EMU XTREME LEAD-1

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
NovationLover
Gear: Novation KS Rack, Yamaha RM1x, Behringer UBB1002, Cubase 4.
Band: Dj Uber

EMU XTREME LEAD-1

Post by NovationLover » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi! :D
I've seen that this synth is really cheap used, so, do you think is capable to do a nice supersaw? :?:
I will use it mainly for trance music.

Thanks, Giacomo. :)
TECHNO-TRANCE-GOA FROM ITALY

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
:D
My Soundcloud

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: EMU XTREME LEAD-1

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:27 am

It is the same ROM and sound engine as the command station XL-7. It is just has a keyboard instead of the groovebox controls.

Not sure if that helps.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:04 am

hi,
I used to have a bunch of the emu stuff (the xk6 was my first non-casio keyboard!)... and, the xl1 soundset isn't that bad - especially if you are looking for big dancey synths/leads/stabs. You would also get a lot of other bread and butter electronic stuff (basses, pads, sfx) + some pretty good, if limited, drumkits.
Looking at your gearlist I think it could find its place - the proteus units are multitimbral (16 or 32?) and have a fair amount of polyphony so you can layer things and get a big, full sound. I would say it's worth it for the price they are going for theses days.
You can also expand it with some other roms as well - the vintage synth, beat garden/techno construction + protean drums roms are the best, most desirable and most expensive (of course).

NovationLover
Gear: Novation KS Rack, Yamaha RM1x, Behringer UBB1002, Cubase 4.
Band: Dj Uber

Post by NovationLover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Thank you :D ! And, what about the Korg MS2000R for trance?

Thanks, Giacomo. :)
TECHNO-TRANCE-GOA FROM ITALY

- Novation KS Rack
- Yamaha RM1x
- Berry UBB1002
- Cubase 4
:D
My Soundcloud

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Sir Nose wrote:It is the same ROM and sound engine as the command station XL-7. It is just has a keyboard instead of the groovebox controls.

Not sure if that helps.

Actually there are big differences: they don´t have the sequencer of the command stations and proteus 2500 and the polyphony was reduced from 128 to 64.

Some of the sounds of these romplers consume a LOT of polyphony, depending of the filters you are using. Some
Z-plane filters eat 12 notes, and you will like to use 3 or 4 on them when familiarized with the synthesis.
64 notes is not enough for them if you want to dig them seriously.

Besides, the case is half plastic, half metallic, assembled in China. They are weak, not robust like the command stations.

Creating supersaws? They are romplers, not a JP8080. But that does not mean they are powerful. Actually, a Command station loaded with 4 ROMs is a monster synth, and a infinite source of many, many fantastic sounds.

Also, you will miss one of the best sequencers ever....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma