New. Fresh. and Exciting!

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

New. Fresh. and Exciting!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:52 pm

I've been chasing the 'vintage' bug for quite sometime and have owned a couple pieces (Prodigy, Juno 6, and currently Prophet 5). I also own a fantastic modern remake of a classic piece - the Voyager OS.

Buuuuuuut....

I'm now lusting for something modern. Something new. Something not trying to emulate 'vintage.' It has to have an exceptional palette of sonics, super expressive qualities and be inspiring to play. BUT, I don't want to menu dive (too much). I'm going to try and be open minded, but I have yet to run across a virtual analog device that turns me on. So lets start by avoiding them....

Preferably polyphonic. Definitely with aftertouch.

So far, I really dig the sonic possibilities of the DSI Poly Evolver, especially if I can utilize that poly-chain feature with a Tetra to expand the polyphony! (Has anyone here experienced that combo?)

I'd like to stick between $2000-$3000 for the top of my price range.

What else is out there?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: New. Fresh. and Exciting!

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:35 am

Evolvers can only polychain with other Evolvers (mono or poly). You could polychain a PEKey with a PERack for 8 voices (up to 16 max), you'd just squeak in under $3000 if you buy used.

Tetra, Mopho and Prophet 08 can polychain with each other (within limits of the common features...like no subs on Prophet)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

I don't think the tetra can be used to expand the evolver's polyphony, other evolvers with evolver yes....tetra with mopho yes...prophet 08 with tetra yes...

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 am

Access Virus synths are all that. A new one would just pass the budget, but a slightly older B, C, or TI would work. My Virus changed the way I feel about VA. I thought I *needed* analog, but...
Bassist, synth junkie

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 am

Bah, figures.

Outside of the whole DSI thing, what else are you guys digging?

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:36 am

I've gor a pek and love it. For the money you've got to work with i'd say omega 8. Andromeda is an option as well. Temptest+PEK?

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:31 am

Waldorf Q. Get the keyboard of you want a full set of knobs.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

bouzoukijoe1

Post by bouzoukijoe1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 pm

after I got tired of chasing around vintage analog, I decided modular was the way to go. granted that you have to be comfortable with a different approach towards polyphony, but definitely modular is the $#*!. for the kind of music I like, I didn't need traditional polyphony anyway.

software can be a good alternative too, but I prefer to be hands on, so I stuck with analog. here's one of the videos that inspired me to move in that direction. (I went large format though and got a Dotcom.)

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I haven't played one yet, but so far the Virus hasn't turned me on. The Waldorf stuff seems pretty cool, but I'd want the one of those Q's with analog filters - I can't find anyone who has them in stock and the $4200 is a little outta my price range. Further more, at that price point, I'd most likely end up with the Omega 8. That thing looks amazing and expandable!

At some point, I know I'll end up with a modular system, but its not what I'm looking for at the moment.

The PEK + Tempest option is pretty knarly, but once again we're headed to the $4000 price tag. Still. its a damn shame not being able to poly chain the Tetra to that PEK. I would have gone with that combo in a heartbeat.

I am interested in the PEK + PEK Rack combo, but I haven't found any of the rack versions yet to price out. I'm kind of thinking about the PEK + Evolver rack combo, but I've always felt short handed with the 5 voice thing on the Prophet as it is.....

While we're on the DSI tangent, The P08 is another valid option. I had one before I got the P5, but at the time I was heavy into the vintage sound and was anti computer programming (the 0-127 value thing drove me NUTS). I sold it to buy the P5.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys!

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:51 pm

There is the solaris, but you are hitting $4000 mark again.

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris-overview.html
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Sir Nose wrote:There is the solaris, but you are hitting $4000 mark again.

http://www.johnbowen.com/solaris-overview.html
Wow, thats an interesting piece. I like the potential depth, but from the video I can already tell I'm not going to like staring at those editing screens all day! But man, talk about infinite options. Of course, I'm annoyed at the 'emulate everything' attitude...

if I'm going to spend 4k+ on a synth, I need to be in LOVE with it!

cgren72

Post by cgren72 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

i know this is most likely completely not what your looking for at all, and its software, but image lines Harmor is diffrent from any other synth ive used. you should download a demo of it and try it if you use any software. its additive, and im just starting to get used to it. at first it was a little confusing, but if you get used to it it seems pretty useful. If you are against software, im not sure where youll get additive this good.
i know this isnt an additive thread, but it is alot diffrent

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:42 am

All I really have to add is a vote for the PEK + PER combo or the Andromeda if you can find one. Great choices.
bonne chance

samuraipizzacat29
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:33 pm

alesis ion or jp8000?
poly, sound modern, no menu diving. cheap. you'd get a lot of mileage out of an ion and there's always someone looking to buy.

or you could grab yamaha an1x or a dx7 and just load available patches into the machine. dx synths have ridiculous patch libraries online and the an1x is very wealthy in that department as well. an1x is a bit more conducive to loading a patch and then tweaking it as opposed to fm synths were you need to be an engineer.

waldorf stuff is always nice. maybe a micro q keyboard would suit you.

unless you're using the "osc slop" feature on the dsi synths, they sound just as cold and digital (imho) as anything else once the initial "it's analog" bug wears off. the tetra/mopho I really bonded with because of the sub-osc's, but if you plan to hold on to an evolver long-term it'll most likely be for the sequences, leads, and harsh noise rather than mono-synth basslines. something really flexible and analog sounding needs to have VCO's.

for pads I like software. a lot more flexible etc.

if you're just after that airy or full sound, run a digital through an mf-101 or a good tube.

...... or you could just buy it all.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Another vote here for the Andromeda. Fits all your criteria, can be found in your price range (with a little bit of patience). Sounds awesome, incredible programming possibilities, 16 voices (talk about multitimbrality), great interface (IMO) = endless fun.