Poly-800 vs. Roland D-50

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
negativ

Poly-800 vs. Roland D-50

Post by negativ » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:53 am

Yeah, you can already tell by the title that I'm a cheapass. :D

Well, I'm looking at purchasing either the Poly-800, which is selling from around $150-$250, or the Roland D-50, which is somewhere from $250-$500. I play electronic ambient music, and my performance is usually based around a few repeating patterns, usually sequenced by my Korg ES-1, but I'd like to moved towards more advanced, realtime sequencing of melody. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I should get the Poly-800, generally regarded as an inferior synth, and save my money for a Nanoverb, or purchase a D-50 and use a cheap MIDI sequencer like the MMT-8 to sequence it.
I understand that linear synthesis and analog synthesis are very different beasts, but I'm looking for the synthesizer with the widest tonal range relative to its price.

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Re: Poly-800 vs. Roland D-50

Post by Nannerfan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:01 am

Ambient music?? D-50 handsdown... one of the best ambient synths ever made.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:28 pm

Agreed---D-50, no question.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Phenom

Post by Phenom » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:25 pm

not a huge fan of the D50 here, couldn't you pick up a Wavestation for about the same money?

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:27 pm

i've owned both and i'd go for the d50. i loved my poly 800, had a lot of cool features - sequencer, joystick, keyboard hold etc- but a vast tonal palette was definitely not one of them.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:57 am

Phenom wrote:not a huge fan of the D50 here, couldn't you pick up a Wavestation for about the same money?
D-50 BIG TIME!

have a D-50 (second one I bought!) and had a wavestation, the station looks cool on paper but is so dry, yes it 'evolves' and is very clever blah blah but it doesn't have much personality and can be done in software so easily (in fact the VST is better due to better filters). D-50 has a unique character not in it's 'clever spec' but in it's raw sound.

as for Poly 800? no way! horrible thing with shared filter not per voice, toy like build and limited sounds - if you want a korg analogish thing look at DW-8000 instead which you can find for similar price to D-50. You'd have to chose your weapon between DW and D-50 as they are different sounds for different occasions and I really like both! :)

Poly 800 though? no you can do better than that with these other synths out there.

Oh and the SY77 is an absolute STEAL often going for less than the synths mentioned here, believe me it's a very deep synth and some of the ambient/atmospheric AFM pads it puts out are still blowing my mind and used in my music a lot. Not the most fun to program sure but it's easily the most powerful and can do anything from analog ish leads/basses to fat pads and ambient evolving noises/washes (like wavesation but more alive due to FM and not relying on PCM!!) fact :) Also has much better filter than wavestation, and has cleaner output than D-50 but not as warm. SY77 will always stay with me.

Also SY77 won't let you down re midi sequencing, it's tight and punchy! and has the largest variety of sounds from any of the synths above, easily. And the D-50 can have midi problems, not always tight/fast - better as a player's board that one :)