Kawai K3 (and K3m) programmability

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Kawai K3 (and K3m) programmability

Post by code green » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:08 pm

So, after being won over by various demos, I think I'm gonna spring for one of these (and abandon, at least for now, my thus-far fruitless search for a Microwave I). All things being equal, I think I'd prefer the rack version, but I wonder if any with experience could weigh in on whether (and how) this might affect the ease (or dis-ease) of programming/editing patches. And...do you know of a good stand-alone software editor for this synth?

Any info most appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric/CG

EDIT: Or--anyone have success using a MIDI controller like the BCR2000 with the K3 or K3M?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Kawai K3 (and K3m) programmability

Post by Z » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm

I've got the K3M and programming is not too difficult. Actually a bit easier than the Korg DW/EX series. Simply press the "PARA"meter button, select a parameter from the 50 selector switches and adust the amount with the VALUE buttons.

Enjoy your synth. It sounds great and extremely underrated.

Granulartomatoes

Post by Granulartomatoes » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I have the keyboard version. Editing patches is easy peasy. Just hit a membrane button in edit mode and turn the dial. Very similar to the alpha juno series, but with a much darker bigger sound. :twisted: You probably already know this but in case you didn't the bass drum sounds that come from this synth are just ridiculous!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton

Post by code green » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks so much for the quick replies--and the positive opinions on this synth. I have the AJ2 and, though editing via the alpha wheel is not difficult, I wouldn't call it pleasant, either (which is why I eventually sprang for a deal I found on the PG-300, though the software editor is pretty great)...so if/when I get the K3, I'd be on the hunt for a more immediate interface solution--any thoughts per my OP?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:27 pm

I've never used any sort of programmer hardware or software. There's a bunch of iPad editors, not sure if one is made for the K3 or not. I also remember seeing a custom hardware programmer on MatrixSynth a couple of years ago.

code green

Post by code green » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Z wrote:I've never used any sort of programmer hardware or software. There's a bunch of iPad editors, not sure if one is made for the K3 or not. I also remember seeing a custom hardware programmer on MatrixSynth a couple of years ago.
I saw that custom programmer too--on You Tube...clever re-purposing of a custom controller (for what, I don't remember).

Is it safe to assume that, since the K3 takes sysex, the BCR 2000 is doable?

wjmwpg
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: LoveRock, T40, MG500, JX10 4.0, D-50, Juno 60, VZ10M, CZ1, HT6000, K3m, SX240, Lambda, DSS1, Yamaha SY2, DX11, SQ80, MultiTrak, SammichSID
Band: Gospel Choirs

Post by wjmwpg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 am

Is there anything special I need to do to get my K3m to perform a sysex dump of all the patches? I'm not a noob at this, I can get it done on my CZ-1, SQ80, AX80, D-50, and JX10 . . . but I just can't seem to get the K3m to play ball. Is there something unusual about this baby's method I'm missing?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:32 am

I used a K3m editor to do it before... the manual doesn't show a function for dumping from the front panel, but apparently you can do ti via sysex...

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 am

I'm dabbling with Ctrlr which is a software framework thingy that allows people such as you and I to make MIDI things for our kit. I've just seen this:
http://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/kawai-k3m ... ve-editor/

where the guy has created an editor for the K3!

I've written a few myself, there are many got-yas and hurdles to jump over that take up a lot of time to figure out. Usually a dumb front panel replication is easy but to recall setting, patches etc. takes serious effort. I suppose what I'm saying is, it might not be perfect, complete or do everything, that's for you to code up :lol: