, if you wanted to save some dollars and go with a regular MuRF i think I saw one in the Gear for Sale forum. Can always use more filters imo.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:21 pm

I'd never really looked into the ring mod until this thread. Looks surprisingly well endowed for what is usually a simple effect! Someone on MW pointed out that the mooger ring mod combines several modular-style elements into a convenient box. Maybe it's redundant if you already have a modular, but very convenient if you don't!
Do you even post on vse bro?

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Harp3 wrote:Moogerfooger pedal? What should I get first? ?
don't get a pedal - get the CP-251 to start

1 - it will make your phatty twice the synth it is already...it enables you to do everything the phatty isn't able to do but every great monosynth should, apart from ring-mod:. For example being able to use both sync,PWM and FM w/ simultaneous vibrato makes for far more expressive leads. Your palette of crazy FX sounds multiplies by 3 or 4. The noise sounds much more authentic than the digital-noise inside the LP(which isn't really a sound at all, just a mod-source).
2 - it's a steal for what it offers: LFO, polarizing mixer,analog Sample&Hold, multiple, trigger out, slew and 2 attenuators for less $ than some of the other 'foogers that only do one thing
3 - you can use it with all your other CV gear and never grow tired of it. it is tempting to just get sound-producing FX and overlook how very important basic CV utilities are to realizing your musical ideas.

after the CP-251 then try the ringmod

the delay is damn nice but unless you NEED it's specific options you can do just as well with a <$200 BBD instead (malekko, mxr etc)
ditto for the phaser
some people get fixated on the 'all Moog' pedal/modifier setup - a temptation to be sure; but to limit yourself to this and exclude so many other flavors/possibilities is a mistake. Moog's just one port on the vast sea of gear.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:49 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
Harp3 wrote:Moogerfooger pedal? What should I get first? ?
don't get a pedal - get the CP-251 to start

1 - it will make your phatty twice the synth it is already...it enables you to do everything the phatty isn't able to do but every great monosynth should, apart from ring-mod:. For example being able to use both sync,PWM and FM w/ simultaneous vibrato makes for far more expressive leads. Your palette of crazy FX sounds multiplies by 3 or 4. The noise sounds much more authentic than the digital-noise inside the LP(which isn't really a sound at all, just a mod-source).
2 - it's a steal for what it offers: LFO, polarizing mixer,analog Sample&Hold, multiple, trigger out, slew and 2 attenuators for less $ than some of the other 'foogers that only do one thing
3 - you can use it with all your other CV gear and never grow tired of it. it is tempting to just get sound-producing FX and overlook how very important basic CV utilities are to realizing your musical ideas.

after the CP-251 then try the ringmod

the delay is damn nice but unless you NEED it's specific options you can do just as well with a <$200 BBD instead (malekko, mxr etc)
ditto for the phaser
some people get fixated on the 'all Moog' pedal/modifier setup - a temptation to be sure; but to limit yourself to this and exclude so many other flavors/possibilities is a mistake. Moog's just one port on the vast sea of gear.

This is very true. I would suggest that you listen to this piece of advice. Even though I do like Moog products a lot, it is very wise to keep in mind other options, as you may look past something.

Omniant
Gear: V Synth, Little Phatty, Nord Lead 2, MO 6, Ultranova, VST's
Band: Novelectro

Post by Omniant » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Wanted to revive this thread as I just purchased an LP.

I'm primarily using my LP for bass, although I do some lead stuff with it as well. I think the primary thing I want to do is be able to control filter cutoff with my foot. I've used the fooger LPF previously as an effect for an electric bass but I'm wondering if I even need to purchase the LPF with the LP. Does it make sense to do this or should I just use an expression pedal from the Filter CV on the LP?

I'm playing a lot of house/trance/d n b so I really want to sweep the filter a lot.

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Omniant wrote:Wanted to revive this thread as I just purchased an LP.

I'm primarily using my LP for bass, although I do some lead stuff with it as well. I think the primary thing I want to do is be able to control filter cutoff with my foot. I've used the fooger LPF previously as an effect for an electric bass but I'm wondering if I even need to purchase the LPF with the LP. Does it make sense to do this or should I just use an expression pedal from the Filter CV on the LP?

I'm playing a lot of house/trance/d n b so I really want to sweep the filter a lot.
Expression pedal into filter CV should do you fine - the LP is pretty much built around having a low pass filter, so to buy an external one (especially when it's designed to be the same filter) would be reduntant.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I love the midi MuRF. I had the delay for a short bit, but could not justify the cost at the time.

A 2nd LPF is not redundant, but would be less immediately useful than the other foogers. Two LPF being modulated differently in series is quite nice, two resonance peaks, envelope follower on the fooger, ect.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 am

My first was the Bass MuRF, and that's a better start than the Freq Box, which is the only one I have now.
Bassist, synth junkie

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by phesago » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:05 am

The midi/bass murf is fantastic. Especially good with bass and sweeps.

The 107 is the only fooger I still have two of. I use 1 as a sound source, and the other as an effect. Not to mention it was worth having the 2nd One due to the OSC out. I still wish I had an envelope generator to use with the foogers, especially the 107, as when I use it ad a sound source, the gritty fuzzy burst is too short to use it in too many instances. Being able to make the release/decay longer would be wonderfully useful.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 pm

I've tried them all and the ring mod is super musical and the only one I still own. For me, I love running drums through it and getting some great tonal additions, triggered by the lfo section. The freq box is interesting but damn it gets distorted really quick. The main thing I love about all the foogers is the analog distortion capabilities. It makes the signal break up in this fantastic warm way.
soundcloud.com/lvoe