Cheap alternatives to VOX or FARFISA?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: Cheap alternatives to VOX or FARFISA?

Post by themilford » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Ace Tone Top 5

Had one of these... sounded great... not quite as bright as a Farfisa... But a cheap EQ pedal could easily fix that.

Check out this vid... you can hear the brighter sounds halfway through.

Can be had for pretty cheap.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Original Blue Rodeo keyboardist Bobby Wiseman used a Top 5 with the group. As I remember it he bought it because it was the cheapest thing he could find at the time.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:04 pm

These sounds are not like analogue synths. They're almost all one divided oscillator per octave, which is super easy to synthesize. Synths like the Casio CZ and Korg DWs do a good job. Any sampler can do it too- hours of fun to be had playing with adjusting the loop point on reasonably complex static waveforms.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:09 pm

madtheory wrote:These sounds are not like analogue synths. They're almost all one divided oscillator per octave, which is super easy to synthesize. Synths like the Casio CZ and Korg DWs do a good job. Any sampler can do it too- hours of fun to be had playing with adjusting the loop point on reasonably complex static waveforms.
In fact my old keyboardist was able to program our Alpha Juno to sound pretty damn close to our Ace Tone. We just got tired of lugging the thing around and it was later stolen so it was good that we made the switch anyway.

SkaNeverDies
Gear: Sequential Circuits Prophet 600
Moog MicroMoog
Casio CZ-1000 (x2)
Location: Bay Area, California / Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania

Post by SkaNeverDies » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:30 pm

Wow, these suggestions are AMAZING. Thank you so much to everyone. I guess I should have specified that I am looking for something that I will be able to use live as well as in the studio, which kind of rule out those huge living room combo organs and, to a lesser extent, the soft synths. Will absolutely be able to use the latter for now though - some of these look amazing (won't be able to try them out for a few more days until I'm back home).

But for real, thanks a lot. I will take all of these (and any more) suggestions into consideration and let people know how this starts to pan out.
Current vintage synths:
Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
Moog MicroMoog

Previously owned vintage synths:
Korg Lambda
Casio CZ-1000

perfectdefect
Gear: MPC1000 Kingston MS20 Sigma PolySix JU60 JU106 RS09 TR66 200A Micro Opus 3 Stage 73
Band: infinite now

Post by perfectdefect » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:59 am

Here's a good one on SF bay area craigslist. I've seen these cheaper. Good write up http://www.combo-organ.com/Yamaha/yamaha.htm Same ribbon controller as CS-60/80.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Very common around these parts (Netherlands&Belgium) are the Philipis Philicordas. They go for around 80-100 and have a nice juicy 60's sound and even a built-in spring reverb.

Don't know if they're as easy to find in the States...

Monkey business since 2007!