Looking for bassy synth

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
cgren72

Re: Looking for bassy synth

Post by cgren72 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:33 pm

novation bass station is another name

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 am

Don't judge the MoPho by the desktop version alone. Until you play the MoPho keyboard, you haven't really tried a MoPho, imo.
Bassist, synth junkie

ribafish

Post by ribafish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Well...the sounds are the same, aren't they? It doesn't matter now, as I have the Ion watching me from my table=) Got it for 300€....and for that money I think it's great to learn on. It feels and sounds solid+it won't loose much value.

condit79
Gear: 5U modular/STG/.com, Mopho, Sixtrak, Sprocket, xoxbox, juno 6, ESQ1, SY35, Ipad
Band: lvoe

Post by condit79 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:10 am

Well, the Mopho desktop and keyboard sound the same but the difference is, if the sound is lacking in some way (a lot of the factory patches need tweaking to really shine) you can easily dial them in. I've gone through tons of numerous different synths over this last year and the mopho keyboard is the only one that's made it through multiple buy/sell situations. The size is awesome for travel, the keys are amazing and the aftertouch is a huge bonus. I think really you'll have a hard time judging a synth via presets unless you're trying a synth out that has some presets that a musician has spent some time tweaking. I think that now that I've had my mopho for 6 months I'm really starting to understand synthesis so much more and the Soundtower computer editor actually was kind of helpful for me as I'm a visual learner and seeing the envelopes helped me understand what was going on when I was turning knobs.

The Ion is a great board and I think I'm going to get one to compliment my mopho, but wouldn't consider being without my mopho at this point. It's a pretty versatile bass/lead synth and I can't say enough about the build quality. I regularly also just toss it in a laptop bag and take it on the road when I'm going to visit family and want something small to mess around on at night to help me fall asleep and having a smaller board to bring around that's built like a tank is something to consider in your search for a synth.
soundcloud.com/lvoe