Brick-and-Mortar synth stores in the PNW?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
MasterCProgram
Gear: Korg DW-8000, 2nd Gen Sony Walkman (a.k.a. the 'skipper'), Roland MC 303 (a.k.a. MC Dumpsterbox), Roland MC 500, Eowave Domino, some Yamaha junk.
Band: J.J See / DUMPSTERAC1D

Brick-and-Mortar synth stores in the PNW?

Post by MasterCProgram » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:18 pm

Hello, new here!

Recently I've grown tired of looking on eBay for synths, and the local craigslist doesn't offer much of an alternative out here.

Basically, I'm looking to see if anyone knows any physical stores near Olympia, WA that sell synths. I'll be willing and totally able to go as far south as Portland or even as far north as Vancouver, BC. Most music stores in my area either stopped buying vintage electronics and only offer new stuff, or they rarely, if ever, buy synthesizers.

I suppose it would be too much to ask to browse a wide range of vintage analog equipment these days, but I want to get as close to that as possible.

Thanks for the help!

MasterCProgram
Gear: Korg DW-8000, 2nd Gen Sony Walkman (a.k.a. the 'skipper'), Roland MC 303 (a.k.a. MC Dumpsterbox), Roland MC 500, Eowave Domino, some Yamaha junk.

Re: Brick-and-Mortar synth stores in the PNW?

Post by MasterCProgram » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:54 am

Since so many people have been looking, but not responding, I figured I'd post my findings.

Went to the friendly, local guitar shop, Capital City Guitars and asked someone there. Haven't checked myself, yet, but here's a short list of places he came up with offhand;

Trading Musician, Seattle
Guitar Maniacs, Tacoma
and Musician's Exchange, Tacoma.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:50 am

Nothing constant, but Trade Up Music and Old Town Mudic here in Portland get some stuff in...

MasterCProgram

Post by MasterCProgram » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:28 am

hyphen nation wrote:Nothing constant, but Trade Up Music and Old Town Mudic here in Portland get some stuff in...
Thanks! I'll have to check them out. I found a few stores that buy auctioned off storage and made my presence known. Maybe they'll give me a call someday! I can see it now... "Hi, we found something you might be interested in. Letsee, it says... Roland Jupiter... 8. Yeah, 200 bucks and it's yours." /unlikely

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:07 am

if you are in Portland, take a spin through todays craigslist...there is a Jupiter 6, MS-20, OB-XA,an Andromeda,a RE 301 Chorus Echo, MicroMoog, in the last week stuff I've seen sell: a DC 50, a Source, and a Roland guitar controller [GR500?] + GR 300 on there for a few days...it's been killing me, having my $$$ sewn up for Holiday gifts seeing all this awesome stuff going by...

MasterCProgram

Post by MasterCProgram » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 pm

I feel you there. Also recently been informed of a place in Vancouver WA called "Adventures in Analog"... Overpriced for the bargain-hunter in me, but still very cool that such a place exists.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:09 pm

MasterCProgram wrote:
I'll be willing and totally able to go as far south as Portland or even as far north as Vancouver, BC.
Thanks for the help!
Considering the type of music the local scene produced, I'd think Vancouver probably wouldn't be a bad place to look. :D

blakeq

Post by blakeq » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:19 am

Briz Loan and Guitar used to have a bunch of used synth stuff, Have not been there in a while but they are like a music pawn shop. In Vancouver, Wa.