What affordable analogue poly synths are out there?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, VP-330, Prophet 600, Pro-One, CS-30, Polysix, MonoPoly, MaxiKorg, Opus 3, Machinedrum
Band: Lunar Modular

What affordable analogue poly synths are out there?

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:31 pm

I have a korg MS-10 and Yamaha CS-5, i also bought a Doepfer Dark Energy last night so i have all the mono synths i need!

for my next buy i am looking for a poly synth.

desktop or keyboard is good, it has to be fully programmable!

my budget is around the £500-£800 mark.

any advice on some good polys?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Re: What affordable analogue poly synths are out there?

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:54 pm

Prophet 600?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:44 pm

P-600 and Chroma Polaris come to mind if you want dual VCOs per voice analog with knobs. AX-60 and Polysix for single VCO.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:46 pm

+1 for Akai AX60 - powerful single oscillator synth with more features than most synths in its price range.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 pm

I can vouch for the Akai AX-60 (a.$350) single VCO with lots of bells and whistles for the price. Crazy filter for some unique sounds. but can do most of the basics with a little care.

And the Prophet 600 (a.$900) dual VCO with just the basics. Dark yet ballsy sound.

Some people like the Roland Alpha Juno 1 or 2 (a.$200). I find it cold and limited. The SM-57 of polysynths.

I think the Roland JX3P looks neat and I might be getting one soon (a.$300)

The Akai AX80 should be mentioned too... they seem to be coming down in price... demos seem to flatter them.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy

Post by themilford » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm

s**t... yr in the UK. Akais seem to be scarce there.

Maybe stick with Roland.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:54 pm

Next to the AX-60, the Korg DW-8000/EX-8000 are really affordable but fat analog polys. Perhaps a DW-6000 would get you by.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Why go analog when you can go virtual analog and get way more features and bang for your buck? I'm starting to sound like a broken record because this is what I tell everyone who is looking for a new synth, especially poly-synths. The virtual analogs blow most over-priced analog poly-synths out of the water feature-wise. For example, the Oberheim OB-12 has essentially the same functionality as a Jupiter 8, plus even more bells and whistles, yet sells for $5-6000 less. It's a no-brainer. Alesis Ions and Korg MS2000s have great functionality too and endless amounts of features. Whereas those old analog polys are overpriced for what they are simply because they're analog.

Remember, if it sounds good, it IS good, and the VA synths sound great.

If you absolutely must get an analog for some reason, at least get the Rolls Royce of analog synthesizers, the Roland Super JX-10. When you open the body on that beast you expect the insides to be encased in gold. It was a top of the line professional synth back in the day. The sound is great, it's not overpriced (yet), and it has nice functionality for an older synth. I would still recommend a VA over it, though.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Big shout out to the Kawai SX-240!
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 pm

"Affordable" and "analogue poly" does not compute!

I would go with a VA also. There is really no difference in the quality of the sound, it's cheaper, more reliable and more flexible. Alesis Ion, Novation K station, Nord Lead 3 are all great IMO. Great sound, easy to use, fun.

But if you really want analogue, the Crumar Bits (DCO) are worth a try, fairly oddball. No yet overpriced, but getting there. I note that almost all of the synths already recommended are DCO based... how "analogue" do you want it? Especially given the mythology around VCO vs DCO. The biggest fattest poly I ever heard was a Synthex (blew away everything else on the Jarre tour, even the Memorymoog). The biggest fattest single oscillator synth I ever used was a System 100m.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

Don't forget the most capable inexpensive PolySynth. The Oberheim Matrix 6/6R/Matrix 1000. Only one drawback: completely programmable but no knobs.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

themilford

Post by themilford » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Big shout out to the Kawai SX-240!
The 210 looks pretty cool too... but aren't these both pretty rare?

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm

big ups anytime there's a kawai sx-210, sx-240 mention. unfortunately the populace seems to think they're laced with solid gold. ugh.
If you need analog poly and can't afford VCO's, I say go with the cheapest one you can nab. oberheim matrix 6. juno-106. alpha juno 1 or 2. jx-3p. jx-8p (my favorite atm). dw-8000. heck a poly-800 or poly-61 would probably do the trick.

jx-8p or jx-10 probably gets the gnarliest sound out of all of them though. next best thing is anything with cem filters. Best all around usable sound is probably a matrix 6 or matrix 1000.

i want a kawai sx-240...... shoulda bought the one I found for $450 a few months back..... ugh.

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Take a look at what the Kiwitechnics Patch Editor is compatible with, any of those plus the PE (or even a BCR-2000 really) would probably be sweet, I personally have been lusting towards an MKS-70 and a PE. On a similar note, JX-3P + Kiwitechnics upgrade seems insane.

No one ever really talks about the Siel DK600, DK700 and Opera 6, but it seems like they're right in there too. No experience with them myself though.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:04 am

Korg polysix. Should find a nice one in your price range.
Siel DK-600. Little harder to find.
Akai AX-60. May be difficult to find in the UK.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome