Good master compressor for my setup...

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
NovationLover
Gear: Novation KS Rack, Yamaha RM1x, Behringer UBB1002, Cubase 4.
Band: Dj Uber

Good master compressor for my setup...

Post by NovationLover » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi! :)
I'm searching a good compressor to put between my soundcard and my mixer. I have a KS Rack and a RM1x connected to the mixer. I make Hardcore and Trance music.
What is the best compressor for this use in the 200$ range?

Thanks, Giacomo. :D
Last edited by NovationLover on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TECHNO-TRANCE-GOA FROM ITALY

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
:D
My Soundcloud

georgemarauder

Re: Good master compressor for my setup...

Post by georgemarauder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:31 pm

Vintage Ashly and Orban compressors are good for the money, but probably cost a bit more than $200 now. You can pick up an Ashly SC-50 for $150-300. It's a mono compressor though, if that matters. The stereo version I had and sold a few years back for $600. They are great compressors though and worth the money. The DBX 166 is also pretty good, but haven't tried the 166XL.

NovationLover

Post by NovationLover » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 am

Thanks! It seems that the dbx 166 is what i'm looking for :D .
What other outboards should i buy to have a all-hardware mastering rack? Maybe a graphic eq?

Thanks, Giacomo. :)

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
My Soundcloud

NovationLover

Post by NovationLover » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:42 am

Maybe a TC Electronic Finalizer Express? :D

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
My Soundcloud

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:19 am

With the budget you've got (pretty much nothing) you're much better off using software than hardware. A 166XL is something which is usable in a live situation but not really the kind of thing you want all over your tracks. And using a graphic EQ (unless it's something like an API 560 or something else with proportional Q) on your finished tracks is a very bad idea. Graphics are primarily designed for room correction, not for 'mastering'.

Save a little bit more and get some decent software like the McDSP ML4000 and Compressorbank, those will actually be good sounding tools for you to use.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 am

Yes, I second Stabs response, the DBX will not be what you want - for typical mastering applications the good gear costs serious dollars.

My advice, go with software for now and make yourself familiar with the Gearslutz mastering forum and possibly save up for something more appropriate.

That, or get someone tech minded to build you a GSSL. :)

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:02 pm

+1 on software compression, there is some great stuff out there.

For cheap hardware the Art Pro VLA II optical compressor is both loved and hated, depends on your use and what thread you are in. I have one and its pretty good although the use has been limited, and admittedly the software probably does just as good/better a lot of the time.

it's not what i'd buy with a big budget but for the cash I think it's pretty nice.

NovationLover

Post by NovationLover » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Oh nice! this is exacly what i'm searching! Thanks to all! :D

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
My Soundcloud

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:06 pm

Do you guys think it is more important to get the monitors before getting the hardware/software.

Personally after getting started in software....I like hardware outside the box first...and then once in the DAW, use software tools and plugins to tighten up issues that arise here and there.

With dedicated hardware you feel the difference a bit better...but that could be because I started out using plugins before I got my dedicated tools.

Xores
Gear: Fantom x6; Korg ESX; Vermona mk II Radias; Jp-8000; Monotron; Virus B; Doepfer A-100
Band: ïnjectiön, Xores

Post by Xores » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Do you guys think it is more important to get the monitors before getting the hardware/software.
Of course!!!
Reference Monitors will help you hearing exactly what you are producing in the Pc/Mac. Any monitor will not do because they modify "colour" the frecuencies( f.e. because of the construction). That way you will not be able to Listen/equalize precisely the sounds you are recording. If you are not aware of what this means, you should learn about it! you will not regret!!

About hard/software I think exactly as you do but I am getting surprised day after day so keep your mind open... Of course HArdware sounds different... And analog hardware sounds thick and dense, just fat!!! But talking of analog stuff, it is expensive and not so easy to control like software and you will not be able to store your sounds like you can on a digital synth, or an analog emulating, analog digytal hybrid, or on the software...keep that in mind!
I addition to that I want to say two more things:
Maybe you are not even looking for the Analog sound, there are sounds that are just done Digitally(and the way around) I saw you make trance, so there will still be a strong digital influence in many of your sounds!
The other thing is that good Software syths are surprisingly nice sounding, and with the right equipment( hard and/or software) you can get really excelent results, so its finally up to you and how you deal with your stuff!!!

Finally and returning to the thread´s theme :roll: I think it is all said...
Mastering HArdware is expensive and software can surely spare you some money...
If you want to make it pro you will need a multiband compressor, and yes, they are expensive!!
If you dont care that much, get a good compressor, a drawmer for example, and go along with that

NovationLover

Post by NovationLover » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks to all for your help!! :)

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
My Soundcloud